The Complete KLX250/KLX300 Long Term Review Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. charleshmosesii

charleshmosesii No skills no worries

Oddometer:
    schweet. Takin' notes. :type
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this bike is really great-------the 6th gear is what makes it so desirable I think. I sold my DRZ400S because of it's 5 speed.
  3. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet the frame part numbers are the same ??
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Buy one Mark, you've had everything else:D

Congrats on the Husky BTW...you bastard:lol3
  5. alternateimpact

alternateimpact Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey!

I am following this thread closely, as I just bought a KLX 250 S up here in West coast Canada. I am really lookin forward to gettin out there and playing in the dirt like I did when I was young!:D

Plus the insurance is cheap on it, and its an alternative to my sport bike, which I dont want to ride in our cold weather

I am picken mine up tommorow, and am real excited!

BTW is it true that the KLX 250 S comes with a skidplate already? cause I didnt notice it when I was test riding it, but someone told me they do
  6. compman21234

compman21234 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skid plate is rather small, directly under the engine, between the frame rails -- gotta look to find it. It protects the bottom of engine, but does nothing for gravel, etc. thrown back from front wheel into front of engine.
    I'm looking for a plate that will also curve up in front of engine a little.
  7. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

The complete frame numbers are:

KLX300 32160-1757-458
    KLX250 32160-0149-458

The middle set are different -- does anybody know if that denotes a physically different part, or just a different model application?
  8. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    The one pictured above is the CRD as suggested. It's available from FourStrokesOnly.com for a wallet busting $129 but I guess that's the price I'm going to have to pay to keep the rocks off.
  9. Jeff49783

Jeff49783 Private ASEL

Oddometer:
    Todd,

Thank for the good info. That is one nice ride!

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
  10. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    The first few tanks have been between 55 and 60 but that includes a lot of offroad so I don't have a good sense of street mileage yet.
  11. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi from Australia guys and gals. I'm new to the forum, I have a KLR 250 and am drooling over the KLX 250. I'm seriously considering buying one very soon so am following this thread with interest.
    The KLX 250 has been available here in Aus since 1980 and I remember reading about it and drooling then, it was basicly a KDX175 with a four stroke motor shoehorned in. According to the reviews it was a bit sluggish but the rest of the package was gold :D
    I was amazed to read in these forums that the 2006 is the first of these great bikes to hit the states. I'd love a KLX 300 but the registration and insurance is so much cheaper for the 250.
    At the moment Kawasaki has discounted the 250 over $1000 and throwing in a 300cc big bore kit, I just cant pass that offer up! Anyway don't wanna bore you all just thought I'd say hi and please keep updating this thread.
    Cheers
  12. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were here in 1980, then they went away. There is an official 300 cc big bore kit?
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Can you find out if there is a Kawasaki part # for that big bore kit?
  14. compman21234

Oddometer:
    Yeah -- I wanna know too. Or maybe a parts list?
  15. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep I'll try
  16. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the local dealer, they are taking summer holidays, prolly be back next week, so I rang another dealer in a bigger city and they say its not an official Kawasaki kit, that its just a KLX 300 barrell, rings and the other bits needed to make up a big bore kit made up by the dealers as an added incentive to purchase the KLX 250 (as if its needed).

Sorry to get your hopes up
  17. klx400kev

klx400kev Faster in the dirt

Oddometer:
    That KLX250S is a nice looking bike. The only thing that seems strange to me about this bike is the right footpeg mount. (weird)
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The KLX250 has been sold here in Japan for years. Looks like the main difference with the KLX250S is the meter package. The J-spec one gets a digital guage.
    http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/model/klx250/feature.jsp

If the KLX does well maybe Suzuki will release its Djebel 250xc stateside. 4.5 gallon gas tank and rally headlight :deal

[​IMG]
  19. compman21234

Oddometer:
    I want one....now. Right now.
  20. alternateimpact

alternateimpact Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey its me again!

I have had my KLX for about 2 weeks now, and I absolutly love it! The parts for it are a little scarce right now but should soon change. I got renthal handle bars Acerbis hand guards, aftermarket skid plate and rad guard. Still waiting for the parts to come in, so I have been taking it pretty easy offroad until then. I also gotta get the suspension set up for my height and weight, as I am sure it doesnt come set up for a 5'11 200 pound guy!

Have you got a clear picture of the fuel range on yours yet? I got about 110 kms on reserve....thats what it was switched to whwn I bought it. I like to know what the approximitly what the range is for the main and reserve tanks. someone told me they get about 4 hours per tank offroad, but no idea what that would be in Km's.

[​IMG]

If you dont mind I will post up some pics of my bike on here to
    Taylorericjohn likes this.