Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ravelv

ravelv from Baltic side of river

Oddometer:
    Depends which model year you have... If something starting from 1991, when front brake was upgraded and caliper bracket bolt holes are 117mm apart, simpler would be to user SLR650 caliper and any 296mm honda rotor... Look back for my posts here about this.

jerrekan likes this.
  2. malkmus13

malkmus13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    its a XL600 VK model
  3. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:

year?
  4. trex300

trex300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So the ones I'm looking at on Ebay should work for me.

And ordered.

Thank you very much for this info,
    you guys are the best,
    Rick :D
  5. malkmus13

malkmus13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry, its an XL600 VK. 1990 model. in red/white
  6. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Wow one of the really OLD ones! :D

Steampunk anyone?
  7. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:

The Hawk Rotor is just the front disk from a Honda Hawk. Unfortunately there is no identifying info stamped on mine and I got the whole thing as a package deal. I would just advise emailing or PM ing Jim Rowley at MAP engineering before ordering the caliper adapter and he can tell you exactly what part/year/size you need to look for. You don't need a new caliper, the adapter just moves the existing caliper outwards to accomodate the larger diameter disc from the Hawk (larger diameter means better stopping power apparently).

As for the braided lines, there are several manufactures and I don't know what is easier for you to access there, but all you really need is the right length with the correct fittings fittings on each end. The TA originally has rubber hose connecting to fixed steel tubing and back to rubber hose. You can replace the whole thing with a single braided line of the right total length (mine appears to be approx. 46 inches long incl. fittings). Just make sure to route it so nothing pinches and secure it appropriately with clips or zip ties. Any good bike shop that carries braided line should be able to help you out.

The adapter/rotor upgrade can be done independently from the brake line upgrade.
  8. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to over complicate this Honda did use the name Hawk on many bikes.........

The Hawk you what the rotor from is the NT650 and Europe it has a diffferent name.
    That same rotor is use on several other bikes I believe the St1100 uses the same rotor and it "bolts right up"....best way to determine the cross reference on the NT650 rotor is check on an aftermarket brake site and you will see they use the same rotor part # on several bikes. The Honda part numbers does not show a croos reference interchange.
  9. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What works for your Transalps for gravel, asphalt and everything in between. I'm researching tires for my James Bay, Goose Bay trip this Sept.
    I have a set of Avon Gripsters mounted now and they worked great for 5000 miles of 99% pavement.
    I'm thinking of TKC 80s, another set of Gripsters or others that have been advised. Tourances, distanzias and I enen thought of mounting another set of D606s but the ride and noise would drive me up the wall.
    I figure I'll ride 6500 miles with about 1500 miles of gravel and in Sept rain.
    Dudley
  10. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    If jim Rowley doesn't have any of his rotors available, EBC, a British company, also makes a high quality, full-floating rotor for the Honda NT650 Hawk that should work with the adapter bracket Jim designed.
  11. willows

willows Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. malkmus13

malkmus13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. MAP engineering is getting me the adapter thing and also a used Hawk rotor. for $60 - A brand new Hawk rotor in the UK is $270.

I am looking forward to being able to stop the bike without giving myself a hernia pulling on the brake lever!
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have Tourances on mine and like them on both pavement and gravel. They should be able to handle the mileage and the weather.
  14. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer:
    Finally ready, got her in Feb with 12K on the clock, needed a little TLC, but now finally ready for action.
    ta roof 008.jpg
  15. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer:
  16. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    With the recent post concerning rotors and braided brake lines, I thought I'd post the part number off of my Galfer braided line kit. I have yet to install it (it came with the bike) because of more pressing matters.

Verbatim from the packaging:

Line 1: Frenokit Galfer

Line 2: FK003D110 F Hon. Translap Front All Years

Yes, they spelled TransAlp incorrectly. :D
  17. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    That's news to me. Do you mind telling me who you talked/emailed with?:huh
  18. old2wheeler

old2wheeler Former nÔÔb

Oddometer:
    La Veta, CO except for the wind, it'd be heaven
    Jim, I just posted a reference to you on a thread where a guy on the TAT is stuck in Colorado Springs needing a DR 650 CDI unit. Here is a link to his thread: link

Rod
  19. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    I offered to help but don't think a TA cdi will work on a DR650.
  20. malkmus13

malkmus13 Adventurer

Oddometer: