Trying to beat the rush to Yosemite and check out Bodie too

Discussion in 'Americas' started by dmasters458, May 2, 2013.

1. dmasters458

dmasters458 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I want to do something like 2 nights in Yosemite. I would like to see Yosemite Falls, maybe El Capitan, a hot spring and possibly Bodie if we can swing it. Its one of those "Lets just go and see what we can see" sort of rides. We need advice on where to camp (wilderness camping/no frills is fine), best things to see/best rides early in the season, and most effective use of our time. I also haven't decided if I want to take the Kawasaki C14 or the BMW R100RT. My thinking being that it is just me and my buddy and some of the roads are not tarmac so if I take a spill, the airhead will be much easier for the two of us to pick up than the connie. The luggage capacity on both is similar. Obviously the connie is a nicer ride but maybe the airhead is more practical? Thanks for the feedback.
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Tioga Pass (Hwy 120) is supposed to open May 11, but the rumor is it will be open on the 9th. If you don't want to wait for that, Sonora Pass (Hwy 108) is open now. I hope to do the loop once Tioga is open.

Many of the campground roads can be rough, especially when they first open for the season. I would take the bike with the most clearance (the R100RT, I presume).

I'm not sure how the reservations are for camping inside Yosemite; maybe someone else has recent experience. Once on the other side, Virginia Lakes has some good spots. There is a lodge at the main lake, and they may be able to tell you if the campground roads are still snowed in. I suspect at least some will be clear after the light winter.

Twin Lakes outside Bridgeport is another good place to go, and nearby Buckeye Hot Springs is probably the cleanest/best spring to visit. Twin Lakes isn't too far from Bodie, either. The best known hot springs, Travertine, is a slimy mess. I wouldn't put someone else's foot in that. There are some others in the surrounding fields, but my memory isn't good enough to give directions.
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're not gunna miss Glacier Pt., are you?

[​IMG]
  4. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    If you go over Sonora pass there are several good places to camp along Hwy 108 on the east side of the pass. N38.32796 W119.55636 is one I used a couple years ago that was nice. Free.

A few miles north of the junction of 108 and 395 is are some good spots along the Walker River. N38.47825 W119.45929 Free.

Right at the junction of 395 and Bodie Rd is a short section of the old road that is behind some tall bushes that will work for camping in a pinch. Not too bad, and of course free. N38.17581 W119.19292

There is a really nice spot just up the road from Bodie but at over 9,000' it's usually not accessible until summer. Also free. N38.22797 W119.05051

Camping in Yosemite sucks nowadays. Too many people and too much traffic.
  5. GRides

GRides Long Timer

Oddometer:
    The road to Glacier Point opened up yesterday. The Yosemite NP website doesn't show a date for Tioga Pass to open but I hear it looks good to be open before too long.
  6. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tioga is not yet open, and my experience is that you cannot count on projected opening dates. Check before you leave.

That being said, there are many primitive camps sites east of 108 summit. A few are very nice and riverside.

Have fun!
  7. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    They have closed 108 again, due to the storm passing through. It should be open again soon.
  8. roaming_art

roaming_art In transit...

Oddometer:
    Great info thanks! Haven't been to Yosemite since Memorial weekend 2009. What a mess! Trying to find a campsite without a reservation...no bueno. I'll be looking for a weekend to make it up there again now!