Rev-It Sand 2 anyone?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by burmbuster, Jan 31, 2013.

1. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    The EN13595-2 abrasion test involves dropping a 49N (~11 lbs) weight through a distance of 50mm (~2in) on a surface moving 8m/s (~18mph) with 60grit sand paper.

I am a lot heavier than 11 lbs, have fallen a lot more than 2 inches, and move a lot faster than 18mph! That .56 seconds would become even smaller, and a 40% increase over a tiny number is still a tiny number!
    This guy crashed at 45mph, highsided, impacted, and rolled the rest of the way. Those first impact did a number on the jacket.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-jacket (read emanuel's review)
    [​IMG]
    There are simple design choices that manufacturer's can make to significantly improve abrasion resistance (like putting multiple layers in critical areas) - they don't, and they charge you through the nose for it. I had less of an issue when textile jackets were largely cheaper than leather jackets, but the price has been slowly creeping up and up (or at least my tastes have :lol3)
  2. AceRider01

AceRider01 Fully Loaded

Oddometer:
    Yes - dont forget in real life the speed of slide reduces as energy is consumed - so the sliding speed wont be a constant 8m/s...

You really cant extrapolate the # of seconds under EN13595 testing and real-life seconds of survival - they are only good for comparison with other products testing - and yes, you would expect an expensive gear to perform more than 40% better than Levi 501.

Yes double layer is a simple and effective way boosting otherwise mediocre performing fabric into offering some protection - less and less manufacturers doing it because cost saving and people no longer considered them fashionable anymore !
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I low sided on the track in full leathers going probably between 35-45mph. Completely trashed my suit. Split seem in leg etc... I was amazed at how much damaged occurred in a relatively slow crash. Like the guy with the rev'it jacket I was fine. I am not defending the rev'it jacket in any way just saying it can't be tough to quantify a gear's protective quality.
  4. GSDonovan

GSDonovan There and back again

Oddometer:
    Looks like the jacket did its job to me....
  5. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The armour did its job. The jacket shell looks like it has worn through pretty much instantly on contact with pavement. Pants melted. Open vents helped get roadrash and bruises (again, poor design choices).

He was lucky, and ended up tumbling more than sliding, yet not breaking bones (meaning it might have been an even slower crash than he thought). Had it not been for luck, you probably wouldn't be reading that review at all.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is something that never comes up in these discussions. Vents are holes. In the protective suit. Holes aren't very abrasion resistant:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  7. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone get thier hands on one of the Sand 2 jackets yet?

I was looking at a few jackets at a local dealer last weekend with an eye towards something that would serve me well on longer trips during the summer as well as keep me warm and dry down into the 20s (w/ a heated liner), more on-road than off. The ones they had that caught my eye were the TourMaster Transition 3, Olympia AST 2 and Klim Badlands Pro (yeah, wide range of pricing). Currently my cool-weather jacket is a JR Ballistic 7.0, which is OK for now, and will serve me until the right replacement comes along. I have a waist-length Cortech mesh jacket for the warmer months as well.

My $.02 on what I looked at:

TourMaster Transition 3 - Was only ~$220, fit well, nice quilted liner, but I question how well it would vent when warmer (no methods to keep the vents open). Probably the least protection out of what I was looking at.

Olympia AST - Around $450 (IIRC). Nice, decent venting, wasn't thrilled with the collar. Price point was about the most I really want to pay. Good rep.

Badlands Pro - $899. Seemed built like a tank (as in, keel-haul me behind a semi from here to Tuscon - no problem). Lots of venting options. Good 3DO armor, incl. chest. Kidney belt a +. Was a bit disappointed when I looked into the jacket past the kidney belt and saw the bare back of the outer material. For $899, I think they could've sprung for a full mesh liner. No thermal layer or liner to speak of, though I don't mind that I can use whatever under layers I want. One gripe - The collar 'catches' didn't seem to be strong enough (or in the right place) to keep the collar open. Basically, an awesome jacket, but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $900 on one.

Which brings me to the Sand 2. Seems like it may be a nice compromise at a price point just above the AST 2. I like the arm vents, and the options of having the cooling vest installed and the neck brace. Rev'it has a good rep, but as some of you have pointed out, the polyester may not be such a good thing. Also, how good is the waterproofing w/o the liner? Yet to see one in person, though...
  8. opticalmace

opticalmace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have any ADVers crash tested the Sand gear? I couldn't find any reports when I searched.

I have the Sand pants but the abrasion test listed up there ^^ (by Ride) makes me a bit nervous about them.
  9. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Just purchased a new Sand-2 and i was not planned to crash it at all:huh
    It's too fookin cold here in Holland right now, so no ride today with it. I only use it on the warmer days, were i was used to wear jeans a and a t-shirt, this jacket is now protecting me way more than jeans. When i'm in for speeding, i wear a racetrack-suit.
  10. Aviador

Aviador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear about first hand impressions of the new Sand 2. It´s indeed on my target list for 2013.

What about the sizing? Its it true that Rev´it has it done focusing on the US market, say, doing the sizes a bit bigger, compared to european customers?

:freaky
  11. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my Rev'it Sand 2 Pants last week. They are very nice. I bought a size small (I'm a 30" waist and 29" inseam) and they are actually a little bit more roomy than I was expecting, so I'd say they are certainly more American cut rather than Euro cut.

