The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's pretty bad :huh

I have the full TraX luggage plus the full Altrider complement of protection.
    I am not light on the gas either, traffic lights are like drag strips for me and I occasionally feel my boot scrapping :wink:

Maybe we should add our weight to the equation, nobody knows how tall we are so weight doesn't mean much, don't be embarrassed :lol3

I will start, I'm 155lbs :D
  2. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm close to that average as well. I've never seen in the 40's for an average.

29 was my lowest average tank.... I don't think this had a thing to do with it.:augie

[​IMG]
  3. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    250 + gear.

Jackson, NJ...wait for it...Great Adventure? You must be totally sick of that by now. I'm up in North Jersey, Newton to be exact. Go ahead, "that's near Space Farms?"

PS: For what it is worth I pretty much ring this bike out everywhere I go. I came off a Buell 1125CR, so I am "adapting" to having 1/3 less HP.
    ac
  4. Tupperware

Tupperware Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need a faster bike :wink:
    [​IMG]
  5. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    :D Yea :lol3

Less HP but I'm sure it pulls harder down low :wink:
  6. ironbutt

ironbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the way to go, after my HIDs I totally lost my desire for driving lights.

I used a kit from FutureVision http://www.futurevisionhid.com, it was pretty straight forward and you can remove it all in less then 10 minutes if you ever want to. Installation took a couple of hours but we were dogging it too.

I put in a 35 watt in the left bulb and 50 watt in the right. The S10 has a mirror that flips up and down, so you get a clean cut off for the low beam and you don't have to worry so much about blinding someone like when you put HID blub in a Gold Wing (which also does not really have the correct reflector for it) but I still thought the 35W in the left was a bit more sane for oncoming traffic.

There is only one modification you really need to make to the S10, you have to cut a hole in each of the two screw in plastic bulb access covers. Since I was not sure I was going to like the lights, I purchased a set of the access covers (I can't remember, I think they were $9 each) or in case I want to put the bike back to stock later. I put the ballast, one on each side, along the fairing nose.

They really light up the night, much better then the driving lights on my V-Strom or the HID lights on my Gold Wing (which again, the Wing reflector, like most, does not really work well with HIDs).

The only other decision is if you want to run a relay. I measured the stock bulb draw (55 Watt) vs the HIDs (35 and 50) and the HIDs were were the same drain on start up and then less while running (after start up) so did not bother with relay. A purist may want to use a relay but given my measurements I did not elect to do so this time (I always have in the past as I am usually putting in blubs that draw a LOT more power).

And since the S10 has the reflector, there is not a high and low beam (just a flip of a mirror internally) so when you hit the high beams, there is no warm up time, you just get instant high beams. Nice.

They really light up the night!

The kits I used are (but it is better to ask for Bruno - bruno@futurevisionhid.com):

< http://www.futurevisionhid.com/h7-motorcycle-hid-kit.html>www.futurevisionhid.com/h7-motorcycle-hid-kit.html

DO NOT use Chrome web browser - does not seem to work on the site

YOU NEED TO HAVE COOKIES ON or the site does not work (you can try it first, you will know right away if it does not work)

DO NOT USE THE DOWN ARROWS, for some reason they don't work on all browsers, click on the actual text

in Kelvin (color) select 4300K

Kit Type: 35W/50W Combo (2 Kits) + USD $101.00

Relay: leave as <Please Select>

CANBus Adapter: leave as <Please Select>

Mike
  7. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    let's say you're on the highway all day.. doing 60 to 70 mph, what's your range before you have to refuel?
  8. ridersblock

ridersblock n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody! Here is a pic of my Super Tenere.

[​IMG]
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr Block,

Very nice. Please use it as intended and get it really dirty. :deal
  10. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I add the Touratech luggage rack. Now there is a solid big flat surface full of strap holders. It also protect the OEM plastic surface from scratches, for example if I put the Giant Loop saddlebag.
    The rack in the passenger area is very easy to take off if you want to put the passenger seat. Very clever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I did that for 650Km, with a few towns I cruised through in 6th at 60Km/h :D in Touring mode mostly (if your have to slab Sport mode doesn't Make it interesting), I got.....

4.3L/100Km indicated which turned out to be 4.5L/100km actual :deal

8000 Km on the bike using 95RON fuel at about 27 degrees C average mixture of flat and a few hills. BUT I did descend from 1100M altitude to 365m in the last 400km. The rest was at about 900-1100m altitude.
    So if you have 22.5 litres before the pump sucks air...500km before you are pushing.

I was definitely bored though. The were a few police cars around and lots of radar traps on that road.

Actually I was playing with the dash I was that bored and noticed the the instantaneous fuel reading will not go below 2.5l/100Km. throttle off cruising down a long steep hill.

Those with weird measurements can convert them themselves.
  12. GarageMonkey

GarageMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My HID kit opinions:

I had the Morimoto 3five 35watt kit in my S10.

Reasons for removing were mostly due to not wishing to bet on the kit bulbs and knowing that I wouldn't be able to find H7-base HID bulbs anywhere, but could find H7 bulbs everywhere if I needed a bulb (I could have easily, in a situation like that, converted back to the halogen H7 and just carried around a couple emergency H7 bulbs). The other reason being I wasn't happy with how I routed it.

My feeling is that they need to be installed with a relay. The headlight harness wiring is small gauge. I did not use a relay on my install and the wires were very hot due to the draw on start up. They may have cooled off during normal operation, but I was not comfortable with it and running relays now would save significant hassle if the harness burns up over time (it's usually an over time problem, as the wires go through multiple heat cycles).

IMO, even relaying the halogen H7s you should see an improvement given the small wire size that Yamaha elected to use for the headlamp wiring.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying use relays. I may reinstall my kit down the road as I'm wiring in my auxiliary lights. The increased light output was very nice. :evil

:thumb
  13. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DDMTuning.com has great HID conversion kits. I will be adding 55w HID's to this bike in the coming months.

Fuel economy: I did a 3500 mile ride when I first bought my S10 (left with 850 miles on the clock). My best tank was after cruising non-stop on the Natchez Trace Parkway between 55 and 60 mph at 52 MPG. My worst tank was down in Florida on the interstate cruising about 80mph; 41 MPG. Total trip average was 45.77 MPG.

I weigh in about 150 lb's fully geared up. and I had a tank bag and duffel bag, no panniers. This was entirely in Touring Mode

Around town (in sport mode) the mileage suffers; I'd say 40 is normal, below that is easily accomplished.
  14. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can we see the video of the back of your head?

Very nice bike too.
  15. Big Den

Big Den always looking

Oddometer:
    I have just done 900 miles around France in 40 hours and my average was 45 mpg according to the computer, this did include some high'ish speed motorway runs.
  16. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    or google it!
    4.5l/100km
    52.27 US MPG
    62.77 IMP MPG

Not too shabby! But as you say - BOOOORRRING! ;-)
  17. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Can we see the video of the back of your head?"

I spit my drink out when I read that.

Damn ADV'ers are a funny bunch.
  18. Glierly

Glierly Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Tell me it wasn't a good Single Malt that suffered the indignity.....

Gary
  19. bogman

bogman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What boxes are they? think they would look better on my Explorer 1200 :D
    Nice Tenere by the way, love the colour scheme
  20. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:

thats funny. your right, a pair of protaper SE that my brother needs for kuggumugga this week. :D