Possible move to Boise

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by hyperboarder, Oct 14, 2012.

1. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    So due to some family health stuff, we're starting to look at moving to Boise. My wife and I grew up there, I came here for college and have stuck around, but it looks like going back is probably the right choice for us. I'm touching base with my contacts there, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to stop by here too. The biggest concern right now is a job, I've got a good gig here as a quality engineer and I'm a degreed mechanical engineer with design, quality, and metrology experience. I worked for a division of Micron based in Longmont and left on good terms, so that's a definite possibility. Anyone got any leads? :evil

On top of that I have no motorcycle experience with Idaho. From the ride reports it looks comparable to here, maybe not quite as good but by no means bad. I'm not a great single track rider but I love nice scenic stuff and double track suitable for the big 1WD Ural.

On the past few visits I've very much enjoyed the burgeoning beer scene, so that's a plus. Seems the nightlife has gotten better since I left too, and I know Bogus Basin is a great place to learn to ski/ride. Anything else I should be aware of?
  2. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Employment that pays is your biggest problem in Idaho. I compared my position in CA to one in ID and the pay was slightly less than half of what I get in CA. Sure, some things are cheaper in ID but overall, the pay just doesn't quite cut it. The whole state is depressed and good paying jobs are scarce.
  3. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Being an engineer, I've already put together a large weighted comparison matrix that includes median income. The "upside" if you can call it that, is the job I have right now doesn't pay that well, so the drop wouldn't be that drastic. We've already checked my wife's potential salary, looks like it'd be 20% less than here, which is about in line with the cost of living differences.
  4. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    You should find plenty of scenic riding opportunities and others to ride with. This club may be one to check out http://www.motoidaho.com/. Although it's not my thing, downtown nightlife seems to be good. Many bars carry the local brewed beverages. Boise enacted smokeless statutes so the bars in Boise are smoke free. Sorry, no good job leads for you.
  5. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Thanks to those that have PM'd me, the help is much appreciated. Anyone else have any leads in the area? Still trying to work the current gig remotely, but no guarantees on if that's possible.
  6. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Update: Looks like this is going through, probably in June. Also looks like the odds of keeping the current job and doing it remotely are up, probably about 50/50 at this point. So now the bigger questions are mostly around where to live. Thinking east Boise, pretty decent budget. My biggest concern is what to do until we find a place, anyone know any rental houses over the summer that are ok with dogs?
  7. bdefen

bdefen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boise, Idaho - In the heart of Dual-Sport Paradise
  8. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Another update, this is indeed happening, I'll soon have to migrate over from the Rockies to the PNWet forum. Our house here is under contract and will close 2/26. Looking actively in the Boise/Meridian area for a 4+ bed/2+ bath/3+ car garage in the 200-300k range if anyone knows of anything. Staying onboard as a remote employee for the current employer.

So about this riding, any literature I should pick up aside from the Butler map?
  9. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finding a place meeting your criteria shouldn't be too difficult. I'd however recommend renting first so you can re-familiarize yourself with the area and where you might prefer to buy.
  10. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    Do the IAMC 2013 Challenge and your are guaranteed to find some great rides and see some awesome parts of the state.
    I like the Delorme Idaho Atlas and Gazateer better than Benchmark because it has topo maps, shaded relief just doesn't do it for me.
    Welcome back!:clap
  11. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
  12. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    I neglected to mention that the wife is preggers, due in July, so we are planning on avoiding renting if at all possible. On the plus side, we've been visiting so damn often that I'm quite comfortable with the area and where we want to live.

I took a look and didn't see the IAMC 2013 sites up yet, do those come out of the meeting on Saturday? Added the Delorme to the wishlist, thanks for the heads up!
  13. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    There are lots of homes on the market in your price range, I don't think you will have a problem finding a suitable house.
    I think they sell the DeLorme at Sportsman's Warehouse for five bucks cheaper than anywhere else, downside is they don't always have them in stock because they get bough up.
  14. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    See you FF's soon. Moving to Meridian on the 27th.
  15. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Us the heads up on and when and where and we can set a record on move in time.
  16. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Lol. Got the family helping with the move, should be in right quick. Anyone in town like a good brew? I'm going to be jonesing for some beer nerd talk pretty fast.
  17. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I have many extra beers saved and will resume restocking when it gets warmer and I am slightly less obese. I am up for some DS riding on my new to me 2009 DR650 and it is just starting to get warm enough for a fair weather rider like myself to start exploring. Shoot me an email when you get settled and want to go for a ride. I currently work from home so we can go mid-week when the roads will be empty. :evil
  18. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Will do brotha!

Also on the beer nerd topic, if anyone has any requests for stuff you can't get in Boise before I leave Saturday, let me know. I'm fairly stocked but can fit more :).
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I found this thread while looking for riding info around the Boise area.

OP, As someone new to the scene I'd be interested in your impressions as you get familiar with the area. My wife has applied for a couple of jobs there. Seems like as long as you are prepared for cold weather riding is nearly year round in Boise. Seems like there is tons of outdoor stuff to do and lots of great places to ride a motorcycle. I hope she can get a job there and then I can take a few months off from working and ride the hell out of my motorcycle discovering.
  20. FXRBILL

FXRBILL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is plenty of outdoor activities in Boise.As someone who has also lived in Tucson the scenery wil be similar, just trade the saguaro for sagebrush and add some rivers.If you have any specific questions just ask.