Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hi weazy,,i answered in your other thread and am posting the answer here to so more folks see it again..thanks for the pic it shows the problem well.

folks,,,more has been written about this area on your X-laced rims....

FYI,,yes you are right ,,,it is the area that was manually ground down by some yoyo in the Behr factory...it is the same area that the BMW tech bulletin says to ignore when measuring for warranty claims...

the gouges and divots are all 'normal' in their eyes,,,,IMHO any divot that is deeper than circa .030'' get's filled in and machined...some of these divots that we hav erepaired were .080''/2mm deep:eek1 and and 4-5'' in length:huh

this same area will have .040-.100'' variation in width...they get real agressive in blending the weld area out

why they simply use a technique similar to Buchannan's Sun rim building,,ie after 'normalizing the rim, BS&R tosses the rim in a lathe and voila and machine it down to size,,VOILA, a beautiful,perfectly round rim is the result....

in the meantime look at this ugly mess

[​IMG]

OBTW,,,see the black rubber on the lower lip,,that's a sure telltale result of a divot ,,,your tire is working overtime trying to accommodate it til it heats up and transfers rubber to the rim:cry

woody
  2. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    :thumb You 'da man, Woody.

edit to say that now I just need to find some boxes and get around to shipping the wheels.
  3. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hi W, you and i have been exchanging emails regarding the HP2 set up. moving it here that way many peeps can benefit from your inputs.

your recommendation of 19/17 to replace my factory 21/17 is one way i can touch the ground, and improve handling for road/canyon riding.

sticking to the tubeless for less upsprung weight, better road handling, etc.

sent you another email earlier and for pricing, PM or email is good.

thanks,
  4. Hytram

Hytram crash test dummy

Oddometer:
    Woody

I am looking for a 2nd set of wheels for my Tiger 800XC either 19/17 or 17/17

are you making them yet, is there an aftermarket hub?

what are your thoughts?

ta

Marty
  5. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Woody! Dual purpose dual fun! Mortard wheels are just cool...

Cheers
    Pilbara
  6. AndyCBR

AndyCBR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    SS & SS spoke and nipple set for Super Teneres are in !!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndyCBR
    Hello Woody,

Do you have a spoke kit available for this model yet?

Corrosion of the stock Zinc spokes/nipples is a known issue with this model.

I was thinking of trying the one at a time replacement method but need proper SS spokes/Nipples.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Any follow up on this? Sorry if I am late to the party but have not seen anything yet....

Thanks,
    Andy
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    hi will get back as soon as i return from the Altrider /jimmy lewis shindig in Death Valley
    will be home 1st of mar

soon w
  8. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

the word was out....you were playing....:evil..... good you found the time.....:clap

taste of dakar linky...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753732&page=2
  9. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Did any of the bigger KTM's ever come with 19" front wheels that can be adapted to the smaller bikes? Have an extra SM wheelset, but have been thinking that a 19" front wheel might be a little bit more versatile.
  10. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    not to my knowledge...

however it's easy to convert your 17'' to a 19""circa $450-500 depending on rim choice,,color etc etc ,,just send in old wheel complete...

that in conjunction with a 4.25-5.5 x17 rear will get ya the most smiles per miles...
    here's a link

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9222631&postcount=1

enjoy the read

holler when you are ready

woody
  11. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the link to all that info!
  12. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    One more quick question: if I've already got an extra 19" rear rim off a KTM laying around, can that be laced-up to a front hub?
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    sorry the the rear dirt bike rims are 1.85 possibly 2.15 x19..a bit narrow for the rubber you'll wan to use for your bike ...it requires a 2.5x 19 rim,,,,the other issues is the indexing i believe is wrong not to mention the drilling is for a much wider hub:cry

hope that helps
    woody
  14. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for the reply. Laced-up a 19x2.15 hoop for the front wheel of one of my other bikes and that seemed to work out pretty well with the distanzia that I ran, but if the way the rim's drilled won't allow me to lace it up to a front hub I guess I'm hosed...
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Just checked with Zach if we can re drill/angle it and counter-sink to match your front hub...if it's do-able even though not optimal for the 110/80x19 tire size that's optimal for your bike... it would be $30 for that service unless of course ya can do it yourself

here's a link to tire fitment

http://woodyswheelworks.com/rim_and_tire.htm

OBTW,,you'll need a spoke kit too,,,we recommend the better 'Superlace x3 version ,,,the stock X2 version is the same price $125 for ss spokes n nipples or save $15 with zartan/nickle platted steel kit

FYI,,we ascertained that it behooves you to go with the Superlace set-up because the lace pattern and spoke /nipple angles of the X3 set-up are closer to what you have now...

holler if we can help,,

woody
  17. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Thanks Woody, that sounds great. Have an extra cush-hub that I'd like to lace-up at the same time, so I'll hit you up when I'm ready to order all the parts I'll need.
  18. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
  19. Rydah

Rydah Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer:
    Hello. It might have already been covered, but I don't have time to read through all 100+ pages. Found out my front stock DID rim is cracked, so am looking for a replacement. I know the stock rim specks are 21"x1.6"x36 holes. These seem to be about universal specs for dirt-bike front wheels in general. What other specs on the rim/hub/spokes matter, that would prevent me from using any other stock rim from say a Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.? For instance, I know the stock KTM Excel wheels have a bigger spoke hole.
    Thanks.

ps. I plan to re-lace using new Buchanan spokes to the stock hub.
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting.

If you don't want to modify the rim.

The rim needs to be:
    1) drilled for a stock front hub, which most are.
    2) have a Jap lace pattern, most are, meaning that where the spokes form an "X", the spoke coming from the other side between the "X", goes to the left.
    3) same size nipple holes as the nipple you plan to use, so either get the rim to match the stock nipples, or the nipples to match the rim.

It cannot be drilled for:
    1) a conical hub, meaning that one side of the hub is larger diameter than the other
    2) a drum hub, where the hub is really large, diameter on both sides.

Most aftermarket rims drilled for a front dirtbike/enduro have Jap lace pattern, drilled for front standard hub, and 0.320" nipple holes. Includes most Excel's, DIDs, Pro Wheel...

Since you are replacing the spokes, you should replace the nipples at the same time because:
    1) Honda uses a fine thread spoke and nipple, the standard 9 gauge or 8 gauge spoke will not fit.
    2) Most stock motorcycles(excluding KTM, the XR, and a few others), use aluminum nipples and the threads stretch or the outside gets marred and they become unusable.
    3) It's far easier to get the correct OD nipples to fit an aftermarket rim, usually less expensive, and upgrade on quality, then to get rim with stock size nipple holes and re-use. Larger diameter nipple hole, larger surface area in rim, stronger wheel(in general).

On the XR, you probably would want the 9 gauge spoke you may have to lightly drill the hub to make room for the spoke.

We sometimes have good used rims in stock, so can always email to check.

You can order these spoke sets from us or from Buchanan's. We usually have in stock. Definitely have the nipples.

Hope that helps.

Chris