The Official SV Thread... SV650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by disconnected, Jun 22, 2008.

1. aceluck

aceluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and since this is the SV thread, I'll throw up a pic of my departed SV:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hired a buddy of mine to do a great job on the fab work.
    I used oem BMW locking pins on top and he welded locating tabs on the lower rails. A cross beam was welded below the fender for support. They are solid and stable at triple digit speeds...

Attached Files:

3. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rear View.

Attached Files:

4. GuzziTriumphEnfield

GuzziTriumphEnfield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks stunning mate.

I just installed a H&B rear rack and happily await the topbox (so I can actually go grocery shopping!). Can't wait to take the fairing off in the next couple weeks.
  5. aceluck

aceluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motophoria, that is truly an awesome setup! Thanks for the detail pics.
  6. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK guys I need some tire advice. What are you guys running on the rear and what mileage are you seeing? I am currently running Pirelli DIablo strada's and cant get more than 5k out of a rear. Technically my current tire is at 4800 and at the wear bars. At this rate I am changing the rear every two months. I will be on my third tire since april when I order one.

The pirelli's warm quickly, balance easily and handle great. I was just hoping for more like 7-8k out of the rear. I guess thats unrealistic. I am getting the most wear on the left of the tire, exactly like my last one. Right side is great, center is decent, left of center is bald. I check my tire pressure at least 3 times a week. Running 37psi rear, very little 2-up.

Anyone getting decent mileage from anything else? Conti, Michellin, Metz?
  7. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Im on my third tire too since April, I run the Stradas also... the left side is wearing from the crown in the road.. I thought 5k was pretty good since the Diablos I used to run on the CBR only gave me 2k...

I buy from Dennis kirk they seem to have good pricing.. I have convinced my self if I get anything else higher milege the tire would not be as safe in the twisties since the compound would need to be harder..

Im up for suggestions too gang.. :ear
  8. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    well at least we are consistant, maybe its just the combo of our roads and our throttle application. 5k isnt terrible but changing tires this much will get old. I usually order from Ironpony since its free shipping and I am in their 1 day delivery range.
  9. ChopSuey

ChopSuey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    06 SV650S with handlebar conversion, heated grips, and Givi hardbags.

[​IMG]
  10. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Has anybody lowered there pegs alittle.. I have heard you can use Buell Pegs..

Any input would be appreciated..

greg
  11. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the buell pegs, got them off ebay for about $25. Made a huge difference in riding position. I am 6' with a 33" inseam and I felt a little cramped on the stockers. They are by far the best mod I have done to the bike.

I can get some pics in a few minutes if you want some.
  12. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    do any Buell Pegs fit, or do you need somthing specific??? Pictures would be great!

thanks,

greg
  13. Snaildrake

Snaildrake prowling the SW since '64

Oddometer:
    Sure, I just did the Buell peg modification last week to my naked SV for $26 and can tell you how it works for me. My quick take is that the switch works if you're looking to lower the pegs inexpensively to accommodate longer legs for commuting or touring comfort. It's possible you won't like your feet being pushed 1+" outboard - some SVriders tried it and went back to stock pegs.

The change brings the peg down 1" and a fraction back. I am 5' 11' with a 31" inseam and the mod drops my knees so they fit in the tank recesses, gives my legs room so they don't cramp, and makes it easier to find the pegs moving away from stoplights. The basic SV seat-peg position still tilts you forward some, and this doesn't change that.

The Buell pegs need adapting: a couple millimeters shaved off to fit in the SV peg mount, the pin hole bored out, a flat reduced and the lean indicators removed (they're lower, remember?). The modification is easy and could be done with a flat and round file on the sidewalk - I used a drill press and bit, bench disc sander and a few strokes with a flat file. I am slow and meticulous and it took me under an hour.

I can think of three reasons you might not want to do this:

1. The dropped peg pushes your feet out an inch or more from the stock position, so you have to toe in more to reach the brake and shifter
    2. The Buell pegs are metal with no rubber pad
    3. Your pegs will ground earlier - not clear how much earlier though

The whole switch is well documented in several svrider.com threads, like this one:

The Buell/HD part no. is N0006.1AD for the pair of pegs. I ordered it from my local HD dealer, took 10 days to come in.

There are also rearset plates that will move the pegs up or down and back, which sportbike riders might want but not me - check svrider if you're curious.

Of course there's the free entertainment bonus: the HD parts counter guy, covered with tattoos and piercings, who I'm sure rides protected only by manly chest hair, looked incredulously at my full ATGATT rig on a 90+ degree day and asked, "Aren't you hot, dude?" :oscar
  14. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    wow snaildrake, thanks for the info.:thumb ..
    greg
  15. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the SW Motech quick release bags too, ill take some pictures when I receive them.

greg:drums
  16. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    couple of pics on my gen1, yep the bike is very dirty I have a gravel road to ride to get to work and a gravel driveway at home.

Attached Files:

17. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    another, i didnt get the stops ground down enough so the pegs angle back a little.

Attached Files:

18. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    pic with my cortech saddle bags, mainly cause I am a pic whore

Attached Files:

19. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi I hope you don't see my questions as super dumb and can help me.

I am looking into buying a bike maybe the last one in some time, so I have questions about the difference between the 2 sv, SV vs SVS, how different are they? Fist let me tell you I see the obvious, the setting position, clip ons, and lighting, but other than that, what else is it that I should consider?
    I tend to like more the SVS, but if I don’t like the clip ons, can I change them and have something more “standard”?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    One last question, how are the lights on this bikes? Are they like the ones on a DL or like the stock KLR? (I love the DL lights, hate the KLR one)
    Thanks for your comments
    Damasovi
  20. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Damasovi, the lights work very well.. I have been impressed how well they iluminate the road.. I have the S model though so I can not comment on the naked's light...

I had a DL in the past too, and there pretty close...

greg