Review of 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by leafman60, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    2600 miles and it feels better every day.

I rarely ride with the panniers on, the longest was a 400 mile day on Saturday with the wife to get her some seat time before a 20 day trip in a couple weeks.
    She's been on a number of long days on the bike without them, wanted to make sure all was a good fit back there...it was.
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I don't mean to hyjack Leaf's excellent thread, but did you get the top box as well so the Mrs. has a back rest? If so, how do you, and she, like it?

Thanks! :thumb

-SM
  3. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    This thread is just an ongoing review of the NTX with owner input.....it's all applicable.

I didn't get the matching topbox, I picked up a Givi B33 just to have something behind her. She likes the feeling of having something behind her after doing a few years on the Blackbird and ZX-14....feeling like she'd fall off the back :lol2
    I'm not a big topbox fan, so unless she's back there I don't ride with it (or the panniers)

So we each get a saddlebag, she has the topbox and and I have the tankbag for miscellaneous crap.
  4. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Ah, OK.

Here in Cali where lane splitting is a way of life, side bags are :nono for my work commute, so I run with a top box to hold all my crap (briefcase, food, basic tire repair kit, etc). The trouble is no one has the matching top box in stock, so I can't see it to gauge its quality or usefulness. :bluduh I guess I'll just check out its measurements (it's just a Guzzi-badged SW Motech case) and compare it to what I use now and see if that would work. Otherwise I'll do as you did and look at a Givi or similar box.

Thanks! :thumb

-SM
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top boxes are on back-order right now. I am working on my own system for passenger accommodations. Will reveal soon.
  6. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Back order..... :cry

Maybe I'll try something like this:

http://neu.hepco-becker.de/Web/Produkte/01_Gepaeck/03_Aluminiumkoffer/Xplorer.php?language=2

Less $$$ than the SW Motech and arguably just as good (or better) quality.

Always good to have options. :wink:

But that brings up a question that I forgot to ask the dealer: Are the bags keyed to the ignition key, or do you have to carry 2 keys, one for the ignition and one for the bags?

-SM
  7. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    the keys to the saddlebags are smaller - whole different size lockset.
  8. uzidzit

uzidzit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did have a small problem with the ntx, a loose connector and blown fuse, lead to a flat battery late saturday night on the way back to knoxville. (I slept on a table at an abandoned store outside Turtletown Tn, on rt60). Hitched a ride to Ducktown (no cell service where I was "camping") and called the guys at RH first thing sunday morning. They got a trailer and picked me up in Ducktown and then the ntx ~20 miles away, and went back to the store. They had already charged a new battery for me and were ready to look at the bike. At about 7:30 they found the very minor problem re-ran all the electronics checks and sent me out all good with the new battery. The really nice part is they comped me a room in Dhlonaga for the night so I could get cleaned up and sleep before the trip back, first class I did not ask for. I was feeling pretty grubby, I had not planned to stay or camp, I was lucky that store had a hose bib behind it so there was water at least as it was in the high 90s when i left.

There is ONE CORRECTION to the owners manual!!!! The manual shows the secondary fuse panel behind the rt fairing!! IT AINT THERE NO MORE THE GAS TANK IS!!! it is behind a small panel on the rt side of the bike right under your rt thigh!! just a fyi
    Jon
  9. uzidzit

uzidzit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto Guzzi include a set of 3 matched lock barrels (under the seat with the manual), to the factory bag locks for givi luggage, so you can add a givi top box and have it keyed to the factory side cases if you wish.
  10. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had the little issue and I'm glad the folks at Rider's Hill did you good. I do like them alot.:1drink
  11. BrittC

BrittC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Now that is a first class dealership! :clap
  12. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

No extra lock barrels on my NTX ....
  13. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    nor mine...
  14. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine were in the underseat tray - I assumed they were to fit the Norge style panniers and top box
  15. uzidzit

uzidzit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they were located in the under seat tray, in a seperate bag from the documentation, and tool bag. Maybe they were added after the first few ntxs were crated, not sure but I am sure mine will fit hepco, and givi bags. I do not run top boxes as they bug me I use a soft duffle on top if needed
  16. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (August 2012), has a review of Triumph's new 1200 Explorer. This comes fresh on the heels of last month's review of the Stelvio.

I advise you fellow Guzzi-philes to take a read of Triumph review. I find the situation interesting that the Guzzi is cited several times as somewhat of a benchmark to which the Triumph is judged and not always in a positive way for the Triumph.

Been a long time since that kind of thing happened.
  17. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I've followed this thread from the beggining and just saw that I haven't said anything. Congratulations, this is a truly wonderful unique bike! :clap
  18. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up yesterday...I've put on less than 100 miles so far, but WOW, I am impressed. The bike is just fantastic, comfortable, and smooth. Much better than I expected.

Word to the wise for your new buyers- go over the bike top to bottom with the dealer when you pick it up (inspect the crate if you can). Mine had some shipping damage to the left hand guard and one of the front headlight gaskets were messed up. The dealer wrote down all the issues and has parts on order. No big deal, but you don't want to be stuck with those things when you leave.

The lighting on this thing is amazing. The headlights and fog lights are VERY bright. Could not be happier.

More info and mods as time moves on.
  19. Gravel grinder

Gravel grinder 2 Wheeler

Oddometer:
    Really interested in reading the Stelvio review, but I can't see it anywhere in the July 2012 issue of the magazine. I'm REALLY leaning towards a Stelvio purchase, but like many have some reservations about service, parts and long term reliability. Not really different than any other 2 wheeled unit, just such a limited number on the road (which is a very good thing in my opinion). I have a dealer an hour away........and 1 in stock......
  20. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Long term reliability isn't an issue with Guzzis. They are very robust....once you get through the "teething pains" that can occur with them from new. It's my understanding that under Piaggio's rule, those early issues have been significantly reduced (I owned an '08 Norge that had some early problems, but that was before Piaggio bought Guzzi), and if true, it should be a relatively trouble-free machine. I'll know soon enough as I pick my new NTX up next week. :clap

-SM