Dakar 2013 - Official Event Coverage - thank you ALL TeamF5, lurkers and posters!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    But it's Sunday :lol3

:freaky
  2. skamikazee

skamikazee Noviço

Oddometer:
    So will he engage reverse and risck damaging the gearbox, or will he take down the wall and do a couple off donuts on the green? :rofl
  3. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    definately easy to get lost in. you would go round in circles for days on that!!
  4. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah and some of us work on Sundays, especially those who live in the Middle East, Axis of Evil et al. Hard working people who make sure your local service station has gas when you need it.
  5. Hillbilly501

Hillbilly501 Ultra n00b

Oddometer:
    Drinking from the firehose in Brisbane, Australia
    Unless you're C. Depres. Then all you'd manage is getting stuck in a mudhole
  6. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Kawasaki up front, I bet that has been years and years,

Troy chime in my knowledgable friend.

Lets have T-shirt made.

F&*% Google, Ask Troy!!
  7. Hillbilly501

Hillbilly501 Ultra n00b

Oddometer:
    Drinking from the firehose in Brisbane, Australia
    Hospitals never close. And thanks to penalty rates, I can afford my mortgage AND a drz
  8. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Good morning! Getting packed up to go for a ride, but havea three hour transit to get there so I'm snarking coffee and just caught up.

[​IMG]

From Redverse FB

WIth ya, Kev!
  9. JR_FX

JR_FX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. TimFinnegan

TimFinnegan Rally addicted

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mischa! Works perfectly!
  11. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    :lol3

so you're F5ing at the refinery are you?

If anyone has a twitchy finger and is dying to watch some racing now, head over to the Africa Race thread. WIth added
    live GPS Iritrack positioning :evil
  12. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    This year I'll be lurking more than posting but I posted my stage 1 wrap up in the cliff's notes if anyone is catching up from yesterday.

Have fun.
  13. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning all

Hello Garfey! :wave

Ooopsie. Well she looked like an expensive date for a rally rider anyway. :rofl

Nice Doyle, thanks! :thumb
  14. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Morning Neil, excellent work on the Google Fu for today. Chapeau :clap
  15. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys :1drink

Its a bit late but here is my fav. car being tested in RSA before the Dakar. I expect Geniel to win this year.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3pE4HMXMfWU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    + a bazillion
    How you pull all that info out of the aether seems like magic to me but it surely is neat. Thanks heaps, again!
  17. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    12 minutes to blast off...F5 key check. Good. Fuel.. Good; Piss bottle good.

Bring it on!
  18. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Yup, as discussed in the pre-thread, I am putting my money on Giniel this year as well.

Methodical, stealthy approach and their race platform is looking awesome. Witness yesterday's result in comparison to the rest of the 4wd competitors
  19. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK riders, Simon Pavey and Don Hatton, complete the first stage with out incident.

The first stage of the 2013 was almost entirely liaison, with a 13km special stage to finish the long ride out of Lima. The 250km liaison brought about it's own challenges as well, with the thick traffic and fans slowing down competitors and creating a melee on the roads.

Don Hatton - " The stage today was really boring, the liaison was long and slow. There was so much traffic on the road, it took hours to get to the special stage. People were driving like crazy and we had to fight our way through. The special stage went okay for me, I haven't ridden sand in a long time and I'm still trying to come to terms with it again. A few people passed me in the stage, but it was decent, I didn't have any problems and the bike felt really good."

While Simon's Dakar 2013 preparations have been fantastic, the Australian was hit with a dose of food poisoning the night before the start. Getting little sleep or food, the stage was always going to be tough. Despite this Simon soldiered on through his illness to take a respectable 60th overall result.

Simon Pavey
    - " Last night was the worst possible start I could have imagined for the race. I felt much better this morning. The liaison section was crazy too. The stage was only short, but it was fun. I love riding sand and the whole course was really fast rolling dunes, top gear most of the way round. The real race starts tomorrow, it looks like the stage is going to be surprisingly long and difficult with the last 40km standing out especially. It's hot out here too, I expect the sand will be soft. "

Stage two is loop stage, 242km special stage and 85km liaison. The stage is almost entirely sand and marks the beginning of a tough few days for the team.

Results:
    Simon Pavey 69th Overall - 0:46.55
    Don Hatton 179th Overall - 1:16.20
  20. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Matches handy to light the f5use?