Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I think you're going to love it. pictures when it arrives please :)

I'm only into my 2006 about 3500 miles, but intend to keep it a long time. Sweet ride for sure.
  2. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course I will do so
  3. optical

optical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    spark arrestors / Off Road - Anyone have anything definitive on this? My google fu has failed me.

Does the fact its a street bike with DOT approved exhaust "count" as far as being legal off road?
  4. RMAK

RMAK The Magnanimous

Oddometer:
    Very cool man! Those dealers are full of it. Scrams, Bonnies and Thrux are different animals. I owned an 05 Bonnie before my Scrambler so I know of what I speak. Enjoy a great bike!
  5. soundcc

soundcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    please, anywhere (on two wheels), but not here
    Previously I posted about a strange noise from the front end. Many stated possible cable noise and or tyres and or freakish ossilations from wind and tyres.
    I am hear to report that it was the inside gear mechanism and lack of grease in the bushing on axle.
    Check your lubricants inside the early cable driven speedo's.
    I believe this failure was generated from the mechanics actually removing the grease when a new tyre was installed.
    This was at the dealership prior to my purchase.
    Many mechanics may not be familiar with bushing, and cable speedos due to electrics replacing antiquated designs.
  6. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Too true, I have a 06 Scrambler & a 09 Thruxton....completely different bikes.

Terry
  7. danpfister

danpfister n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

First off...SICK pix and stories on this site. Exactly WHY I got a scram instead of a thruxton. I got a matte black scambler and started customizing. Wanted to ask a few questions...first off...the tires.

I did some research... and I want some continental TKC80s on here. Can anyone here confirm I can rock a 110 in the front and a 150 in the back? Both fenders are already removed... but worried about spacing. Am I good? Also... need a new exhaust. Arrow seems like a good bet. You guys happy with yours?

Thanks in advance and I'll get some pix up this weekend!
  8. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check this out here
  9. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Belgom Products make an anti-blue that works.
  10. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

There are a number of polishes that will make the blue go away but it will return, although perhaps more slowly than before. The bluing is a function of the pipes getting hot, propper jetting can reduce the heat a bit but it won't go away. The bikes that you see (mostly cruisers) that have bright chrome pipes, generally have double walled exhaust, there is another pipe within that pretty chrome one that is 'taking the heat' so that everything remains pretty on the outside. Better to consider that blue color as a badge of honor, proof that you really do ride your bike more than polish it. (Of course, consider the source of that last bit for what it is worth coming from one who only has 4500 miles on an '08).

Bruce
  11. RMAK

RMAK The Magnanimous

Oddometer:
    Yes, maintaining a proper air/fuel ratio keeps the engine cooler and cuts down on blue pipes. I ditched the airbox, AI, stock can and jetted up when I bought my Scrambler. Since I owned an 05 Bonneville before I knew the jets were on the lean end from the factory to meet EPA so I did a healthy jump to correspond to the increased breathing. I think I dropped in 150's. I have since put on flatside carbs jetted to my engine by TPUSA. My pipes have never blued.
    I did use a product called Blue Job on my 05 Bonnie which had very blue pipes when I purchased it used. The mild abrasive does remove the blue, but you never go back to shiny chrome. It becomes more of a less shiny nickel color. It also takes a lot of rubbing work to get rid of all the blue.
  12. b0rderman

b0rderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    blue job
  13. Ace_Cafe_Rat

Ace_Cafe_Rat "Crazy Old Coot"

Oddometer:
    Undisclosed location in the Nuevo México Desert
    Just ordered a pair myself. Thanks for posting the picture. It helped me seal the deal in my own mind.

Ride On!

Ace Cafe Rat
  14. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I am sure it took me at least ten minutes to install mine ..... well probably five of that to get my fat azz back up off the ground afterward.
    I am not much of a bling person but I am big on function, these footpegs are big on both. That 3/4" drop really does make a difference for my knees, despite being much lighter than the stock pegs they show no sign of any flex (believe me, if there was flex, I'd be the one fat enough to cause it), they grip great but unlike some other 'high grip' pegs I have used I can still get my foot off quickly and they do look pretty cool! I have only met Ken because I live close enough that it (kinda) made sense to drive over (it was December although it only snowed a little that day, probably could have ridden) and pick them up at the shop. I was lucky, he had been 'kidnapped' into doing some X-mas shopping and hadn't gotten mine finished so we got to talk a bit while the mill finished them up.

The picture was back in post 14404

Bruce
  15. twolf

twolf Dork

Oddometer:
    +1 on the KnL Footpegs. They work nicely with a flat black rattle can job too.

http://twolf.zenfolio.com/p823248632#h2abef676

16. b0rderman

b0rderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of these pegs, but not sure if the 3/4" drop is a good idea. I scrape the stock-height pegs too often as is. Is there a standard height version? Do they still "give" up if you were to scrape one while cornering?
  17. danpfister

danpfister n00b

Oddometer:
    I did some research... and I want some continental TKC80s on my 2012 scram. Can anyone here confirm I can rock a 110 in the front and a 150 in the back? Both fenders are already removed... but worried about spacing. Am I good? Also... need a new exhaust. Arrow seems like a good bet. You guys happy with yours?

Thanks in advance and I'll get some pix up this weekend!
  18. Alfred

Alfred n00b

Oddometer:
    I have made the most of our belated summer to do a bit of tweaking:

AI gone
    Airbox gone
    Rejet to 42 pilot and 145 main jets
    Bitubo WMEs at the back and Bitubo linear fork springs at the front.
    Rear mudguard gone

The difference is impressive, especially the noise, I rode past a high-sided lorry and was nearly deafened by the sound I was making.

Most of all I really enjoyed the process of working on the bike, so I think I will continue by putting on a 17t front sprocket.

I have also become increasingly interested in the Mass Mojave exhaust, is this a more open exhaust than the TORS? I have seen mention that they are E-marked, does this mean it will pass through the new stricter MOT guidelines?
  19. ColoradoKevin

ColoradoKevin Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer:
    I just put the same set of foot pegs on my Scrambler today. After 3 years and just over 30,000 miles of riding, I dropped the bike for the first time. Less than ten minutes later I dropped it again. I managed to break the left foot peg (which is the reason for the upgrade), bend the clutch lever and trash both Tiger hand guards. Considering how rocky the trail was I think I was lucky—the damage could have been much worse! I did remember reading, somewhere in this thread, how the passenger foot peg can be swapped onto the front in case of "breakage". That worked great, so thanks to whoever posted it!

I'd also like to thank Shercoman for welding the crack on my frame (unrelated to the above incident). I've been fortunate to meet several ADVer's and all of them have been "good people". Also, we're trying to organize a Colorado Scrambler owners ride. If you're interested please PM one or both of us…
  20. ColoradoKevin

ColoradoKevin Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer:
    Just looked closer at your pics and they do look better in black. The local shop where I purchased them offered to powder coat them but hitting them with the rattle can is cheaper. Plus, I can touch up the bash plate while I'm at it.