Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Also amazingly, so can a jacket. When it's really cold, crank up the heated liner.

To me, windscreens are like eclairs. I like the idea of them, but ultimately I'm disappointed. I've ridden dozens of bikes with them, many of them aftermarket or adjustable. They all end up creating too much head bobble. Sometimes it takes a few miles before it bothers me, but it does eventually. The only time I am not bothered by wind is when I ride a bike with little or no windscreen.
  2. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    I have a small Procycle screen on my DRZ and it makes an amazing difference on the road.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take a windscreen.....AND.....heated gear. :lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    What kind of difference? Cold?
  5. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Is this the one for sale in the Flea Market?
  6. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    OMG! Me wants.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
  7. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know your pain

[​IMG]
  8. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clearly you have never tried Madstad.

Running no or small screens is fine for short hops or low speed, but can get mighty fatiguing on a long high speed ride.

And it can stretch your arms! :rofl
  9. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I did buy a Madstad (for a different bike), and ended up taking it off, just like all the others.

I recently rode a 400 mile day on my Hypermotard, and never thought once about wind. That was not a low-speed ride. And I already have long arms, which is probably indicative of my problem. I'm either too tall or too far back from the screen so the wind that hits my head is not smooth.

Anyway, I don't want to be argumentative. Just want to show some screen-free solidarity for anyone else who might have the same experience.
  10. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to go topless -- there's no buffeting at all on my Speed Triple. Super smooth, and not that loud either. There's just enough forward lean to counter the wind at 75 mph.

However, my Tiger being my all weather rain and cold bike, I really appreciate the big ugly turbulent Givi in front of me, even with a nice jacket and electric fleece.
  11. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    +1, love the Madstad, no buffeting once set up right and I am 6'3" with room left on the screen adjustment to set it higher yet.:clap
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    any chance someone could post a picture of how you're getting to the right spot for the quickie fix? I can't seem to find any pictures and I'm a little thick:loco

Or, that maybe that dude with the Q-Tip could do a pictorial:eek1
  13. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Look on the brake side between the motor & airbox/gas tank. Here is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

Try to lube the arm (above the rubber boot) & the throttle wheel (above the fuel rail).
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    For the quick fix, you don't need to remove the tank and airbox -- just get down on the right side of the bike, look in between the frame rails behind the cylinder head, and find that little rubber accordion boot. A flashlight might help. It's a few inches in and tucked slightly upwards. Once you've found it, take a can of WD40 (with the straw attached) and shoot a little at the rod coming out of the accordion boot. Then cycle the ignition on and off and wait the 30 seconds for the stepper motor to reset -- might be worth watching the process and listening for the sound to see if it's the same as it usually is (I noticed that the two times I had the idle problem, it was preceded by the stepper motor making a different noise from the usual).

--mark
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The added description helps!
  16. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  17. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

Great description Mark :clap
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    Not to diminish the use of wd40, but I was thinking this might be a good use of the miracle DuPont Teflon Lube? I seem to use that stuff more and more on random stuff..
  19. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I used WD40 as a quick fix while on a 4 day dual sport ride but when I pulled the tank to replace the air filter I then cleaned the bushing well with brake cleaner then applied the Dupont Teflon lube.
  20. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rob Dirts picture a few posts before this is great. As others have stated, you do not need to remove the tank in order to get to it. What I did notice on mine though is I could spray the outside, above, below the rubber boot all day long and I got no positive results. All the sliding surfaces are actually hidden UNDER the rubber boot. I did all my work from the right side of the bike. I took a long flat screwdriver and pushed UP the boot just enough to get a long nozzle (taken off my chain lube can) on my WD40 can up under the boot. One small shot of WD40 is all it takes. Then I took my time with that same screwdriver to get the boot slide back down over the housing like it was.

Also, mine did not start acting up until about 16,000 miles and mine has only been used slightly off road. It did not look dirty under the boot so I'd assume it just dried out under there.