Tourmaster synergy electric jacket

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by spraypilot, Jan 16, 2008.

1. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I will only be running the heated liner, for now. This info shores up my calculations. I think I will be fine. If I do have issues, I think I will replace the battery, with one of those that are used on 4 wheelers, that run winches, and other assessories. I checked with my local battery supply warehouse. A battery, with double the cold cranking amps, can be had for about $60 plus tax, and the old core.

Here is what I really like, if I were to do all with the LED swap. I like the idea of the turn signals acting as marker lights, for safety and visibility.
    Signalminder!.
    https://www.kisantech.com/view_product_pop.php?product=SM-2
  2. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

A battery with more cca might not help too much unless you simply want to have a battery that will take longer to run down which isn't the best solution in my book. You will have to look for battey with more amp or some list it as amp/hrs which is different than a battery's CCA. For the most part, a battery with significantly longer amp amp/hr rating will probably be significantly larger unless it a totally different technology than the regular ole lead acid batteries. Maybe the new lithium batteries might be different but I know most of them don't like going below 8 volts and don't recover if they do. A larger stator that puts out more watts or saving wattage by using LEDs would be the better solution I think.
  3. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
  4. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes your right cca might not help. But I think more amp/hours, would do me fine. I dont plan to need the extra power All the time!
    The guy did mention the battery was not the old, add the acid after you buy it type. And that it had some new sort of technology.
  5. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    I went riding yesterday for the first time with my synergy jacket and gloves in high 30 degree weather on my WR250R. I was able to stay out for over 3 hours and covered about 120 miles. Some of that was at highway speeds and I was able to stay pretty warm. Low seemed pretty warm at first but I needed medium later on in the day. I could not really feel the heat in the gloves on low but my hands got cold if I turned them off. I could feel the heat on the back of my hands on medium though. My toes did get a little cold by the end.
  6. motobone

motobone Free for all!

Oddometer:
    Just used mu new Synergy vest with a collar on a 100 mile snow loop and it was sooo toasty. This is my first piece of heated gear and now I'm a believer. I've been off the bike for 5 hours and and I still fell the warmth from the vest (wait a minute - I might be cooked). It was 30 to 40 F today and I never felt too cold at all. My fingers were somewhat chilled but much warmer than without the vest.

All in one package, fast and easy. Warm core = warmer hands
  7. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used my liner in 30 degree temps, the last week. Low seems to do me fine. Good to know medium and high are available.
    I wish i had got one size smaller. Other than that very pleased, so far its the best thing i have bought for winter riding.
  8. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Use mine yesterday as well. Temps down to 32F. Never had it set higher than low. Excellent piece of equipment.
  9. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :cryI took a spill Saturday, while wearing my liner, without a jacket. Bonehead move I know.
    Imangled the out nylon, but not to much tio the stuffing. I took the jacket to a tailor, for repair. I hope it doesn't effect the performance of the heating ability.
    This liner makes riding in cold temps, reassuring, that if you start to get cold, you have the option to warm up!:D
  10. mike toon

mike toon AKA Mr Pastrami

Oddometer:
    I would have made sure it worked before spending a dime to have it sewn up.
  11. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Would it be safe to say they finally figured out how to make a reliable controller.

After 3 replacement controllers my liner just hangs in the garage. I would like to have my passengers be able to use it.
  12. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I forget who makes it but somebody makes a plug that shorts the Synergy connector (probably mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread) and then you can leave the Tourmaster controller at home and just use a Warm-n-Safe Controller instead. It's the only way to be sure you won't be left out in the cold. Both I and a riding buddy went that route.
  13. duanew1

Oddometer:
    I noticed it at motorcycle superstore the other day.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/461/32387/ITEM/Firstgear-TM-Adapter.aspx
  14. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I got the adapter and WnS heattroller and did feel like I got much heat out of it. Eventually bought a Gerbing to use with the heattroller. The gerbing is sweet.

I don't want to invest in another heattroller if I can get the FG controller replaced. Though that new wireless heattroller looks pretty cool.
  15. duanew1

Oddometer:
    I kind of seems like to me that less people are complaining about the broken controllers. I hope that they are better made now because I just bought a set. Only time will tell if I will be left out in the cold. I might just carry around my extra glove controller just in case. It is of course not the same as the jacket conlroller, but at least I can have warm hands.
  16. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    +1. I have a Gerbing old style jacket liner with dual thermostat to work with Gerbing G3 gloves. I've had it now for over 4 years without a single problem. You can adjust the jacket heat or the gloive heat separately on the fly provided you got the thermostat mounted/clipped where you can access while riding. I normally clip mine to the rear of my tank bag. I wish the coaxial type power connector was little easier to connect and disconnect and thought about using the Wns heattroller but decided against something else in between the Gerbing system controlling the output.

I bought mine years ago on the last day of Daytona BW when all the vendors are packing up to go home and they will start discounting sharply so that they don't have to pack or ship it back. You can get some great deals if you approach them while they are packing up!

Jon
  17. Racerman27410

Racerman27410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

i'm still on my original controller from 4 years ago. (knock on wood) no issues.

BUT i do carry a jumper wire in my tankbag just in case
  18. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Mine's been going strong for three years now, no problems (knock on wood). Interesting adapter though...
  19. eeore39648

eeore39648 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have, Doh!, but its being sewn now. I think it will work. It was not on, or plugged in at the time I went down.
    I will report back here after I get it back.
  20. mtbspeedfreak

mtbspeedfreak Super Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much current does this jacket draw?

I can't find the specs for low, medium, and high settings.

Thanks in advance! I'm riding a '76 Kawasaki and the stator is marginal at best- so I gotta count my watts. :rofl