Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Do you bring this much drama to everything in your life?
    That can't be much fun.
    Do you wear a helmet in the bathtub, where statistically most deaths in the home occur? Be a shame for the wife to have to chase off those buzzard just to take a bath. And step over your rotting corpse to dry her hair.
    Wow.

DO

Where I live the turky buzzards are numerous and active. So three days later you'd likely just say " Look at that cool skeleton"!
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jaysus, Get back to the stupid questions would ya Guys?
  3. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to renew this month and will not be surprised if asked that question.

I think that falls into the same category as, "Do you want cheese/fries with that?" :becca
    Years ago, I gave up pointing out that if I'd wanted cheese I'd have ordered a cheeseburger. Seeing their eyes go blank is too disconcerting; it sometimes reminds me of "Children of the Corn."
  4. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Word!
  5. BOBF4S

BOBF4S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isnt that too much power for you ?

Usually from elderly gents / ladies sitting in suv's with v8's that they drive alone to the shops alone for bread + milk . (guided missiles- non intelligent type .)
  6. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Yesterday at lunch I saw a customer of mine. A young buck that had dropped off some carbs for an LTD440 a couple days before. He said Hey why are you wearing a coat when its so nice out? I told him I have crashed a few times and road rash frikkin hurts. I think he got it. No preaching, but I hope he thinks about it. Its his first bike.

I do not wear ALL the GEAR ALL the TIME, but I wear a lot more than I used to.

David
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears adventure's definition to many here is updating to Vista.
  8. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I was filling up my bike, and some guy filling up his truck on the other side of the pump walks over to look at the bike. "Nice color" he says. "Thanks" I reply. Then he notices the odometer on my bike. He sees it and immediately starts going on about "How can anyone ride a bike 57,000 miles?" and "How did I not die riding all that far?" and so on. He goes on with this the entire time I am getting gas. Finally, I get my helmet and gloves back on, and tell him thank you and ride off. The bike has 5,700 miles! The odometer is the same as nearly every car made in the past 40 years, black background with white numbers for miles, white background with black numbers for 1/10th of a mile. I guess he never looked at the odometer in his vehicles.

Anyway, I thought it was funny that someone could think that it was impossible to ride that much without dying! (And I know guys with 500K miles without a fall) Especially coming from a guy who seemed a bit jealous at the start of the conversation that he didn't have a bike.
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! Who's preaching now? :deal
  10. Tinks

Tinks Demented Snow White

Oddometer:
    Where is your husband/boyfriend? You don't mean to tell me you ride that thing yourself??

:fyyff
  11. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    It's a real shame that such a cute girl got so shredded up, but if you read her story on her website you will understand why I oppose mandatory helmet laws for financial reasons.

Why are stupid people so fertile?
  12. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's her website? Inquiring minds want to know.
  13. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    but we don't know the website. Link?
  14. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
  15. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    That ain't it...
    I'll dig some more. It was in Road Rash Hall of Fame.
  16. 510ebl

510ebl Restless...

Oddometer:
  17. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for finding that, I'm trying to find my post where we were discussing mandatory helmet laws saving money. My point was that had she not been wearing a helmet she would have been killed instantly, but she survived to run up a ginormous medical bill instead.

Now she is an MSF instructor... I used to be a shop teacher and I have all of my fingers, would you listen to my safety lesson more carefully if I was missing a few and "rocked" an eye patch?
  18. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it say anywhere what she racked up in medical bills? I ran up 40gs in three days with my accident and it wasn't anywhere near that bad. I just shattered an arm and a concussion.
  19. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    I was pretty surprised when my buddy Virgil told me that his total medical bills from the dipshit who came over the double yellow and nearly removed his foot last year are almost $1,000,000!

The initial ambulance and 20 minute helicopter ride was about $25K.
  20. 510ebl

510ebl Restless...

Oddometer:

Not to argue, but in this particular case the fact that she survived means she has become an activist for full gear. The fact that so many of us know of her and her experiences speaks to the fact that her work is effective.

The scars certainly have a greater impact than any Joe Schmo with all his skin telling me "helmet good, road rash bad."

On the other hand, stupid should hurt and the Darwinian model has its advantages.

On another note, my ex's med bills from a head-on in a car were well over a half million dollars. New car, air bags, and she was wearing a seat belt. Actually probably closer to a million including rehab, PT, and follow up surgeries.