BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I like the badge on the tripple clamp. I could really make room for one of these.
  2. NavyDiveDoc

NavyDiveDoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped by the local dealer yesterday. Surprisingly, the 90th anniversary is a simple color option package. $595 (I think it was that much) with no other option requirements. Tempting.
  3. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Pity my theoretical is already America bound.
  4. mrduck

mrduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you ever ride your RT down the dirt road?

We've been known to travel on the occasional gravel or broken pavement back road, and some guys think we're nutz.....

I just came from the garage, where I had to use the shop vac to suck the little gravel from the airbox.... :eek1
    and knock a bunch of sand outta the air cleaner.....that's what got me to pondering this :confused

Don J :wave
  5. SPX

SPX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, I've taken my RT on many fire roads and some dirt. My RT has seen gravel, broken pavement, dirt, rocks, a dry lakebed, etc. Longest dirt ride has been 10 miles of rocks, ruts, with dirt before finding pavement again.
  6. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride with a guy who takes his 2009 R1200R offroad into some pretty hairy stuff. Last trip in PA we ventured into Bald Eagle State Forest, with his wife riding pillion and full luggage. Unfortunately a crushed oil filter resulted in a several hour delay... could'a been worse.

Although not being an RT owner, I've not peeked at the under-belly, but I'd guess that good advice might be: don't stray too far into the woods without protection!
  7. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    Max BMW has a kit to put the GS engine protection plate on the RT.I bought a used plate off another Inmate and bought the mounting hardware off Max.The used plate was powdercoated black so it really blends in nicely.I'm happy with how it looks.Thankfully,so far it has not been used.
  8. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    I may need to do this. Can you post up pics? The black powdercoat sounds like just the ticket!

I don't seek to go off-road on the RT (I use the DR for that) but on some trips I end up on a gravel road here and there and cringe at the thought of rocks bouncing off the underside.
  9. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Sweet, just found dad's Christmas present. We're headed to Alaska next summer and he intends to take his RT on the Haul Road. This will be just the ticket.
  10. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had put a Twin Headlight Ernie skid plate on my GSA and had the original sitting in the basement. When I picked up my RT this summer, I thought what the hell and got the brackets to mount the original skidplate on the RT. I also ordered a set of GSA cylinder head protectors as well to complete the ensemble. Looks quite nice and now my crankcase isn't hanging out in the breeze.
  11. roadstar

roadstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know what they say , no pic never happened. :D Would love to see it also & would it interfere with engine guards ??
  12. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    I have no pics,but it did happen. :lol3
    You should check out the MachineartMoto front fender extender. :thumb
    They said mine was the first one they shipped out. :D
  13. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a GS skidplate on my 2011
    [​IMG]
  14. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with a Scala G9 or BMW system 6 comm system and how well it plays with the RTs radio and Nav system?
  15. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    That is a fantastic idea!
  16. SPX

SPX Long timer

Oddometer:
    G9 pairs fine. Works fine for AM, FM, and aux inputs, but satellite radio has poor audio quality. Not so poor that I don't use it, but it is noticeably poor.
  17. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Looking for a tank bag for my recently purchased R1200RT. The Giant Loop Fandango I have been moving between bikes will not work well on the RT.

It needs to fit a mid size DSLR camera with a lens or two, compact binoculars and snacks, wallet & other quick access basics. I don't like the huge supertanker tank bags. The Giant Loop Fandango was a tiny bit small for my needs but I like the overall size of it. A Fandango sized bag with outside pockets and a way to cleanly mount to the tank surround on the RT without straps going all over the place would be perfect. Ease of access to the fuel fill is important too.

What are your recommendations....and why

Thanks
  18. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out RKA bags...lots of great features, and made in America. Used them for the last 10 years, That is what is on my RT.

Jim
    Canon, OH
    Airhead Steve likes this.
  19. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I had my RT, I went with the BMW tank bag specifically designed for the bike. It's a little pricey, but it worked fantastic. Really liked the bag and how it mounted on the bike.
  20. drrider1

drrider1 just running amuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    what he said! over the years I've used bmw and after market bags and I gotta say the one for the r1200rt is about slick convenient and easy as it gets:clap
    ....now and then u get what u pay for:deal