I Like Station Wagons, I cannot Lie!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by vegasphotog, Nov 2, 2009.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    PS.. If someone buys that car I will delivery it to you.. prolly a little better on gas than a Unimog.. and I guarantee you 55mph is not its top speed...

:D
  2. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    Thats way overpriced. I've been shopping in California for a 3 series wagon. 5 series outnumber them 5-1 and that car should go for $10k or less. Ok, with low miles, maybe $12k.
  3. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    It certainly seems a bit on the highside... maybe it would be worth it for a hardcore enthusiast.. but still... I'm guessing it could be had for $12k-$14k.. just such an odd mix of low miles, color and engine...

Good I'd love to take it for a few road trips though...

Be a perfect rig for a high-speed grand tour of Quebec and the Maritime Provinces...

There are NO cops in Canada from what I observed on my trips there.. Great place for this thing to stretch its legs...
  4. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Oh there is cops alright, you just watch your speeding on horseback in town.

[​IMG]

I agree on the 5 series being on the high side, I just black booked my '02 M-sport and it was $7-8k wholesale with just under 100k

DW
  5. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Volvo wagons didn't sell because they aren't very good. The V50 was a joke: small, slow, odd looking, and expensive.

A buddy had a V70XC. He had a ton of problems. At the same time his wife bought an Outback and had zero problems. When they went looking for their next wagon, the Volvo was $39,000 and the most expensive Outback they could find was $30,000 or so. So they now own two Outbacks.

No one who is nostalgic for those old Detroit monsters ever drove one.
  6. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an opportunity to drive a '73 Kingswood Estate a couple of times in late '81. I thought it was a well-mannered road car for long-distance cruising, but I was comparing it to things I had driven at the time. I'm sure I'd complain about it being heavy, thirsty, and noisy now. I did like the hideaway electric tailgate.
  7. Carlo Muro

Carlo Muro Herr Schadenfreude the Good Knievel

Oddometer:
    i think on the open road it would still be acceptable. I wouldn't especially want to hit the twisties or have to stop in a hurry but on a trip from say Virginia to Colorado it'd be sweet!
  8. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Finally got some bigger wheels on the Mom Wagon:

[​IMG]
  9. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    What, no snow?

Looks nice, Mr. Mom. :lol3
  10. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Found a complete 740 wagon to act as a parts donor for the current one. Should keep it going for another 600,000km. :lol3
  11. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed
  12. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spotted here in OC.

[​IMG]

Came from Arizona, on it's way somewhere.

[​IMG]
  13. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the opinion on a few year old Audi 2.0T AWD wagon? It's not RS6 sexy I know, but solid? Or do you just consider them a glorified VW with the same associated issues?
  14. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    If you can fit in one and can get it with a certified warranty, I'd go for it.

The 2.0T is plenty of motor for everything I need to do with a car, and gets good gas mileage all the time.
  15. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there not much room in there for the driver? I may go sit in it tomorrow, but the more I look at pictures, the more I'm not really into it. Probably needs premium gas with the turbo as well.
  16. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    I have no space issue in either of our cars, but you are 6-7 inches taller than I am IIRC.

I use premium when the temps are above 60F, but regular the rest of the time. You could run regular all the time if you wanted.....the knock sensor will just roll back the timing if it pings.
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    This week I met a guy with a 90,000 mile A4 2.0t that had an oil pump failure. $ 8500 later. Sure, it's just one instance, I don't know if it's a regular thing.
    There is an Audi dealer in Auto mall where I work and the Audi owners I meet who are there for service mention that they prefer to keep them while they're under warranty.
  18. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:

I've also read about an oil pump failure once on the Passat list. I think its actually a bolt in the chain drive system for the oil pump that fails (they had an issue with the same thing on VR6 motors), but of course that is still a ridiculous failure.
  19. 91Eunos

91Eunos zipper suited sun god

Oddometer:
  20. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Luv the wagon thread, got new wheels and tires on mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.