Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I saw husaberg and demo ride so that was enough for me. Unless i get shafted with well work,I'll be on the blue Dr,or riding husabergs on the demo,then subsequently crying myself to sleep in the corner if its half as good as it sounds on paper.
  2. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I'd like to join you but it will be late by the time I get over there. It takes almost 4 hours from my house. :cry

If you are there Saturday night, I'll join you! )
  3. cannonrider

cannonrider Backroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got back this afternoon from W Va trip.Alot of nice roads down there.Weather could have been a little better but all in all a good ride !!!:ricky[​IMG]" target="_blank">[​IMG][​IMG]" target="_blank">http://[​IMG]" border="0" alt="Photobucket">
  4. jrockrat

jrockrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the re-opened Sunoco on 33 between Sugar Grove and Rockbridge sells them.
  5. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

Husaberg abandoned the funky motor layout so basically you are buying a more KTM than previously with different graphics, plastic and settings.

[​IMG]
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Aged Beef

Oddometer:
    First exit into Logan off 33:
    Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
    12819 Ohio 664, Logan, OH <nobr>(740) 385-1700</nobr> &#8206;

Sells day passes as of last year. Also Micky D's and Bob Evans if you need to evacuate or fill as needed.:huh
  7. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I vote for Indy, Meef and Whitey to get locked in a room with Goonie as an arbitrator.

Ok - seriously:

Goonie - you are funny

Meef - you've become oddly quiet on this subject - maybe not a bad thing though

Whitey - I think you just swatted a fly with a sledgehammer, but I also think you are on the right track

Indy - I like your videos now that you are faster, but the smoking comment for Whitey wasn't cool (I'm proud of him - it isn't an easy thing to kick) and unless you really want to provoke Meef, why keep making the comments? He is actually a good guy who happens to be a bit opinionated and sometimes goes over the top with his flogging, but since he ended up walking away from the video discussion, why try to drag him back in? I can't see it ending well 'til the two of you go riding together and start laughing about it.

For my part, I shouldn't have encouraged it by saying that a video of Meef arresting Indy would be funny, 'cause it would probably would have only been funny for a second until it was taken seriously.

The verbal floggings in this thread are fun as long as the flogger and floggee can both laugh about it. I'd appreciate it if everyone would keep laughing about stuff, not take any of it personally and not salt the occasional open wound. Bikes are supposed to make us happy, not be stressful - We aren't really a family, you know.

I'll let Dicky take it from here...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7VPcFyduRAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well said and thank you.
  9. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    We should remember that we're all brothers....and united by a bond of iron and the love of the road, man.

[​IMG]
  10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Just Monkeying Around

Oddometer:
    Louisville, Ohio/South Carolina in the winter
    Amen to that, we are all in this together( a little Red Green), we just do things a little differenet, but the love of the bike and the freedom to do and go where we want, will keep us together. Also opions are like assholes everyone has one, but most differ from mine and I accept that, might not like it but what the Fuck you are intitled to it.

Dave
  11. bmoto54

bmoto54 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might go Saturday so my son can try out a 250 xc but can't get there till the afternoon cause we're setting up track for the Pumpkin Run in the morning. You are running out of races to keep your 30 year streak alive. Pumkin Run on Sunday the 28th Western Reserve team race on the 4th and then Mansfield, Big Game, Lightning & Mansfield to finish out the year.
  12. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

Pumpkin Run, I'll be there if I don't kill myself Saturday

Team race, plan to be there, tell Jr I'm in if I survive this weekend.

The rest? A freeway in a field, a mud hole beside a railroad, a freeway/mud hole on a hill and back to the fields? Maybe I'll try the 950 at one of the book ends.
  13. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I bought my 690 from those guys. Great place, great people, everyone seemed to be really into riding. After all the paperwork was done, it was hard to get out of there, everyone wanted to chat about riding. Finally I was like 'hey guys, can I go ride my new KTM now?' haha
  14. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Just read the 2013 line up. Seems its the ktm 500 motor now in the berg 501. I'd have to look between them to figure out the differences if any. Good news is there's always the used market or I could go cheaper and not worry so much about damaged plastics on a Japanese bike. Dime a dozen comparatively on parts costs. And im more experienced with Japanese bikes and their workings. Not exactly what I want though.
  15. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    The main differences btwn the 500 and 501 is there is no kickstarter on the 501, and I think the 501 has CC forks, while the 500 are OC.
  16. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy the bike you like riding the most, not what you can justify based on plastic pricing or familiarity. If you want the nicer bits and pieces on a KTM, Berg, Husky, Gas Gas... you will end up paying just as much by the time you put them on a lower priced bike.

The one thing I will suggest is doing your research on valve train reliability / life. The old KTM RFS motors were bulletproof. I'm not sure about the newer stuff. A Honda CRF250X likes to have them replaced and the seats machined or replaced more often than a KTM or Husky two stroke needs top ends. That is one place where the pricing can come out very different. My coworker had to sink over $500 in head work into his Honda with less than 10,000 miles on the clock. That was just the machining and parst cost as he did the rest of the work himself. He put in stainless valves when he went through it, so it should be more durable now, but the stock titanium ones are prone to rapid wear once the hard coating is worn out. With that many miles on my '97 KTM LC4 the valves had only moved a couple thou and been adjusted once. Then again, my KTM weighed 70 or 80 lbs. more.

On similar parts of similar quality, the replacement part pricing matches up pretty well from what I've seen.

If there are certain aftermarket items you know you will want, see if they are available for the model you are looking at. Right now, I'm having a hard time finding radiator guards and bar risers for my '99 Husky.

As for wrenching on them, the bikes aren't all that different, regardless of where they are made. You just have to decide if you are going to pack a 13mm or 12mm.

The other question is whether it matters how close your nearest dealer is.
  17. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    so, I'm out for a ride this afternoon, just cruising along down Middlefork road (see here: http://goo.gl/maps/8kcTy ) and I stop to take a couple pictures of these cute miniature horses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coz, you know, they're just like regular horses, only WAY smaller...right...?
    anyway, I'm just about to get back on the bike when a bike comes rolling up and who should it turn our to be but our very onw Mikef5000:

[​IMG]

on his wr250r...who was meandering towards home after some Tar Hollow-ing with Benly.

we shot the shit for 5 or ten minutes then headed our separate ways...

gotta love chance meetings like this
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Why does every MikeF photo depict him making some wierd white gang signs?
  19. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    When I was his age, i gave the "shocker" in every photo taken of me....for at least a year....made for awkward family christmas cards.
  20. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    If anybody has or knows of an enclosed trailer for sale, let me know. I'm looking for a 7x14 ish, would prefer tandem axles and a ramp door.