Forum planning

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by JohnTM, Sep 3, 2007.

1. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK folks! It's time to go live!

please put your suggestions/comments here in this thread so I don't have to prune stuff out from all over and I can find stuff here.

What would you do differently or add? This forum is gonna be full of stuff from everybody and it needs your input to make it work. Might as well make sure everyone is as happy as possible with the way things are organized.
  2. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    I want to have your children.

Thanks,
    BreadMan
  3. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

Wooohooooo, been waiting and hoping for this.

Kenny
  4. JohnTM

Oddometer:
    If I ever father any, I'll give the mother your name. :nod
  5. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Thanks John, you're not nearly as big a butthead as Rider says you are :thumb
  6. JohnTM

Oddometer:
    I couldn't be. No one has a butt that big. :lol3
  7. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    How about Financing your trip or making money on the road? It'd be intersting to see how many people actually work along the way instead of just saving for years or whatever beforehand.

This promises to be a popular forum, John. :thumb
  8. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how about a calendar just for long rides where other people are welcome to join in:dunno

heard of a couple people planning trips across the TAT who couldn't find folks to ride with. long trips like that don't really have a specific regional forum and the main "regional forums" page is a place where not a lot of people notice stuff.

cool idea for a forum!:thumb

:lurk
  9. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Oh, so like a "I'm heading out, who wants to go" type thing? That would be in addition, I would think. Maybe a subforum.

That is pretty much a Regional thing right now. It doesn't have to be. Hmmmm.

Lots of information is available here, just scattered, like you said, John. Seems to me, quite a bit would need to be stickied. Like Jeff's Central America tips. Requirements for various countries as to needed paperwork and such. Maybe vacinations needed.

Maybe just a place for people to ask questions covering this kind of thing.

Edit: Oh, shit, its a done deal! I thought everyone was still talking about it.
  10. JohnTM

Oddometer:
    I hope to be able to condense a lot of this stuff into HoW submittals, if they pass muster with JohnJen.
  11. Dingo Joe

Dingo Joe Frick You...

Oddometer:
    just an open comment about The New Forum. I hope people realize that trip planning also includes that actual destination. Yes, for many type A people, they seem to need to have everything figured out, what to take, what to pack and all necessary precautions taken. Butt, some folks like me realize that there is a Walmart in every town and my AmEx card is kinda like a get out of jail free card, (only you gotta pay it back). What I really want in my trip planning is to find destinations that are not on the local chamber of commerce's website, places even many locals don't know, events that are so cool or small that they are not well advertised, and food stops that cater to moto idiots like us.

Regionals is useful for locals talking to locals, but I'd like to see local info included in the trip planning threads. That's all I got for now...
  12. JohnTM

Oddometer:
    Let's not get to carried away with stuff that really does belong in regionals. We had this discussion back in Ask Baldy earlier. This forum is about planning the trip, not where to go. You're gonna have to pick your own destination, then come here to figure out how to make it work. If we start putting all that in here it is gonna get unmanageable real quick, and we will be duplicating efforts .
  13. Dingo Joe

Dingo Joe Frick You...

Oddometer:

I'm kinda thick...
  14. JohnTM

Oddometer:
    Quit bragging...:bluduh

:lol3
  15. Dingo Joe

Dingo Joe Frick You...

Oddometer:
    It's like a tuna can. Really, it is :nod ...
  16. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:

And probably as useful. :lol3
  17. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    It could be helpful to post a sticky in Outer Darkness regarding this new trip planning forum. Yeah, a repeat, etc, but that might help in generating info that will be used here. Slap the dog twice and show him where the fresh bone is...

We now have much cross-over with this new forum. Getting info in here might take a little prodding in the beginning. Everybody understands this, right? :D

Regarding motels, camping, repairs/parts (cesspool of valuable info to be kept): If the Mods could find and post a start for this, it would be extremely encouraging to others, and help gain more postings quickly, IMO.

Thousands ride to Baja. Let's use this as a start, and as a learning tool/experiment. There's Baja CA and Baja CA Sur, just two states; and the number of locations are very limited. Did you ever play the game of Risk? See, it's one that can be picked-off easily, and also be easily controlled.

Here ye, here ye....or is it hear...:D

Let's try Baja sub listings and see what we run into. OK?
  18. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    I have no idea how you guys managed to get this forum going, but I'm glad to see that someone "in charge" had sense enough to "allow" it to be. Congrats boys. A very nice addition to an increasingly "not about the bike", Jo Momma adled ADV.

Gee, I've only been bitching about it...um...maybe since 2003? :D

BTW, someone mentioned Jeff's Central America post on OD? Maybe it could be duplicated here? Or moved over? A great border crossing primer, IMO.

Love the stickies you guys have created.....I'll be referencing them a lot...and adding a few too.

Great resources.

cheers
  19. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Look in the Hall of Wisdom. :evil
  20. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Can someone point me to Hall of Wisdom on the main ADV home page?
    Is it listed as a forum there....or else where? Funny, I've never seen it, but I'm new here.

Could it be BURIED any deeper?