Snoops Enfield Diesel Conversion Thread

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by snoopy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    here's a close shot...

[​IMG]
  2. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What power is your MIG?
  3. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snoop in reply that was using a stick welder.

You may already know but with the diesel engine, run it and change the oil. Do this about every 100miles (a few times) as there is a lot of swarf and crap left in there from factory. Drain the oil screen filter too. There is alot of crap in there.

I've change my oil about seven times and cleaned the screen when the motor was not installed to the bike. There is still some crap that comes out.
  4. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    mine is 230v and 185A right now, but i had a 110v 70A years ago and it was able to push some decent heat through 5/16" steel. migs are pretty straight forward as there isn't much that can be changed. you've got wire speed, heat, and wire diameter. for 1/4" material wire about 0.025" should be good. smaller wire you wont get the heat through. if it's sparking and making those little blobs like your seem to be crank up the wire speed.
  5. Grider Pirate

Grider Pirate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yer killin me. You stumble across a diesel engine, like they're everywhere. Ariel Red Hunter's are common. Hell, you probably trip over old AJS's and Greeves just trying to get to a pub.
    I really like the project. It looks like it will be good fun and very economical once you get it sorted.
  6. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    I love the report about the first trial ride into the fence. And then the flapping mirror. :freaky
  7. nanno

nanno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Absolutely, "normal" people would probably write something like "... and then it stumbled, stuttered and failed!" But this is the truth, you always end up in a fence, a hedgerow or your neighbour's new car!

Cheers,
    Greg
  8. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a good job, I rebuilt a Enfield Robin for a friend last year which is an interesting bike which had already done 50,000 miles, it was looking rather shabby but was still soldiering on.
    If you are going touring on it I would suggest metricating as many nuts and bolts as possible so you don't need to carry 2 sets of spanners.
    Good luck with the trip, I came long way up a couple of years ago and petrol was a major expense, it tends to be about $1US per litre in most of Africa although in Libya was only 12 cents per litre.
  9. Ash

Ash UFO Pilot

Oddometer:
    " In a plump of black smoke, noise, stinkin' diesel aroma and vibes I selected first and then set off down my driveway.
    Upon which I crashed into my bottom fence.
    I'd not ridden an Enfield before and my brain was still in "normal" mode. When the front brake didn't work I hit the gearshift instead of the left hand side rear brake."
    :clap :clap :1drink
    made i larf.
    enjoying this snoops. :thumb
  10. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An update is due soon. :evil
  11. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it soon yet ?
  12. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got an Enfield and would love to convert her but my local registration bureaucrats won't let me do it without miles of red tape and inspections ! They'd probably let me get the job done then refuse to register it .:eek1

Here's another diesel Enfield link ,a good one ,just in case you haven't found it .http://www.altmann.haan.de/riding_on_salad_oil/
  13. Chris K

Chris K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy cow! That looks like the same engine......but the mounting bracket is enormous....

:eek1
  14. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've spoke to Charles quite a bit about his conversion. There are two ways of doing it either with the engine dead center like he has or to the side. If you go with his you have to use the shaft from the diesel Enfield "Travis" which is welded and unreliable.

Been raining for a couple days so I took the time to rip the electrics to bits and remove some defunct wiring. I've upgraded to the new "Minda" controls and levers but I need some new Bullet connectors to get things going.

Here's another: http://www.b2b-bx10.com/bike.html

Andrew
  15. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ''Taurus " ?
  16. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes its the factory built Taurus.

Sibbo you maybe interested. I got my Enfield Diesel rego'd easy. It was previously rego'd as a petrol 350. I had to fill out a form for engine change.
    I wrote in the new displacement, make and fuel type.
    Got that posted and 5 days later motor reg sent me the updated vehicle details. I didn't have to pay any fees for the update.
    Could hardly believe it.

Do you need to go thru blue slips or roadworthy in NSW if you buy a vehicle from interstate or is it just a paperwork thing, new plates and your off?
  17. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completed all my electrics today, DC runs from 8v to 20v which blew the horn. All the LED's have survived (so far anyway). I'm running the new Enfield controls which is cool as the headlight switch is on the handlebars now. I moved the indicator/high beam into a single twin colour LED and then put the GPS where the speedo & altmeter used to be.

The new clutch cable I put in is too short and clutch is slipping, so I wont be out on it this weekend. :cry
  18. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    snoopy,
    Good progress with the conversion.
    What do you think is the problem with the voltage regulator or lack there of?
  19. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The voltage regulator and rectifier (two separate units for the Enfield) were "worn" and giving out AC which fried a few of my circuits. I decided to drop using a regulator as they generate heat, wasted energy, and I've only got 4A to play with. This was recommended over on dieselbike.net by somebody that had done just this.

Without the headlight on I was using about 0.73A. This went down to 0.44A when I switched the GPS 5V circuit from a dropdown-regulator to a switching power circuit (ripped from an iphone charger).

4A is the maximum from the diesel generator, pottering around 2-3A is probably more common.
  20. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the completed electronics & controls at the front. I'm quite pleased with the combi indicator/main beam bracket/light.

[​IMG]