Klim Traverse Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, May 18, 2010.

1. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    I've never bought armor for a jacket, and my last jacket (Badlands) had D3O T5 Pro, which I'm not sold on. My only complaint was how stiff it was when cold, so I'm looking at other options. I don't want to modify the shoulder or elbow pockets; but, if necessary, I'd be willing to trim the armor. I think my choices are:

1) Forcefield (the grey kind)
    2) Forecfield NeT (the gold kind)
    3) Alpinestars Bio
    4) Rukka RVP
    5) D3O Xergo
    6) D3O T5 Pro (only because I know it fits).

I ride mostly offroad... any opinions on the fit? I posted this in the Traverse thread, because I'm not that concerned about the safety level- I think they will all do fine. Plus, I'm not riding Dakar speeds, anyway.

Edited to add some other options
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a set of aerostich t3 armor cut to fit. I had a new set on hand. D30 in the hip pockets the pockets are long but slim, so I bet you'd have to trim the width of any armor.
  3. Travman

Travman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a reference I do use the D30 armor in the shoulders and the back (viper model) but use Knox Advance X (large) for the elbows. The Knox just barely fit the pockets and provide added coverage and fill out the sleeves nicely.

BTW - I wear the Traverse as a street jacket.
  4. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Well, if anyone cares (and, I doubt anyone does)... I went cheap and bought the A*'s pads. They come as a 4-piece set (shoulders and elbows). The foam feels pretty substantial, and I doubt it will get as hard as the 3DO in the winter. Best part is (besides the price)- they fit with no mods*. Although, it took a bit of coercing to get the elbows in. That's better than loose, though. Decent coverage for the pads.
    The reality for me is, I don't need these pads; I've got a Spidi Multi-Tech to wear underneath. But, I only wear that for longer rides, so I figured the Alpinestars would be good to have when I'm just cruising around town.

*Size Medium jacket with Large pads.
  5. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Lol I do. Good improve. I still wear my traverse and today was poured on for hours and then hit snow. Dry as a bone and this suit is going on its 3rd full season.
  6. dmitriy_adv

dmitriy_adv Dmitriy M

Oddometer:
    Did a weeklong ride around California earlier this year in the Traverse suit. We rode through 100 degree deserts and 34 degree mountain passes, no problem. Got rained on a couple days - no problem. I stayed comfortable the entire time, no complaints what so ever.

Klim makes good stuff!
  7. SmilinDave

SmilinDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone help me figure out how tight the Traverse pants will pack (no armor)? I've finally got a good waterproof street jacket (Latitude Misano) and now I need a pair of overpants. My hope is to keep them packed in my top box for the rainy and/or cold days in the Fall, Winter, and Spring and then to wear them over shorts for commuting in the Summer. I figure if they pack up tighter than my old full rain gear, then I'm getting out ahead.
  8. SmilinDave

SmilinDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called Klim this afternoon. A representative took some measurements for me using a pair of pants that they had on hand. Without armor, a size 36 Traverse pant can be folded in half and rolled into a cylinder that is 6" in diameter and 8" in length. That's much tighter than I guessed it would be considering how sturdy the Traverse pants are. Sounds like a no-brainer to me for a pair of everyday riding pants, albeit without armor.
  9. soph9

Oddometer:
    Why not just wear the pants with armor as your everyday gear...:thumb
  10. SmilinDave

SmilinDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. You're right. ATGATT

ATGATT is a sort of 12 step program for me (and lots of other long-time motorcycles). I started riding on the road in Florida after all. I think their state invertebrate is the squid. Interesting, is that why squids don't wear back protectors? Anyhow, it's not so much the ATG part since we all collect gear. I've got five jackets, four pairs of boots, four pairs of gloves, two helmets, one pair of pants, a track suit, and a compression suit.

It's really the ATT part. There's no denying that driving a cage is the best way to protect yourself on your roads today, and it's usually far more convenient to hop in a car and take off. Exception being parking and lane-splitting. For me, the trick to ATGATT is to find gear that's convenient, comfortable, and safe. A few days a week I have a horrible commute: home -> work -> campus -> work -> errands -> home. Riding a bike to/from campus saves me an amazing amount of time. But I can't afford the time for a lot of packing, unpacking, changing, and carrying gear around.

