Let's see your built/WIP scale models

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Green427, May 28, 2012.

1. Green427

Green427 Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer:
    Mine are mostly 1/24 & 1/25 vehicles. Most are works-in-progress, but here are some of them. If you have any, post pics! Airplanes, ships, etc, are welcome!

1965 Vette with custom parts & paint, including photo-etched emblems, license plate frame, bare-metal foil trim, etc. Took me a couple years to build this, about 95% complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1955 Chevy pickup (currently working on this one), will be painted in Boyd's Custom Blue:

[​IMG]

Built this super stock Dodge Coronet years ago:

[​IMG]

'51 Chevy street rod, in progress for 8 years now. Still haven't touch it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'74 Dodge Dart 340....my neighbor had one that I loved, and I am trying to make it look exactly like his. Note the plastic fascia behind the front bumper, it is grey, exactly like the real thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    airheadPete, DyrWolf, No-Fret and 2 others like this.
  2. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are my firecrackers? My dad used to build really nice ww2 models, then a few would come up missing, he was not happy. Car looks nice wish I still had some of those models, kids.
  3. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work
  4. Mr. J

Mr. J Banned

Oddometer:
    " ... in progress for 8 years now. Still haven't touch it."

these things (hobbies) take on a life of their own. i have boxed kits from 20 years ago that i'll get around to building 'some day'. nice looking.
  5. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not as nice as yours, but my second model that I built. Paint came out very good I thought.

[​IMG]

I then got into something a bit more fun.

How it arrived:

[​IMG]

When I was done:

[​IMG]
  6. Green427

Oddometer:
    True dat.

If you have any unbuilt car kits and want to sell them, please let me know....especially any American cars from the '60s and '70's.

Thanks to all for the compliments.
  7. Green427

Oddometer:
    Looks good to me, great pics. I haven't built an airplane since I was a kid back in the '70's and they disappeared during one of our many moves. :cry
  8. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze The Great Unwashed Mass

Oddometer:
    That's a really nice looking plane, is it what they call an ARF? Electric? Been thinking about getting into RC flying but don't know much about it. Always did control line as a kid. Where did you get it?
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  9. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah this was an ARF, or almost ready to fly. Just had to add servos, esc, motor, prop, and radio gear. I also added landing gear from the e-flite super cub, and du-bro bush wheels. The model itself is a CMP clipped wing cub. About 4' wingspan. I got it from hobbyking.com when they had them in stock in their US warehouse for $50. It was totaled on it's 5th flight when the battery disconnected itself and I lost all control and watched it stall then crash into the ground. Balsa is not easy to repair, so I just replaced it with a new plane. I am building the CMP Super Cub also from hobbyking. Its the same fuselage but 6' wingspan, and flaps. It ran me about $120 for the ARF, and I am re-using the electronics from the wrecked plane.

For a starter, I would recommend a foam trainer. Foam can be glued together with gorilla glue you pick up at Lowe's. Easy crash repair. Around 4.5' wingspan is a good size. I had a 4 channel cessna 182 that I taught myself on. I really recommend getting a Spektrum DX6i radio. You can get a USB cable to connect it to your computer and then use it on a RC flight simulator. I used clearview because it happened to have my plane in it. After 3 days flying on the sim and taxiing the plane around the neighborhood I figured I was ready to fly and took it for a spin. I got it in the air and at altitude. I was able to trim it and then started shooting approaches until I was able to pull off a full stop landing. I flew about 3 more times all with full stop landings before I was done for the day.

As a disclaimer, I have been around airplanes since I can remember. I have time in single engine piston aircraft, and tons of sim time. It was easy for me to pick up but YMMV. I suggest finding a club and joining. They will help you select a plane and train you. Many clubs however, are big fans of gas and not electric. You need to make that choice for yourself.
  10. azcycle

azcycle Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Nice! I was really into building scale models back in high school. I was obsessed with B-17s at the time and built one that resembled the Memphis Belle from the movie around that time. I knew it was a Hollywood fabrication. But it was fun to watch the film and write down all of the damage, then try to replicate that on the scale model. It was pretty impressive.

Also built a replica of my 1965 Mustang, down to the correct and rare color. I ordered the paint through one of my Mustang parts catalogs so it was an exact match. That was a fun car to build.

No photos of anything, though.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  11. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    One of my best buddies Grand father was a real pro at building scale RC Aircraft. He won many awards doing it. He took one on as a long project, a 1/5th (HUGE) scale F6F with such detail they were due to use it in a Movie. It took him about 8 years to build. The motor alone cost like $8000.00. Well, he finished it and went out for the test flight and crashed it straight into the ground at almost full throttle. He began another build two days later.
  12. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a video of a corsair once that was an awesome RC airplane. It was huge and had a scale radial engine. It even had folding wings. The video turned away from the plane right before the wings folded mid flight. As you can imagine, it went right into the ground. They showed the plane being brought back in, and it was just a pile of toothpicks. The engines case was even cracked as well as a couple pistons.
  13. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a truck I made last year. I built the bumpers, stacks, rear fenders, sun visor, and stretched it too. [​IMG] :lol3

[​IMG]
    DyrWolf, No-Fret and VxZeroKnots like this.
  14. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze The Great Unwashed Mass

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the advice and will heed it. Thanks for taking the time!:thumb
  15. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude. Awesome. I really like the model semi trucks. I thought about building one, but I got into the RC stuff and stopped building model kits. I really enjoyed it. I think when I am done building my current plane I am going to go back to models.
  16. Green427

Oddometer:
    That is pretty good for scratchbuilt parts. Truck looks awesome.
  17. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    theres a vid on youtube of a bunch of guys who build a B29, dont know the scale but its easily a 10' span, four engines etc the works, and its the one with chuck yeagers X-1 underneath, there are a couple of months worth of clips of them flying it, dropping the X-1 (which is also R/C with its own rocket motor) and assorted stuff, and then in the last one the wing root goes in a turn and the whole thing turns to matchwood in front of their eyes. heartbreaking.
  18. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks!
  19. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:

20. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    This is a Tamya Challenger tank I built a few years back. I used to work away from home so did this to 'escape' and pass the time
    took about 6 months of random evenings / nights
    I am really impressed, it came out better than I thought it would, but I dont think the pictures do it justice

Hay Ewe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    DyrWolf, No-Fret and beemerkid like this.