World of Tanks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by OConnor, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Are you running hit zone skins, and aiming appropriately?

I thought that JagdPanther was fine with the 7.5mm, and one of my most successful tanks (121 battles, 74% hit ratio). I probably started carrying a few Gold rounds in it, but those were mainly for high-tiers.

I see your hit-ratio is down around 62% with it, so my guess is either that you're taking very long-distance shots where the pen drops off (and missing some of those long-distance shots), or that you're still working on aiming. You own a few of them, so it's not like you don't know this, but the upgraded tracks, and clutch braking for the driver (have camo trained amongst the rest of the crew), will help spin your non-turreted TD's around faster. I can't remember if the Jagd is one where the tracks need upgraded to load on the bigger guns, but... it does anyway.

Even for distance shots, where the Jagd is good at accuracy, I found I still needed to try to hit a tank going perpendicular to me in the rear engine area, so that meant accounting for his movement and such to try to hit that area. Distance shooting to heavy tanks facing me, frontally, were usually not so great with pen IIRC.

Maybe something did happen to it though - I never rule out War Gaming nerfing German tanks - especially now as a Christmas gift to actual Germans.
  2. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Just found this interesting, thought I'd share.

The following link is advertised as a 12 kill game in a T30 TD. I thought I'd watch it to see if I could learn any new tricks.

Instead, and I think some of you guys will feel the same, that by X-minutes (choose just about any number from 0 to 11) into it I had the feeling a couple of times that the video title may be a fake, or was just wondering how, this late in the game, could this player start to rack up the kills to add up to 12. I didn't really learn anything new, but what was reinforced was that perseverance pays off. From the get-go I knew his calm voice was much like some of the best Guerrillas players I have played with, and he maintained that calm, and that patience I've spoken to some of you about (that the absolute best players have in my experience of platooning with them) on TS. I mean, we're talking ultra-patience in not moving from an area for a good while, like this T30 driver eventually did.

He gets to be half-down on armor, his entire team leaves him, then his last platoon-mate gets killed, yet he just keeps on keeping on. If I ever recorded a video of Wiking (Guerrillas clan) playing his JagdTiger (69.6% win rate in the Jag, mostly due to his own skills - not luck, not teammates), it would appear much the same as he won against overwhelming odds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMk2CVw5D0

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JiMk2CVw5D0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  3. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that i'm getting a slew of "penetration" announcements with no damage at all.

I shot an m3 lee in the rear with a hetzer, derp gun and he shells. Penetration. No damage.

This really seemed to start with 8.2
  4. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Are you sure they're not "we hit" announcements rather than penetration announcements?

At very least, with penetration and a HE round, multiple crew should be dead. You may not see that come up as damage though.

This is another area that's worth looking into with a friend or two in a training room, but ... I'm not buying a Lee tank ever again.
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    :photog

Some of us used free xp and skipped the lee all together :augie
  6. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    I too am confused about penn with no damage. it happens with AP rounds more than HE to me. somethi g has to get damaged :dunno
  7. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    When I do this in the T28 proto or T30 (even when making kills) I get called a camper and have even had dead team-mates give the opposition my coordinates. :huh
  8. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:
    Based on some recent reading about tank warfare, AP rounds did occasionally pen and do no appreciable damage. Yes, there was damage to the armor - but nothing was affected beyond adding some unwanted ventilation.

But we have no way of ensuring they did NO damage whatsoever as shooters since, from the guy who got shot's perspective, he may have just had a crew member die, and that ends up bad enough. Without that commander skill for it, we also don't know how many sub-systems were affected by a pen-no-damage shot.

Although I've read suggestions of it, we also have no way to ensure that a no-damage penetration doesn't weaken that area for a susequent shot that may add to crew members killed or damages. For example. it seems to me that I've had shots that weakened, but did not break, my tracks. But sure enough, the next hit by what-ever on that side will track me. So I believe there may be a cumulation of damage count going on with each area of tanks. (I think Iv'e even heard of super-pershing's double-armored fronts being shot up enough that they started letting shots through.)
  9. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    this was a epic kill.

[​IMG]

yes i was alive after the hit but i got shot right after, and i hit him on the other side of that bush.
  10. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was, until 8.2 came out. I was pretty successful to start, usually got 100-200ish damage a hit, and then - nothing. That's what's so puzzling.

This is a relatively new tank to me, so I've been playing it a bit more like it's weaker cousin,which does pretty well at long range. I've also had a number of games where I've hit OPFOR tanks a number of times in the usual places w/no damage. For instance, with the KV5, hitting the washing-machine in front and right of the turret usually gets some good damage. With that tank, a dead-center hit got a "bounce".

LOL.

On the other hand, I just bought a T28, and I'm already getting pretty good results with it after 3 battles:

[​IMG]
  11. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    should i get spall liner on the amx 40?

i have rammer, vents, and bogey wheels mounted
    love that tank
    30 hit battles not uncommon

what crew training??
  12. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've since upgraded to the next gun up - MUCH better.

Correction - I was still using the 8.8/36! I double-shotted a tank, and got good pen's on other tanks.

I give up. :huh
  13. Mambo Danny

Oddometer:

Are you keeping that AMX 40 long term?! :huh :rofl

I mean, sure, I can see a spall liner instead of the wheels since it is so slow, since arty at that level fires so fast, and since you're going to see Hetzers with their HE Derp guns.... but crew skills?

Clutch braking makes the tank turn faster, but I forget how fast that turret turns, or if it even needs clutch braking to help it.

I mean, if it's a serious contender for a keeper tank, then you've got to determine what area you feel it's lacking in. If you hide in bushes a lot and snipe, then camo skills across the board. Play it as a super-tank taking on all comers, then Brothers in Arms for all crew (doesn't take effect until all crew hit 100% with it). Getting tracked a lot, or damaged otherwise? Then repair for all crew.

I know the AMX 40 isn't a fast tank, so perhaps some perks should be ruled out, but I've seen the tank played in different ways, so it's tough to suggest the best perks.
  14. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    i like it as a brawler
    its fun

i've bought the tank past it already, and will keep it long term

plus i'm ok at playing it, nobody takes an amx 40 seriously
  15. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I know I giggle every time I see one.:lol3
  16. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    i average 25 hits a game
    what other tank does that??
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Churchill III.

There's a reason it holds 140 rounds :D
    (mind you.. the average damage is 75).
  18. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    I hated the amx 40 with a passion that bordered on psychotic.

I would huff and puff and waddle up to the battle. Most of the time when I would finally get there the top 2-3 on the enemy team would pop around a corner a foot away.

poof.
  19. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    Nope, they'll holler out Penetration!.... then nothing. I've been running the churchill a lot lately, so flinging plenty of lead. Mediums, heavies, lights, TDs, arty....

doesn't seem to matter which tank I'm shooting at. Or even where. I had one game that reported 25 hits on a kv-1 and a grand total of about 130 damage.
  20. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    at least I'm not the only one with this problem.