I've been working on it over the years and I'm on my last two steps:

• Step 11: An overpant without padding will be convenient and comfortable because it isn't too bulky to carry or wear. It does have shortcomings with safety. It's a compromise, but it doesn't mean that I won't keep searching. I'll likely try some D30 armor in there at some point.
    • Step 12: I often commute in street shoes. Yep, I said it. I'm working on it though. I'm looking for a more walkable pair of boots.

Interesting story about convenience, comfort, and safety. I went on an extended (spirited) ride with my track back protector once. It was so uncomfortable that I was getting cramps from the kidney strap as the hours wore on. I almost threw in the trash at one stop, but I finally managed to adjust to so that it was tolerable. I low-sided nearly thirty minutes later and broke my back. I would have been paralyzed without the extra gear on. I'm so thankful. However, I was wearing jeans and skate shoes so I had some pretty good road rash. hehehe Idiot!

Anyhow, that's just my take on ATGATT. I'm not trying to lecture, advise, or even make a point. I always say ride your own ride.
  11. soph9

Oddometer:
    I don't really care how others ride or if they gear up to go to the corner store to get milk. I think the traverse is comfy to the point even doing out to dinner feels right wearing the pants. So, if you find it as comfy as I do just might be easier to slide them on as an overpaint each time you ride. As for runners. They are some pretty cool looking "protective" sneakers out there.
  12. SmilinDave

SmilinDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I jumped to the conclusion that your earlier comment was a recommendation for me to gear up better. Regardless, I wasn't trying to pounce so much as I was really just vocalizing something that I've been thinking about a lot this past year. This thread is probably not the place. Perhaps my personal blog would have been better. hehehe

In the event that folks are thinking of using the Traverse pants in a similar way as me, I'll make sure to post up later with my experience in case it might help someone with a decision.
  13. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    debating with myself over the following options

traverse pants
    - or -
    my chinooks with some kind of pull over for rain.
    [in either scenario i may or may not purchase something like the traverse jacket. might just try to use my old moose expedition]

One of my biggest concerns is heat build up. I hate being hot. And I love how well my chinooks can cool me down. But I also am going to need something waterproof for a longer trip. The advantages of the traverse pants to me are nto having to stop and put on over pants. I know that I will likely stop to put on a waterproof jacket but come on... anyone arguing that to me is implying there is no difference between donning the over jacket and the over pants - you are obviously insane. I like the thought of not having to do anything but pull over and put on my jacket. i also like the comfort of knowing if i fall over or something i wont instantly shred my waterproof layer. (most over pants i have seen tear apart pretty easy). I am just concerned that the traverse will not flow nearly the amount of air the chinooks or mojaves do and I will be captain monkey butt when it stops raining.

the advantages of the chinook and overpants are the opposite i would reckon. plenty cool and vented but fragility in rain and the pain in the ass of putting things on over boots. I also happen to prefer in the boot pants. (which is nto really an option with waterproofness, though it would be cool if someone could pull that off interfacing with waterproof boots...)

anyone else had to make that decision or have experience with both? let me know if i am overlooking something or mistaken about ventilation on the traverse pants

type of riding: moderate off road. fire roads and stuff mixed with single/two track though hopefully nothing too insanely hard because I still suck.
  14. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Baron, the Traverse pant flows quite alot of air with front and rear vents open. They also breathe very well when zipped up. GoreTex is the gold standard and did keep me dry for a 3hr ride into a steady rain. Pants are well made with leather sewn into the lower sections of the legs. My biggest gripe was for the price, they should have come with CE impact protection and more pockets. I was able to scavenge the Knox plastic from prior pants so not a deal breaker. The 20% off from BikeBandit really convinced me to pull the trigger. YMMV.
  15. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    I just got the new KLIM moto catalog and the Traverse was not listed.:huh Does anyone know if they're phasing it out???
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    Probably but there is stock I have seen them in stores. Since the Overland is out the Traverse is sort of redundant.
  17. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea, but I visited their site and I noticed that there is a distinct difference in product marketing for the newer line items created after they were purchased by Polaris.

a lot of "Max" "Amazing" "Extreme" and "Outstanding"!

"RHINOSTICH". I don't even know what the heck that means...it feels like the brand is changing.
  18. Travman

Travman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for one, I've got a XXL jacket looking for a new home.
  19. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Ha! Thanks, I really like the pants. I've had a pair of Badlands, and latitude and the Traverse were cut the best for commuting and riding off road. I've crashed several times in my existing ones and the velcro is dead.....I've got to replace them before they leave the planet.:eek1
  20. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

PM sent.

Oddfellow