Biffed off the Beemer...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by C-Stain, Apr 23, 2013.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday will be 12 weeks, and Wednesday I have my next re-check with the Surgeon.

I'm hoping for good news, but not holding out too much hope. I'm still relying heavily on my cane, but am able to drive, and did ride the Ural rig that a fellow inmate lent me for a few days.

I'm taking NO pain medication, and the physiotherapist says my strength is increasing. I just wish it was going faster.

There has been some good news...I went from a Term Employee to a Full Time position in the last few weeks - when I returned to EMS, full time spots were hard to get. Now, I just want to go back to work.

Wish me luck for Wednesda....
  2. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed, man! :lift
  3. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    maybe you should learn how to ride ?
  4. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should GFYS!!! You are a douchebag of the highest caliber.
  5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Sofa King Bueno

Oddometer:
    You are an insufferable shitwhistle.

:wave

:permazot
  6. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck! It sounds like you are doing fine. I was 12 weeks NWB and it took me about 5 weeks to go from that to walking without a cane or crutches.

The muscle strength improves a little every day--you just don't notice it until you think back -- "Oh yeah, 2 weeks ago, I couldn't do X, and now I can!" Besides the PT, I walked every day (once I was off of the cane/crutches), but I wore my hiking boots so that my ankle would be supported.
  8. BlueNozr

BlueNozr R90S Lifer

Oddometer:
    Good luck C-Stain on your wednesday visit with the surgeon. Missed you at the Bluenose rally in case you dropped by. Too hot to ride today anyways.
    Oh BTW, the older you get the longer stuff takes to heal - but you're still young so shouldn't be too long. Congrats on getting to a full time position.:1drink
  9. Monroe

Monroe not a long timer

Oddometer:
    My broken bones have been fingers which can slow you down a little. When I see broken leg bones like yours and others, I wonder if I'd ever get back on a bike if that happened to me.

The down time and rehab time are hard to imagine as I am not a good patient and loathe being dependent on someone.

:freaky to you Cstain and others that come back from these and worse injuries to ride again. All the best for your upcoming doc visit

Steve
  10. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    d00d - riding is a passion, and while I've busted myself up in a way I never imagined possible, bones heal. Depending on what happens over the next couple of weeks - I may not ride two wheels for a while, but we may change focus with a hack. But I will continue to ride.

Life is too short, eat your ice cream today.
  11. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Ural on my shortlist. Ive always wanted to have a sidecar.

I also want to be a monkey on a kneeler but the opportunity hasn't arisen yet!

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inmate FredGreen lent me his Ural rig to attend a very good friend's funeral on the weekend. Ethan and Meagan both enjoyed it immensely. And while it doesn't handle like a bike - I did have a whole lot of fun riding it.

I've also spoke to C Stanley Motorsports in PA about a rig for my Vee. It'll mean selling the F800, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it gets us out as a family more.

We're stopping at the Ural Dealer on the way home tomorrow. :D
  13. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It's amazing to me, how little I miss the F8 I had. Good bike but I don't regret selling it one bit.
  14. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Wow. This is the first I've seen of this thread, but I'm familiar with the incident from elsewhere. That must have been a rough ride out. Ambulances are not known for their plush suspension.

Have you considered a KLR with a DMC enduro chair? Pretty inexpensive, quite a lot lighter than the Ural, and probably just as unfast. Likely loads more reliable.

Hope to see you up there soon. I don't know if we'll make it on the way up to NFL, but maybe on the back swing.
  15. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    he won't get a KLR, I've told him that he should trade in the F800GS for 4 KLRs...
  17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That being said, the DMC chair would strap up to an F800 pretty nicely. Then he could still sneer at us po' folk.

18. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    Oh, hell, just saw this.

Sorry to hear about the off, hope today's news was good.

Sounds like you're doing the right things and have good friends and good care.

Nice x-ray pics by the way :lol3

they'd make a great tattoo, just ask Skibum

Heal quick, will ya?
  19. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, just arrived home. The surgeon was running WAAAY late today. Damn Doctors and their 9 hole, 4 beer lunches! :lol3

Reports are that I'm "On Track" in the healing process. The biggest part of the fracture is still visible on the X-Rays, but he says the calcification is starting. I'm "unrestricted" when it comes to physical therapy and and push it until it hurts. This means that the gym and I are going to becoming more intimately acquainted.

He DID tell me to stay off two wheels until after September 25th - which is my next appointment. Unfortunately this means my riding season is just about pooched - but my annual "Leaf Trip" around the Cabot Trail may still be possible.

Boondoggle - you really learn about who your friends are in times like these - and we've learned that we have some really good ones. I guess some would say that makes me a rich man. My wife has been TOTALLY supportive - and has not even mentioned the words "Sell the bikes", and for that I love her even more.

We did stop at the Ural Dealer this afternoon and while we both like the idea of a Ural Gear Up, she's asked me to wait until next season before I pull the trigger. She figures that I'd be too unhappy selling the Vee and the F800 and not being able to lean.

She's a keeper.
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    You are a blessed man. I'd ask how much for your wimmen, but I suppose they are unique and priceless. Good on you. If you find a keeper, keep her!