The rarest, most unusual bike you've ever OWNED

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Al Goodwin, Nov 5, 2012.

1. blues

blues Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 430 ( I think ) Husky automatic. It was going to be my ticket to the Expert class, instead I became expert in Swedish Motorcycle electrical systems. Unfortunately they didn't give out trophies for that although it was as challenging as any enduro I've ridden.
  2. Cactus Dave

Cactus Dave Born to Argue

Oddometer:
    Harris framed SRX600 road racer:

[​IMG]

These were made for the British Singles championship in the mid-90's, and I believe one won the Singles TT at the IOM in '95. In addition to the Harris frame, they use TZ250 running gear. I don't know how many were made, but it is a rare piece of kit.

This one is fully sorted and happens to be for sale . . . . :evil

Cheers,

Dave
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Now that's cool! :thumb
  4. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    indeed! :tb
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is purty. Nice paint scheme on that TZ bodywork too. My son recently bought back his '97 TZ and it sitting in my storage unit. Makes me want to restore it in silver over yellow.
  6. Cactus Dave

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Here are a few more shots:

[​IMG]

I've replaced the pipe shown above with one I designed and Jemco built. It pulls sooooo much better than the abortion above which came with the bike. I just finished dialing it in Monday at Talladega GP, which is why it is for sale: I love the bike, but I don't fit on it. I'm 6'-2", 210 lbs and 55 years old. This bike is small, and I'm inflexible. I have enjoyed building it and making it right and dialing it in. But, either it can sit in my shop as a collector's piece, or it can be used on the race track and bring a lot of fun and satisfaction to someone. Unfortunately, it won't be me - I had a helluva a time Monday with the laps I put on with my big, old and creaky ass. Admittedly, Talladega will work ya' - there is no chance to rest. But, I also ran my SV650 race bike and my brother's CBR600F4i, and neither folded me and forced me into the contortions required to operate a TZ250 sized machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In its current configuration, it has a stock SRX600 engine in it, with 34 mm Mikuni RS flat slides. It was those carbs which I wanted to get dialed in. They are half of a set of 4, and I needed to get the correct combination of needles and jets to match the SRX600. I finally found the correct combo Monday, and it pulls like a freight train, and carves like a scalpel - exactly what the Harris Bro's had in mind in the mid-90's.

It's a nice piece of kit, but she'll eventually be moving along.

Cheers,

Dave
  7. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Dave - I built a Honda NT650 racer, same problem. I'm the same size as you, a bit younger, but already having flexibility problems. Cool bike, nicely turned out.
  9. Cactus Dave

Oddometer:
    Al -

I'm thinking of my next project, once the Harris moves along. Because I have a plethora of SRX's (mostly 600's, but I do have a cherry 250), I'm thinking of trying to find an SRX mono-shock frame (from the UK), putting a late model upside down fork on it, 17" wheels, and lightening it as much as possible. That way I can put an SRX engine in, have the opportunity to use the best rubber available with good (stiff) forks and a decent monoshock, and it will be on a platform that is closer to something that will (relatively) comfortably accomodate my big ass. I've road raced my stock SRX (1986 US twin shock model with 35 mm spindles up front) at Mid-Ohio, and it was fine . . . up to a well defined limit. At that point, it started talking very convincingly to me that if I continued to push, it would have its way with me and I'd be very, very disappointed that I did not heed its warnings. Sorta like my 1971 Norton Commando.

The issue is sourcing a UK/European SRX mono-shock frame (1988 - 1995?). I know there were a lot of SRX400's in the UK (the lower displacement limit popular with younger riders for licensing purposes), but I don't know if SRX400 frames are the same dimensions, mounting points, etc., as SRX600 frames. Anyone know?

What is it about us "full framed" guys and itty bitty road racers? I think there should be a handicap system to even the playing field with the Dani Pedrosa's of the world. :D

Cheers,

Dave
  10. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    My first bike, a Benelli, similar to this nice example. I need to dig out and scan some old pics.

[​IMG]
  11. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the 400's were sleeved down 600's.
  12. sgmartz

sgmartz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rarest bike I've owned is the actual Kawi from top gun
    crk likes this.
  13. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!

You wouldn't have purchased that a couple years ago from a gentleman in Colorado, would you?
  14. stefan tilden

stefan tilden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a kid I wanted a Road Toad something fierce.... still do. There is a web page with a ton of info on them.
    http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/hodakadays.html
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uk2hfmeQqiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:

Yeah, I feel ya! I've had bikes like that -- my '83 Katana would wind up like a spring and go into a vicious tank-slapper if you pushed it too hard over rough pavement. After a couple shit-my-pants moments, I learned not to push hard over rough pavement. :deal

And, yeah, you're right: big guys on little bikes. I like them because I can *really* throw them around, and make them do exactly what I want them to do. Also, rider weight as a percentage of the bike weight plays a big part in your ability to control ground clearance -- that's why nobody (almost nobody) hangs off on a Gold Wing.

--------------

Back on topic, when I saw that adorable Benellli, I realized that my former pit bike qualifies as unusual and uncommon, if not outright rare... a Honda ZB50 --- it's a one-year only bike. Not my pic:

[​IMG]
  16. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTF?
    That's production?
    Looks like a bastard/hack job..
    I like it!
  17. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Nope, all stock, came that way with the cool permeter frame. Kind of wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. In fact, I can't even remember who I sold it to...

Here's the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_ZB50
  18. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    C'mon, man. SC to PA and back is a doable one-day gig. You can even knock down the PA seller on the blue paint on the frame.

I used to joke that it was the best running bike I owned.
  20. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Victory Vision 8-Ball. Victory made it for 2 years, I don't think they sold a lot of them.

Unusual? The first question at gas stops is - "WTF is that thing?"

[​IMG]