Potential Ryan Young Clinic 12-13 April in NC

Discussion in 'Trials' started by GrayEagleRider, Feb 6, 2014.

1. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Looks like everybody had a blast!

Sorry we missed it.

I never let anyone take my GG for a test drive. I did twice to experienced off road buddies and they both ran as hard as they could to catch the little sucker.

Hard to explain how 130 lbs of metal can make you sweat and and laugh so much till you "ride" one.:lol3:loll:lol3
  2. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    you were missed EDK!
  3. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to checking the video out :evil
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Trying to figure out what was bing taught/done here and why?

Funny none the less. :rofl
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Flip turn over a log. None of which happened in that attempt. :lol3
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Finally got a few images edited & ready for prime time.

Let's practice turning. Wait, this is harder than I thought.

[​IMG]

Now small wheelies. Ohs noes, my front wheel is off the ground! :eek1

[​IMG]

Stu killin' the section at the end of Sat. Yes, it's THAT steep!

[​IMG]

Corey cleaned it as well. :thumb

[​IMG]

And because Ryan Young...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have more, but that's the best. Plus, I ran out of out of memory. Bad on me for having a short card in the camera.

PS, I'm coming back for the next one. Again! :nod
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    One last thang. While the knee still doesn't work as it should, it's getting better. Although now it's turning some very interesting colors. :D

I'll be ready by June. :thumb
  8. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    Cool Huzband. Glad you're feeling better. :wink:

June 2 day should be fun! :clap
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Knees are weird. I worked on a friends GS yesterday, & the pain woke me every hour through the night. Four hours on my feet at church today & it didn't hurt as much as I expected. Although I did down 1000 mg of Ibuprofen before I left the house. After lunch I tie back into said friends GS. Gradually through the afternoon the knee is hurting less & less. I finish the GS & decide it's time to clean the Sherco from last weekend. By the time I'm done, the knee is feeling good enough to try a kick or two. Three kicks later & the Sherco is running. And it's not more than uncomfortable.

Suddenly the knee bends & has strength it didn't have this time yesterday. I don't get it, but it is Easter. I'll take every blessing I can get. :thumb
  10. joebiodiesel

joebiodiesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You know how new guys always have outlandish ideas? Unfortunately you are about to hear another one. :tb

While at the Ryan Young class we ran a short trials section where we applied some of what we had learned during the day. A lot of us noobs really enjoyed that, and I know I'm not alone in the fact that I sure would have liked to do some more.

I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the rest of the class, or question the format at all. That is definitely not the case, but it did get me thinking, so I would like to see what others thought about it.

I think it would be cool to have a bunch of sections laid out just like an actual trials event. It would have different paths for the various skill levels, so you could choose to ride within your skill set, or ride above it, and get coaching on what you did correctly and incorrectly. I know that that kind of activity would help my riding immensely because when I goof up, I don't know what I did incorrectly. With Ryan yelling "Get Down" and "Lean the bike to the right" etc, it made me immediately see the error of my ways in a real trials riding situation. I have to believe I would get as much out of that as the class that was just held.

So, my questions are:
    1) Does anyone else think that would be a good idea?
    2) Would anyone be interested in attending a class like that? (I am certain i would enjoy a reunion of the same crowd we just had)
    3) Would the logistics be too much? (I know it's not easy to set up all the sections for a trials event)
    4) What else am I missing?

Joe
  11. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    We've had many students ask the same questions Joe. It's very beneficial to get section coaching, but it all goes back to having good fundamental bike skills.

We can do another one in that format if there's enough interest, and I can talk Ryan into doing a section type clinic. Best time to do it would be immediately after a trails competition when the sections are still laid out.

Best recommendation is to ride with buddies that are open to minding and working with you on section type riding instead of just free riding.
  12. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
  13. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
  14. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:

Yeah, maybe I should have emphasized the IF part.
  15. joebiodiesel

joebiodiesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's not that I couldn't afford either the time or the fees, but I think you'd have to have some incredible stamina to get your money's worth on a full day of training like that. Also, as a new guy, I want to try applying what I've learned so far before attempting another class. I owe it to myself to ride like a fool in the next few local trials events before making another investment in training. My thoughts on this were more along the line of learning the skill, then immediately applying it in a real-world situation to reinforce it.

THW, that is a good idea to hold a clinic like that right after an event. That sure would take some of the work out of the setup. I am sure I will continue to get some good coaching at the remaining trials events this summer. Everyone did a great job of looking out for me at Lawrenceville. I got some great advice from everyone in my group.

Joe
  16. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another good way to spend a day riding would be to focus on one technique that is out of your "comfort zone," such as the jap zap for me. :eek1

Spend a couple of hours working that technique early then set up a section that you must use that technique in. That way you are focusing your day on one technique versus getting overwhelmed with trying to improve several techniques in a short amount of time. This approach would be much less of a logistical burden while letting a new rider focus on refining basic techniques to build on. Just a thought
  17. joebiodiesel

joebiodiesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That makes good sense. In a few weeks I am going to take some vacation days. I plan to do some catfishing, work on a few cars, and practice a few days in a row on my trials bike. I'm hoping I can master a few basics, so I can ride with a little more confidence.
    Joe
  18. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    There is not anything in Intermediate that requires a Jap Zap. Remember what Ryan said..."You can double blip most anything up to about 3 ft". And also something else he said..."A Jap Zap is a riskier maneuver than executing a splatter, and takes way more energy".

Where I'm going with this is...focus on skill sets that are appropriate to the class you're riding, and as you advance in your class, start to add more advanced skills. Take a floater turn for example...not a skill required in Sportsman...Sportsman should not have to execute a turn tighter than full lock according to most club rules.

Just some things to think about.
  19. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point...still want to be able to do a good jap zap. :D

I should have used "log crossings" vice "jap zap" in previous comment. I think it is more effective, for me at least, focusing on fewer techniques at one time compared to riding several sections and trying to improve in several techniques in the same amount of time. Also good to take advantage of a group ride to have a minder or two help with techniques that you would not try alone....skidder tire. :eek1
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    TW & GER make good points. However, we could practice these maneuvers in a field till the cows come home & still not perfect them. After all, we didn't start trials when we were eight years old. :D

Anywho, I think it's a great idea to have a series of sections marked out to practice in with professional critiques. A real world scenario as it were. I'd be there.