New Zumo 340/350 GPS discussion

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Moto Mikey, May 24, 2012.

1. skyguy

skyguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I hadn't heard about this feature. But it reinforces my point - Garmin knows how to move data around via Bluetooth, so why not let us upload and download routes and tracks?
  2. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ugh. $699... I was waiting for a Z220 price drop, but at $699 I can't see the 350 driving it down. Why wouldn't I buy a 665? Or a Montana and add city nav?
  3. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Yes, for the same money as a 660/665, why would a 350 have any advantage? Does anyone care about a service log? :huh The66X already does trackback, right? Is lane assist with junction view new?
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Impressive. Once again Garmin has managed to produce a motorcycle GPS that doesn't interest me the tiniest bit.

I'll be buying a Montana when my Oregon finally needs to be replaced. Or maybe by then they'll have an even better handheld unit... Wyoming or Idaho or something. :D (I vote Vermont as the next product name!)

--mark
  5. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    What's really scaring me is that if they're setting this price point for the 350...what the heck are they gonna charge for the full on Z665 replacement with all the bells and whistles?!?!? :eek1
  6. MotoMitten

MotoMitten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that exact same thing earlier today. However what was the list price on the 660 when it was first released? If I remember right it was like $800.
  7. SharkMan77

SharkMan77 Shark on land...

Oddometer:
    Sorry to post a silly question...:shog, but what are the HW and SW features that the 350 doesn't have?

:ear
  8. /dev/null

/dev/null Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't get it. At all.

What exactly warrants a $699 price for this thing? What is superior about this unit compared to a 660? The maintenance log?

Looks like a $100 GPS with the holes plugged and a motorcycle icon turned on by default.
  9. /dev/null

/dev/null Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Music/audiobook playback (broken on the 66x series though if you need to use it through Bluetooth and care about music quality).

Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity.
  10. SharkMan77

SharkMan77 Shark on land...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your answer! :D
    So, in both cases (66x and 350), you'd resort in playing music through a (hardwired? to headset e.g. Sena SMH10) player - such as ipod/iphone - and use the bluetooth connection to your headset just for navigation from the Garmin?

:ear
  11. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Wow, just another basic, overpriced, Nuvi in new clothing. Sadly, the marketing department at Garmin obviously thinks that motorcyclists have more dollars than sense.
  12. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    If riders would stop buying these overpriced units, Garmin might rethink the pricing strategy...
  13. beachdancer

beachdancer Beachdancer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Zumo 660's were on sale at Americade for $575. I stopped at the Garmin booth and the rep there referred me to the dealer at the beach exhibition site.
  14. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    i've been looking hard at a new gps, Still confused on what to get. For the price its pushing me away from this unit.
  15. 14Traits

14Traits Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone know how well it handles or does not handle tracks instead of routes?
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I imagine it's the typical ZUMO software build. Converts tracks to routes. But unlike all those hiking and plotcharter GPS's, the ZUMO doesn't alter the routes as laid out in Mapsource/basecamp which is what matters a heck of a lot more to me.
  17. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Important for me too............I wonder though if the 350 can handle track display like the 66X series or just the track conversion routine like my Z550.
  18. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just read the Owners Manual pdf on the 350. It can display tracks but have no idea if you can just pull in recent tracks (10K) like the 550 or archived or 3rd party tracks.
  19. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:
    Given the mediocre experience I have had with my Colorado, it will take a lot to convince me to part with any amount of cash for another Garmin product. Right now, having reviewed the specs of the new Zumo and shared the reaction of most of the inmates (:eek1 :huh :puke1 ), my idea is to keep the colorado for tracks, and add a regular Garmin or TomTom unit from the car line-up for a fraction of the price and stick it in a weather proof case for day to day on-road riding.

Alternatively, I would consider a 7" tablet if someone ever builds one that is robust AND affordable. Keep in mind here that affordable means comparable in price to a Garmin 660, since at least then for the $$$ I would have a big screen, access to a broad range of mapping/navigation services, MP3, e-reader etc.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    And what of the 340, has anything been published about it? Price, features, release date?