Battery Charging etc.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ks_Gman, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Ks_Gman

Ks_Gman Rank outsider

Oddometer:
    In all the threads about batteries, I never found a topic specifically about this.

The manual says that if you don't use KTM's high-dolla charger, you have to dismount the battery to charge it. My 08 came with a pig-tail attached, so I'm guessing the PO did not adhere to the manual.

Is it ok to just use my trickle-charger on a pigtail wired directly to the + and - terminals of the battery for charging and maintenance?

Side note, I'm guessing this battery has about had it. I bought a lithium type battery for my 300 and the thing has been nails. What's the school of thought on these for the big bikes? Any specs and brands other owners have purchased would be appreciated!

GW.
  2. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
  3. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope every thing got sorted Brents...did the nail the tail to the charger or battery in the end..
  4. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The battery does not need to be on the charger continuously. I usually charge-up mine for an hour or two at a time while I am in the garage and if voltage drops below 12.75 or so. Once or twice a week for an hour or two is enough to keep the battery at top condition. I do that whether I use the bike daily or not since our charging systems are less than perfect.

On the other hand, if the bike is not going to move for several weeks, then removing the battery from the bike is a no brainer and not a hassle either.
  5. SF_Rider

SF_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a powerlett plug in with pig tail that goes to my dash power port. No fires yet
  6. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 I use a Battery tender plus via the dash plug and it works just fine. I let it run over night once every couple of weeks.
    If it's easy and convenient to do the more often it will get done.
  7. Ks_Gman

Ks_Gman Rank outsider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Brent. I read the whole thread and man, I'm sorry that happened. Thankful no one was hurt, that's for sure.

Greg
  8. Ks_Gman

Ks_Gman Rank outsider

Oddometer:
    Sorry for my ignorance here...the stock power/accessory outlet can also be used to "push" a charge back to the battery?

Is there a place to get an adapter that fits that weird/small power point and also a Tender?
  9. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Cause has never been determined, or at least no one bothered to tell me. Which is fine, I'm busy with a house to rebuild!