dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I did my first 2 wheel test of the software today. I did a 60 mile ride on a bicycle. Vector maps, in perspective mode, network radios shut off (airplane mode). Quite a bit of the course was under dense canopy. Pretty bumpy in places as well. I learned that it is important to fix the application in Portrait or Landscape mode because the bouncing confuses the accelerometer, the software had that feature already so that was a road side fix. The phones GPS tracked well in all locations. Speed seemed pretty accurate, but I don't have a calibrated speedo to verify, not that it really matters. Endurance wise, the app used 80% of my battery in 3 hours (it was not plugged in at all). There was also one area where the maps I rendered were not very good at all. I need to verify, but I believe the problem is in the source map file rather than the renderer, though that is just wishful thinking. All in all, a great first cycle test.
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Tracking this. Was the remote (PS controller) going to control pan/zoom etc functions, maybe some phone function as well???
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Pan, zoom, add a waypoint. It will also probably talk to the music player.

I want to clarify that the remote is still just an idea. I have all the skills to implement it, except for producing an inexpensive weatherproof housing for it. I'm pretty sure I can find someone to do that portion so I may do it. The phone GPS was pretty good, so I don't exactly see the need to add an auxiliary GPS receiver at the moment. More testing will need to be done. The most compelling reason to create the remote though is so we can weatherproof our phones and still have access to map functions. That seems pretty important to me.
  4. beechum1

Oddometer:
    agreed and agreed. What about this, and I realize the amount of work that goes into this EVEN IF you decide to do it, so i'm just spitballing..... programming some hotbuttons for say, texting, and voice command. i ahve the evo, and a bluetooth dongle for music that I would mount IN myhelmet if i felt so compelled to.

To be able to answer phone calls without stopping, touching the screen etc,to be able to reply to text messages without typing, and of course music player functions.... I like where you're going with that. if you want any help I'm in for what it's worth. If you remember, we talked about the gas station map idea a while back...
  5. wlightn

wlightn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like this will be a great app. Looking forward to it.
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Photos have been added. It's not super important, but it is on the list.
    [​IMG]
  7. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Neat project!

A lot of concern about waterproofing... Verizon just released a waterproof Android phone called the "commando" built by Casio. I've got an older casio ruggedized model and I've nothing really bad to say about it.

This just might be the reason to upgrade I've been looking for :thumb
  8. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Benron is right to worry about weatherproofing. That is important for any motorcycling product. The idea of getting a special weatherproof android device seems antithetical to my stated goal of bringing the cost down and convenience up for dual sport GPS tools. If I had need for a hardened phone already, then that seems reasonable but otherwise a Garmin Montana might make more sense to me if I was going to buy another gizmo. Of course, I don't want to do that again.

That brings me to you guys for help. Any ideas for how I can weatherproof a thumb joystick and some buttons? I can prototype it electronically, but I don't have any good ideas on how to deliver a product usable in the real world. What would be perfect is some device that already does what I need in a weatherproof package. Something designed for another purpose and mass-produced so our costs can be kept down. It needs a hat-switch for panning and some buttons. Ideas appreciated.
  9. beechum1

Oddometer:
    seems like something for boats would be weather/waterproof/resistant. I haven't found anything yet though....
  10. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I ended up getting an xBox analog joystick rather than a psp. I'm thinking that if I mount it snug with an o-ring and grease we will get good life out of it. The buttons should be pretty easy to weatherproof comparatively.

Parts arrive next week I think and I'll be working on a remote prototype. I didn't get a GPS module or magnetometer (compass) yet, but I am considering both. An external GPS module will run about $80 and the compass about $50. The compass is great because it is a highly accurate direction circuit regardless of speed. It would be sensitive to the moving of the bars though...
  12. Jäger_

Jäger_ Osons

Oddometer:
    If it works like a real compass, it is going to be more sensitive to masses of nearby metal (like a motorcycle - and why we swing the compasses on vessels), nearby electronic fields from electric motors, wiring, etc.

How sensitive I have no idea.
  13. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    True, though since the display doesn't have to be in the same place as the sensor, you could hang the compass in a more plastic-y area.

Someone really needs to invent/discover shielding for magnetism.
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Some magnetometers can be calibrated for nearby iron masses, while others cannot. Those that can are generally more expensive (by several times). The $50-60 models do not. If I pick one up, I'll report my real world experience. If the magnetometer is parked up on the bars with the phone and it works then it will be a great feature for those interested in the cost. If it doesn't work, I doubt anyone including myself would have interest paying $300 for a compass that works when you aren't moving.
  15. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I typed all this out a few hours ago, and lost it, so i'll try again now that i'm calm... :)

If the placement does affect the reading by x degrees, then perhaps the two most ineffectual positions would be on a top box or the tip of a windscreen. I don't know the size of one of these pickups, but maybe a wire running down the edges of the windscreen.... Both of which are inconvenient in their own reasons....
  16. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    A ziplock bag (or 2 to be safe) works great to waterproof your phone or another option, I bought a waterproof handlebar mount off ebay (same one sold on amazon and walmart.com) for $22.00 and it works great.
  17. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm going to do.
  18. beechum1

Oddometer:
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Yep. I'm going to stick the remote control electronics module in there too (if possible). The buttons and joystick will be on the bars, attached via cable, of course.
  20. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    The Garmin 60CSx has a built-in magnetic compass which works fine while mounted on motorcycles. And if "calibration" were needed, Crafty's own code could include that function. I'd think the difference between magnetic North and true North might be a bigger annoyance, though that too could be corrected to some degree in software.