New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    thks Bob

Pictures, pictures please... or a clearer way of saying where you bolted it together...:D:freaky
  2. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any aftermarket sidestands out there? Mine is okay , but I sometimes use it when mounting the bike (Ya , I know.....Bad boy:eek1).

Maybe I should just find a stronger bolt.....don't want to break it.....ideas?
  3. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoot I hope it don't break. The only way I can mount the bike is with the kickstand down, I'm too short otherwise!
  4. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    I do the same and have been for 2.5 years now. Kinda like mounting a horse. I weigh about 230 with all of my gear on and so far nothing bent or broken. The stock stand seems pretty robust.
  5. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    While this topic may be a week or so old I am curious as to whether those who have experienced clogged injectors use a fuel sock in the neck of the gas tank and routinely use a fuel injection cleaner like Techron? I do and every time I stop riding for the winter or a long vacation I put Stabil in the tank. So far no injector clogging on my 2010 which will be 2.5 years old next month. :1drink
  6. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I found the sidestand mount bent (its $21 from KTM) when I was using my side stand to mount the bike loaded. I don't think the stock bolt will break. Its pretty beefy. Plus, it is a pretty crazy shape and it might be hard to actually find a replacement that isn't OEM.
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me three...on my Yam WRR too when loaded for travel. Can't get leg over the tail bag and panniers. I haven't tried the hop method. Seems like such an ordeal...:rofl

I will say that after getting suck it gets complicated to dismount when the side stand won't go down or it's too soft to hold the bike. :huh

Fun stuff
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I don't use a sock, cleaner, or Stabil. but then I don't have to put the bike up for any length of time. :clap I've had my bike for 4 years and 27K miles and never needed to clean the injector yet. :dunno
  9. yuu

yuu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Incorrect - its the Megura model they have on the site. I've got one on my 690E
  10. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So.....that clutch lever has that magic dimple/bump on it that all other after market levers are missing??
  11. iMoto

iMoto 08 690E, 11Ninja1000

Oddometer:
    At 13K miles my '08 690E fuel pump appears to be dead. While I know I could have gone with the CA Cycleworks pump I found the fuel filter was also backordered so I decided that this time around I'd just buy the pump and filter assembly from KTM. (The 75007088011____³FUEL PUMP WITH FLANGE CPL) I went ahead and ordered it from MotoSport.

It appears this is backordered now until at least Oct 30th.

I see the 2012 fuel pump assembly is a different #. Does anyone know if this is backwards compatible to the earlier 690s?
    Perhaps it is a better pump?
  12. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    The "hop method" works great if you are Chuck Norris and know how to do a side kick. I have the same issue of clearing luggage especially my KTM tail bag. Pantah, you might try a kickstand foot for extra stability on soft ground, sand, or gravel. They aren't perfect but do help quite a bit. I have the Touratech foot and it cost about $30 as I recall. I am sure other companies make these as well. When installed it also gives you a bigger target to hit with your foot when you are trying to put the kickstand down.:1drink
  13. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    The answer is: It appears to be NO. Three pumps returns in our small town this summer on 690 2012.

Paul Jr
  14. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    Albie, I am not sure that the sock, FI cleaner, and Stabil have kept the injector open but I continue to use the first two on a regular basis and when storing I add Stabil. Longest storage was 9 months when I was sick and the bike fired right up after this period. I think it is interesting that you have not had any injector clogging issues and you have way more miles than I do. My sense of it is that there are others like you and me that have not had this problem and perhaps it should not be added to the "known issues" list. :1drink
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Nippyman - You have my kind of profile and I've never got that Norris kick down right. Since you ARE my senior, I should listen up better. The last time I got stuck like that I simply dropped her splat and stepped off. :shog

The nice thing with the 690 is we can still pick her up! :gdog

:D
  16. nippybit

nippybit Nippybit

Oddometer:
    Hey Pantah, yeah I think we are both old guys and the good news is we are still riding and, as you say, we can pick up the damn thing if we tip over. I think we both have the motorcycle and general need for speed sickness as well. I understand it is not curable and is a lifetime affliction. BTW I can do part of the Norris kick to try to clear the luggage and if I succeed I then need to have physical therapy for my back. So, I continue to use the footpeg for easier mounting. Give the kickstand foot a try.:clap

Cheers
  17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crank, just curious. Some think the 690's tranny is too narrow to deal with difficult singletrack & high speed tarmack. I was wondering what you thought and if tranny work was part your agenda. Cool project!
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    What tranny work? There is nothing that could be done as nobody will ever produce a different set of gears for this bike.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I imagine for the racing Crank does, the tranny is just fine.
  20. yuu

yuu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems so. Im able to start the bike while in gear, with the lever pulled.