Used Subarus and the head gasket thing...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mazaev, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    Subaru must be showing a different version of the ad up there. I haven't seen the dead dog one. Do you have the same problem with all the commercials that show old people or grandparents?
  2. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    3.0R.

[​IMG]
  3. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    NICE!

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Subaruoutback.org might be a good place to start. Lots of good information on their forum.

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife and I saw that ad last night. After it was over I turned to her and told her the next trip would be with the dog in a urn.

My lab made a few trips in my WRX until I traded the car because of tranny issues that could not be fixed.
  6. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Where you live sounds exactly like Boulder. It's nothing but Jeeps and Subarus here (ok I'm exaggerating a little bit, but seriously only a little), and some people think their tired ass OBW is worth more than a fucking BMW!

The Jeep Brand has treated me as well if not better than previous Toyotas I've owned of the same age and over the same amount of miles and time. Shocking since Jeeps are supposed to be pieces of shit.

I really think that Subarus are a good car, the Headgasket thing is kind of a big deal, BUT there's nothing that matches the car in terms of fuel economy combined with snow performance and if Subarus really were THAT bad there wouldn't be so many on the road, and they wouldn't have so many REPEAT customers.

When I was growing up in New England in the 80s and Early 90s there were a few Subarus on the road but not tons, and the people that owned them LOVED them, I mean they were fanatics! But mostly families drove Volvos, VWs, Audis, Cherokees and other Domestic Junkers, and now when I go back to visit my folks Subarus are definitely one of the dominate brands followed closely by Toyota and Honda. I don't think the brand would've caught on like that if they were bad cars.

I'm going back and forth about getting one personally, my commute has doubled and the MPGs of a 2.5 4cyl over a 4.7 V-8 while still maintaining AWD are pretty enticing.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Not a dead dog - it starts with a puppy, and ends with a gray haired old version of said puppy.

As for grandparents - I barely knew one of them, he died when I was 3. His wife is still alive at 94 and I love her dearly. On my Mom's side, I lost both of them about 6 years ago. Both were in their 90's.

My deceased grandparents were wonderful, kind people who taught their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to work hard, be honest, and lead productive, contributing lives. And they lived great lives themselves. The end was rife with Dementia and Alzheimer's. For those reasons I celebrated their lives and didn't shed a tear when they passed.

I've cried like a baby every time I've had to put a dog down. To me that's like losing a child. Many, many dog owners feel the same way. Perhaps an unintended consequence, but Subaru feels compelled to remind us of their short lives every time that stupid commercial plays. Aside from that, no car - no matter how good it is - will ever match the loyalty of a 4 legged companion. Again, a really dumb commercial.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
  9. .fisher

.fisher pissin' in the wind

Oddometer:
  10. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    175k on my 07 impreza, no head gasket problem to speak of. The suspension is shot now and i had to change out a rear wheel bearing (not a huge deal) and a clutch due to the throwout bearing going bad and eating everything (kind of a big deal but still got it done in a weekend). Of course I have little use for AWD around these parts, but seeing as I bought it from my dad on the cheap, i can't complain. Not an awe inspiring car but she starts and runs without complaint every day.
  11. garandman

Oddometer:
    Citation needed.

In terms of market share, Subaru used to have about 1% overall in the US. They had 4% in New England, 6% in Colorado, and 8% in Vermont. In Massachusetts, the Outback is the number one nameplate in 40 of the state's 326 cities and towns.

FWIW the lighter Impreza does not have as many head gasket problems as the much heavier Outback wagon. The old Imprezas had the Subaru 2.2 - a nearly indestructible engine, even when cared for by hippies, ski bums, and skinflints.
  12. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    One of my instructors once said this about heavy trucks (that's what the class was about), but I apply it to everything with wheels:

"The only thing you need to know about them is, they are all pieces of shit."
    :rofl

Look, I've read posts on several boards about Subarus that people have had, and claimed an endless list of problems. My personal experience is vastly different. I've also had near perfect service from a 1986 Audi for 12 years and owned a string of Fiats back in the day when nobody knew what they were. OTOH, my '81 Charger 2.2 is legendary for being the biggest POS I ever owned, a distinction it managed in only 30 days of ownership before I dumped it (for a '67 Jeep CJ-5...an equally abysmal turd). My '86 Honda CRX Si, a car worshipped by car geeks, left me indifferent and was a complete PITA to work on the few times it needed fixing. My Ford Ranger was a truck I couldn't be happier about seeing depart my driveway, and I'm a Ford guy.

I've found some people just have bad luck with certain brands, or models, or particular vehicles. Do your homework, but realize that everyone bitches when something breaks but rarely praises when something works without drama for 200,000 miles.
  13. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    My nephew had a WRX turbo, but totalled it. Then he bought a STI and it blew a head gasket and parked it. I offered to buy it, but being he's been so busy, he sold it off before he knew I was interested. Like Bueller, I think I'm getting too old to be working on cars.....bikes take up way less room when disassembled.:lol3
  14. Flynch

Flynch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking the resale value of my 95 Legacy wagon with the great 2.2 just went up!
  15. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've been noticing a switch from subaru to honda crv/toyota rav4s up here in VT. Now that the subaru is just another expensive awd that gets poor gas mileage in a crowded marketplace, loyalists seem to be jumping ship. I blame the vehicle quality but that is because I have an axe to grind with them after my 2010/2011 outbacks.
  16. rayder

rayder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subarus first got my attention with the early 80's Loyale and its' high/low 4wd transmission. Too bad they've all melted away from the salt and rust.

Then the early 90's 2.2 engine truly was bullet proof. You didn't even have to worry about the timing belt because it was a non-interference engine. The Legacys were a nice ride and I had a two wheel drive one that could get 35mpg with a little careful driving.

But in my opinion it has been down hill since then. I've had 12 different subies, seven on the road at one time, but reliability has been inversely proportional to the age of the car. We have a 2002 impreza with all the fore-mentioned problems. And they've gotten amercinized and grown huge. I think you could open the back door of a Tribeca and drive a Justy right in.

My love affair with Subaru has pretty much faded.

hey John
  17. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible Supporter

Oddometer:
    Their styling hasn't improved, either, IMO.

The last decent looking Impreza was 2007.

With the possible exception of the Forester, I don't like the look of anything in their lineup anymore.
  18. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    I still think that Subaru's AWD system is superior to the competition. The problem I've found is that while the AWD system is superior to other makes, most of the rest of the cars are lacking in one way or another. Especially with the interiors. Despite Honda and Toyota (IMO) making mostly boring vehicles, they're far better assembled and with better quality materials than most Subarus, so unless you're constantly driving through snowdrifts, most people will lean towards the nicer interior with better features, because that's what you see and use more often. I'd still rather have a Forester or Outback than a CRV or RAV4, but I tend to lean towards the unique.
  19. garandman

Oddometer:
    Then how do you explain Subaru's continued growth in US market share?
  20. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    they have come quite a ways in interior features in the last 6 or 7 years. i really like their cold weather features the most, though. defrosting mirrors, defrosting wipers, heated seats, etc.