I also got the new Sand Pro gloves, which I'm mostly happy with. They aren't as vented as I was hoping for. The exterior is mesh but inside the glove is another (thin) liner which limits air flow. I wear a size small glove and I find these run a tad on the larger size. I wish they were a bit more snug.
  12. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Polyester as a class of fibers isn't inherently bad at abrasion resistance, though some polyesters may be better than others.

All fabrics sporting a Cordura label are not equal, either: http://www.cordura.com/en/about/faq.html
    I believe that branded 500d Cordura is a polyester.
  13. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:

According to their site, the 500d is simply the denier of the fabric....nothing to do with poly or nylon. The denier is just the mass density of the fabric. Looks like their actual product lines: Ballistic, Baselayer, Classic, Denim, etc. would be where you'd find different yarn types...nylon, polyester or a blend of both. Not sure how many of the mfg's of clothing are actually giving which Cordura fabric they are using.

Spent a few years in the carpet industry and nylon was always king...strong, durable, better abrasion, resistance to crush. The past few years, the latest generation of polyester proved remarkable in its ability to match nylon performance...for less money.
  14. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    SO has anyone got this suit yet? I lost a lot of weight and may sell my current revit gear to get this.
  15. jimbop

jimbop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up both the Jacket and the pants. I'm 5'6" and weigh 158 LBS. 30" inseam. 39" chest. I bought size Small for both and the fit is excellent. I'm very satisfied with the over all quality. The Jacket can be adjusted so that the armour stays in place and should resist twisting out of place upon any impact.

The ventalation looks like it will be great in the warm weather and at the same time the water proof liner seems to be able to be worn so that I will stay dry in wet riding conditions, we'll see down the road. I can comfortabley fit my Gerbings electric jacket by removing the Revit thermal liner. I'm still waiting for the new Revit back protector which seems to be unavailable globaly which leads me to think they are having issues with production.

I'll get some riding in this weekend and I'll post up some more thoughts.
  16. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried to buy the jacket last weekend on sale at a local dealer. The Blue XL is on global backorder until June.... :cry
  17. Parx400

Oddometer:
    The sizing must be way bigger than sand one. The guy in the revzilla video is in size L pants and he is 210, 6 foot and kinda beefy lookin. I'm 6,2 215 and XL sand ones are skin tight one me. I cant even get my leg over the bike with liners in. I have 2XL cayanne pros and they are very loose almost every where.

Do the Sand 2's have stretch panels in the crotch? The sand 1 did not and i always hated that about the pair I had.
  18. homme de fer

homme de fer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hit a bear last year in the Adirondacks wearing Sand jacket and pants and I can vouch for the protection it offers.

I think I was doing about 45mph at the time and got thrown sort of "high side" like. I have abrasions and very small holes in the pants and some holes on one of the shoulders. You wouldn't know it was there unless I pointed it out though.

IMO, the point of the textile is fashion while the armour is what does the work when you need it. I really don't care about rips in the textile as long as the armour keeps me safe.

I still have the suit, my wife and my son use it when they ride with me. Insurance replaced it with a bmw rallye 3 suit. Now, if the Sand jacket had bmw's material and upgraded armour, you would have the best jacket on the planet.
  19. Parx400

Oddometer:
    Revit sand 2 review
    My Measurements
    Hip: 41
    Waist: 36
    Out seam: 43.5
    Inseam: 30
    Chest 41
    Height just under 6,3
    Weight: 215

Pants 4/5
    I got my revit sand2 pants delivered. I went down a size since I have lost weight. I ordered XL Long. I had been wearing 2XL long revit cayenne pants. My first observation is the size chart is still way off if you don’t have a small Euro frame. All my measurements put me into a Large for both jacket and pants. I have some meat in my upper legs and a too much on the ass still but I plan to lose that weight very soon. With liners in they are a little snug in the butt, upper legs and hips. Waist is spot on. One feature I hate (reason for the 4 out of 5) is they did not use stretch panels in the crotch. It makes getting your leg over the bike much harder. With Liners out they fit perfect.
    I had planned on selling my cayenne pro pants but I think I will keep them for winter. With the liners in they still fit ok. I think the liner material is much better in the cayenne pro pants in regards to how it feels against your legs.

Besides the stretch panels the pants are great. They are slightly more forgiving fit wise than the sand 1.

Jacket.
    Sizing for the jacket says I should be in a Large. I tried on a large and there is no way it will fit. My shoulders are just way too wide. I have kind of a large upper frame with a smallish waist and not a really big chest. Suit jackets have always been hard for me to find. When I am in good shape (almost back there) I wear a 34 waist yet I still have to buy a 44 jacket for my shoulders. A 44 jacket comes with size 38 pants if bought as a pair.
    I will add more when the jacket gets here. Currently I have a defender GTX 2XL and it is HUGE on me. It will be for sale shortly.

Gloves
    Not ordered yet but the size chart says I’m a large. I have think long hands. I basically have a large version of a girls hand. Will update when I get gloves.
  20. Aviador

Aviador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi fellas,

Any more thoughts?

I'm just about to buy a new 4 seasons suit, and both Rallye 3 and Sand 2 would be my choice after my research.

The key point is if the BMW is worth those extra, say, 500 quid (€).

:freaky