the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'd think that, w/a proper spring for your weight, the front end of your mr will still be a lot better than the stock dr front end. i agree, the brakes will need an upgrade. i am planning on doing a 320mm conwersion; they're awailable for the rm's, and include the offset bracket needed. caliper needs no changing; my dr caliper works w/the stock rm front end/brakes...

oh, sst brake line is also a good upgrade, even if you keep the stock dr front end/brake rotor......

doug s.
  2. sagebrushocean

sagebrushocean Harris's hawker

Oddometer:
    A braided stainless front brake line will make a world of difference if all the other stock bits (pads, rotor, caliper, master cylinder) are in good shape.
  3. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Howdy again folks, I have a quick question. I received my Acerbis Tank and went to put it on. On the stock tank there where two hoses, one connected to the bottom left of the carb and the other connected to the top right-ish section.

The Acerbis only has one outlet, was the second hose on the stock tank a breather hose?

Thanks,

Greg
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The hose to the top of the carb is a vacuum which triggers the automatic fuel tap to flow fuel. If you're using a gravity feed with only one hose, plug the vacuum fitting on top of the carb.
  5. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    ahh okay.. any hints on what to plug it with?

Thanks,

Greg
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    There's usually a little rubber plug which comes with the tank/tap. I figure most people put that over the vacuum fitting but I left the hose on the carb fitting and stuffed the rubber plug into the free end of the hose, effectively plugging it. This way if I ever need a piece of tube, there's a handy one right there. :wink:
  7. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Okay, great. Thanks for the help. The 5.3 Natural tone Acerbis changes the look of the bike to.... SWEET!....

Greg

8. Eggsontoast

Eggsontoast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, has anyone tried to fit the XTZ660's front fairing and tank assembly on to a DR? Pat
  9. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Soft Scrub with bleach also works very well on white tanks. I had a white Safari Tank on my Husky and it easily took off the GA Red clay that had stained the tank.
  10. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    That'd be cool looking. It'd probably be more expensive trying to fab that up than just buying a custom fairing kit designed for it though.
  11. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use 13508-17C00 CAP in conjunction with 13671-05A40 CLIP, or install 13502-12D00 COVER, DIAPHRAGM in place of your existing one.

Regards,

Derek
  12. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    :scratch
  13. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:

Suzuki part #'s for a rubber vacuum cap and small spring clamp that will fit over where the vaccum hose is now. Or the cover which has no vacuum port. Your local auto parts store should have an assortment of vacuum caps/plugs for a couple of bucks.

[​IMG]
  14. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I just thought the other guy was picking on me..:D
  15. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:

Carbs have been a regular discussion lately so that might explain the lack of explanation. :D
  16. mud390

mud390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking for options for short, adjustable levers for the DR650 and came up with very few choices. I was really looking for unbreakable (type that pivots up if it hits something) but found nothing. I thought about swapping perches with a SV650 but dislike the way the front master cylinder is mounted. A little parts book scouring led me to discover that the DL650 (Vstrom) and SV650 naked use the same levers for clutch and brake. Since they levers are the same part number, their sizing should be the same, meaning that the world of fancy, shiny levers just exponentially expanded. The perches look identical for clutch, but the brake on the DL650 has the front master cylinder like a DR, except the line output is facing the fork, not forward. It appears that there is enough clearance to rotate the line for proper routing. My questions are as follows:

1. Do you know if the DR and DL front master cylinder have the same bore, stroke, and brake line hardware size? If the DL is larger in bore and stroke, I'm good with that.
    2. Will the DL perches fit a stock DR bar?
    3. Do you think the difference in brake line output locations will affect routing/operation?
  17. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the other questions that you asked, but the previous owner of My DR installed an ASV "unbreakable" clutch on it. works well for me, but I have no idea how to tell which lever it is.

Hoping this helps.
  18. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:

My bad.
  19. deathu

deathu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note, DO use the clip on the vacuum cap. I did not know about this, and although it was a tight fit mine just fell off during a ride, maybe some 300 miles after installing the tank. The crazy exhaust popping at idle immediately got me thinking of a vacuum leak. Anyway, not a nice thing to fix on the side of the road.

20. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Check here --> http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#shortlevers