Motoventuring From Alaska to South America - A Collaborative Video Blog!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Becktastic, Jul 18, 2013.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Great stuff so far...

Your best ride in Alaska installment looks to be more of BC than Alaska...Your only in Alaska from Hyder to a little past the Fish Creek viewing platform and then you pass back into BC on the way up to the Salmon glacier... Your timing was right to catch it in good weather...
  2. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    I so agree that the ride in Stewart BC and Hyder Alaska was one of the best rides of our trip so far. The moment you see the bear glacier is magic. Great RR.

Sara
  3. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    In! :cool:
  4. rotarygirder

rotarygirder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :cry
    Becky's less than 9000 mile DRZ suffered a catastrophic top end failure today as we were climbing a mountain pass about 60 miles south of Eugene, OR on our way to crater lake. Removing the valve cover showed the exhaust cam and bearing busted out of its journal and intake looking pretty nasty too. We tried to coast back down in the direction of the last town but they shut the road down for major maintenance behind us and we're currently camping until morning when we can start calling some shops and see who wants to rebuild an engine really fast.
    :cry
  5. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi Becky,
    It does pretty good translating your voices. About 95% of it which is enough for me to understand. For example, when you are saying riding, it would say writing but the sentence was enough for me to guess you meant to say riding. You should try seeing it for yourself sometime. And try seeing other video where it can be real bad at guessing what a person is saying. Maybe because you speak better or it liked your accent better? haha

And is it 1TB MyPassport storage device?

Sorry to hear about your engine failure but don't let it get in the way of your trip! I am certainly there will be someone who will help you. When I had coolant problem twice in Oregon last year, dealer in Lakeview let me use their tools and shop to fix my problem then later someone fixed it for me and gave me coolant and water to take with me. I am sure you will have similar luck I had in Oregon.
  6. huguesfrederic

huguesfrederic HF

Oddometer:
  7. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun road trip. Is this an insurance money funded life experience? Sorry about the breakdown hope you get up and running again soon. I like the video blog because I cant read...
  8. marquezren

marquezren n00b

Oddometer:
  9. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    :D
    You're welcome! :)

Ha you're right! I'll see if I can change that title. I think I was in Alaska so long I began to think of the whole thing as Alaska. Sorry Canada, you're beautiful too!

I think it's Salmon Glacier not Bear Glacier right? Or do you mean one of the smaller ones on the way in? Glaciers are really something though! Especially when you're from the desert!

I'm glad it translates so well! I've been told by people who speak English as a second language that I'm very easy to understand. I'm from Arizona and I guess they get a lot of newscasters from that region because they don't have pronounced accents. And yet random people have complimented my accent and guessed a whole variety of places I might be from, so who knows?! :huh

Be aware you have to drill into the windscreen and mount it on the sides because the original holes don't line up to good drilling points on the light. It looks a bit weird up close with no screw heads in those holes, but you could glue some buttons or something in there if it bothered you. I'll try to post a close up later so you can see the mod.

I'm sorry for the breakdown too. It's the most serious motorcycle issue I've encountered. Not quite trip ending, but I know financially it's going to hurt. I've already curbed my spending by comparing every potential purchase to days on the road and I'm like, oh god this is going to cost like 2 months of riding. :puke1

Largely. A combination of that and living with 3 roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment and eating lots of rice and beans. :rofl

Geezus. I can't imagine riding that on a cruiser. My hat is off to you sir. :freaky

CAUTION - Contains graphic imagery of motorcycle guts :cry

10. BlueRider85

BlueRider85 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear the bad news, I hope you can get the bike fixed and pickup your journey from where you are real quick.

good luck
  11. curlesw

curlesw 05 RT n00b

Oddometer:
    I have really enjoyed your videos, what a great way to document your ride. I can imagine they take some time and it's obvious you take the time/effort to prepare as it show in how your are telling your story.

Sorry to hear about your bike..keep up a good spirit, I know a solution will quickly be found. I hope to see your journey continue soon.

v/r
    Wayne C.
  12. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do not be discouraged. Your bike may have failed, but it failed high. Mechanic and Fed-X should not be a major deal. Fingers crossed Becky.

Subscribed. :*sip*
  13. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be really great if a company like Procycle in Oregon could help you out, what a great PR move for them if they could. They are a great after market shop for Suzuki's.
    Keep smiling, you will get through this. :wink:
  14. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the motor. Hoping you can get it sorted shortly and the videos rolling again.
  15. billy the kid

billy the kid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to read of your mechanical misfortune . Hope it can be sorted fast and economically .
  16. adventurebound9517

Oddometer:
    So whats the prognosis Becky? We are all waiting impatiently for your next update. :ear
  17. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

???
  18. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not likely. I showed up at their store on my way up to Alaska with a leaking cct. I asked what it would cost to have it swapped and was told they don't work on bikes. I doubt they'd have the tooling for a rebuild. They might have a lot of the parts though..

I hope the lapse in updates is just dealing with the motor and not the death of this report. What a shitty fluke!
  19. adventurebound9517

Oddometer:

Well they may not do work for customers but they do work on bikes, their own. Recently they built a big bore 900 cc kit on a DR650 er 900. i can see not wanting to get involved personally but free parts would be nice. there are a lot of us Suzuki owners following Becky with great interest and I have spent some money with Pro Cycle and I like to buy from supporters of our sport. Just sayin.
  20. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Umm, Becky to the white courtesy phone. Hello Becky:ear

:lol3