Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Some of us Super T guys had the Multi12 before. Some niggles leading up to the trip to Alaska, was the basis for my swap, but I have not forgotten the good parts. :evil
  2. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    Sweet! Next time I ride out to Cali from Colorado ill stop by and you can show me the good stuff out your way. .
  3. aceonthebeach3

aceonthebeach3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please elaborate, you had a bad experience with a multi? Niggles? Or the swap was because the super T is more capable offroad.
  4. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went the other way. From Super T to MTS. I only ride tarmac and wanted more performance. The Ten is built like a hammer and will never let you down - but the Multi is so quick and fun..
  5. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Yep, Super T has great electronics, shaft drive, can cover big distance with no worries.

Multi12 was a 2010, my dealer was 3 hours one way. Tank range was much shorter than the Super T. The 2010 models had red loctite on the side panels screws into the Tank, they spun at some point and the tank and panels had to be replaced. Just so happened that Ducati was on vacation at that time so no parts for 3 weeks!

I had to leave the bike, over 800 miles total for me to travel for the 4 trips.

Yamaha dealers everywhere, I was able to pick up a spoke nut in "Grand Prarie, Canada".

On my trip to Alaska, White Horse, Yukon, I saw lots of Super Ts, KLRs, WeeStroms, GSs, GSAs, HDs, but only 1 Multi12 and he was in Canada.
  6. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ace, if you haven't visited, Ducati.MS is a great board that offers lot's of good info on the MTS12 amongst other bikes in the Ducati lineup.

See ya,
  7. Andreazz

Andreazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can`t remember anyone have showed this mod, but I found out that the LED rear turn signals from the 1199 Panigale is bolt-on on the Multi. Only difference is that the 1199 turn signals have longer wires, but that is not a problem. This lights are also CE-marked, so they are road legal :D

I actually like the original plate holder, but did not like the original bulb turn signals. So I think the 1199 turn signals are perfect! They should have come standard on the Multi, especially now on the 2013 model that even have LED driving lights. I have also changed the plate light bulb to a Osram LED bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ greatness! :clap
  9. aceonthebeach3

aceonthebeach3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  10. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks nice!
  11. Sideout

Sideout Noob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. I might do the same to my Pikes Peak.

12. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my '11 MS back from the shop yesterday after having the brake TSB done, coolant TSB, rear was resprung , and an aftermarket reflashing done. Huge difference in the brakes. Heavier rear spring makes the bike feel totally different, even turns better. Reflash seems to have a smoother transition from low throttle openings to more throttle. Will know more after more miles.
  13. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    A few quotes from the article,

"For being built around a 150-HP Ducati superbike engine, the thing seems even more remarkably Jekyll-and-Hyde than ever."

"Yup, it's expensive, but there aren't a lot of other motorcycles out there that do as many things right as the Multistrada Touring S---and for 2013, it does most of them even better. You could embarrass sportbikes with it, then ride it to Patagonia and commune with the penguins. (Shame about the lack of cruise control.)"

Cycle World January review of the 2013 Multistrada
  14. ten.98

ten.98 ...leave a trail

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is just a US thing or what, but it seems that, contrary to Ducati's marketing, most 1199's in the US came with bulb type rear turn indicators. Anyone else noticing this as well?
  15. Andreazz

Andreazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. The US-spec 1199 has the bulb type. But the euro-spec does have this LED type.

P/N for the LED rear 1199 Panigale turn signals are:

Left: 53010282A

Right: 53010292A

Price is around 45 USD each.

I noticed resently that the Ducati Performance fender eliminator for the new Hypermotard, uses this LED indicators:wink:
  16. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Those list as the front turn signals, not the rear.
  17. Andreazz

Andreazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and it also say so on the box the lights came in. But it is the right P/N. No other Ducati use this turn signals, and absolutely not in the front:deal The Panigale`s front turn signals is in the mirrors:1drink
  18. Andreazz

Andreazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think there are some american Pikes Peak owners here on this forum? You guys have them numbered over there, but nr.1 Pikes Peak you can`t find on your continent:D I spotted nr.1 in the workshop to the factory dealership in Borgo Panigale, Italy:evil

[​IMG]
  19. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 2010 MTS owner checking in here, with nearly 21k miles.

A few days ago the bike has developed an unusual problem with multiple symptons. First, the black key no longer worked - bike didn't recognize the presence. So I changed the battery in the key. Still no go. I've tried more than one new battery. Second, the steering lock is no longer working. When I try to use the lock, very quickly an error code flashes - something about a red key not releasing. Third, the handlebar switch for turning the bike on and off no longer works. The gas tank on / off button still works, but it is intermitant. Or in other words it doesn't work in the same manner as before Lastly, the red ring no longer flashes like normal when the bike is off. Usually the red ring flashes every 15 - 20 seconds. Now it stays off completely or flashes at a much much longer interval.

I'm thinking there is something wrong with the key receiver and or immobilizer. But what do I know? I'm just the rider. The inbuilt Battery voltage menu shows 12.6 volts.

All this is coming exactly 1 month out of the standard Ducati warranty. I bought the "Ever Red" warranty just for this type of situation.

I'll probably drop the bike off at the shop in the next few days depending on my schedule.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome, especially on how the claim goes with Ducati's extended warranty program. "Ever Red". This will be my first experience with an aftermarket warranty.

I don't think this hiccup will change my opinion of the bike. Still love it!:D
  20. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in the outcome of the shop visit. I'd much prefer a regular key, though I've had zero problems with the keyless setup on my '10 MTS.