HJC RPHA Max

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by acejones, Jan 16, 2013.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got the new RPHA Max yet ? Any opinions ?
  2. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't own one but based on some of the vendor write ups, the lack of speaker pockets is a deal killer for me.

New Enough is offering a good deal on them.
  3. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Been on my radar as my next helmet , got a price quote of $300 . 00
    from Competition Accessories . Com .

Just haven't pull the trigger yet .
  4. franksok

franksok n00b

Oddometer:
    Got the wife one. Replaced the symax 2 helmet for comparison. She likes it. Less buffing(she rides pillion) less weight. The symax would hurt her ears and had two hot spots after awhile. I did trim some fome on the symax to fit better, did not work. The rpha has no hot spots. As far as speakers holes there is not a foam cut out for them but the cheek padding has opening for the ears in which the Sena speakers fit. She has no sore ears with the rpha. She has a oval or egg shape head and the fit is perfect for her. Snug but not tight. She did like the symax but this helmet she likes a lot better.
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank,
    I wear both a Schuberth C2 and a Symax2. The C2 fits me better, but its getting about time to replace it and I just don't want to spend mucho dinero. That's why I'm intrigued by the RPHA. Good to hear the Sena speakers fit.
  6. dwenglis

dwenglis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read the sharpe ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on what I saw there, I need to figure out how to make my Schuberth C2 last forever.
  8. kwthom

kwthom I got my next shot!

Oddometer:
    How is she liking the helmet a year later?

Hmmm...first time I've seen that testing location; thanks, inmate!
  9. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reporting to dispell any concerns in this area I installed speakers in mine with no problem. Actually drivers from a set of koss headphones that sound better (slightly larger) than the original smh-10 drivers.
  10. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Other places that I have seen...this was quite a concern with these helmets specifically. I'm planning on some commercial sourced wired solution for mine.

Thanks for that info.
  11. dwenglis

dwenglis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a white pearl one last year despite the sharpe ratings. And I have to say this helmet ROCKS! Feels a smidgen tight, as I usually wear a small. This small leaves indent marks on my forehead. Anyway the desks last year on it were too good to pass up. I originally wanted a white Lazer Monaco but after months of searching I just couldn't locate one anywhere. I'm happy with my choice. This helmet is light, it has great visibility, and not too loud. Anyway I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't own one, but tried one on at the Moto show in NYC a few weeks ago. It looked & felt good, a quality piece, nice finish & good details. I'd call it 90% of a Shoei for about 50% of the price.
  13. KoolBreeze

KoolBreeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    don't have much time in other street helmets to provide much of a real world, riding on bike experience, other than a full face Shoei Qwest I own. the Shoei has a more luxury feel to it and is "sort of" quieter. I say "sort of" since the Shoei has a slight whistle around the top vent. (and otoh the Max has a very slight "crackle" sound with the top vent closed)

fit wise the Max fits my head pretty well in general. the Qwest would get the cheek pads swapped for a thinner set if I wore it more than the rare moment to make it fit better.

have a bit more than 20k (miles) on the Max so far... and it is fairing "ok". I've had to tighten up the visor bolts and it's nice the liner comes out for cleaning. (whats up with the non-removable liner in the Qwest Shoei?. makes no sense having a non-removable liner) I will bottom line something right up front... the Max really is NOT a "premium" helmet. it's not necessarily cheap or substandard, it's just not in a realm of the Shoei Neotec for instance. never mind schuberth, which I expect will be my next helmet unless somebody comes out with an even superior modular before I get to it.

speaking of which... I wish I hadn't ended up purchasing both a Qwest and Max in the first place and instead just went for the Schuberth C3 Pro. but the time was a bit whack when I made the purchases and that is that.

and I can't imagine ever purchasing another full face helmet. perhaps I will hold onto the Qwest for if I ever get a hair up my butt and do an event requiring a full face... but other than that I find personally no occasion a modular is not preferable to me, for me. regardless of crash test ratings.. :evil (even the C3 Pro didn't fair well on the one web site in comparison to regular full face.) the versatility of the modular allows me to leave the helmet on basically all day...

for a price conscious shopper I believe the RPHA Max should be a very applicable option when found on discount. would I buy one again? well for double the price I can get a schuberth c3 pro... which for me is the preferable option. BUT for less than double (sometime just a little less) I can get other modular helmets that quite frankly aren't as worth it. therefore YES I would buy it again given a discount price. (imho its not worth full msrp)

it also vents fairly well and includes pinlock visor and insert even though it doesn't fog up that bad without it installed and I found I don't really like the diminished optical quality with it installed at night. (funny the warning that it shouldn't be used at night...:deal which is of course when a good percentage of fogging occurs)

so there it is... after 25,000+ miles wearing it I can say that I can put my on my Max (with Sena SMH-10 and aftermarket drivers) first thing, wear it all day, take it off for sleep and get up and do it all over again when I wake up. doesn't seem to suck too bad.

:norton

helmets mentioned in my post:

[​IMG]
  14. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 2 of them and they are amazing, really quiet, comfortable and the sena headset works great in them. lightweight too.
  15. kwthom

Oddometer:
    Thanx, KoolBreeze, for that review.

Sent from my teeny screen using my big fat fingers!
  16. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    Picked one up recently and I like it.

After having Shoeis, Sharks and Arais I'd say the build quality of the Max is not too far off and it fits my head which is important.
    The Max seems to be a bit noisy at speed but not overly so. It comes with some handy standard features- sun shield, chin curtain, breath guard and Pinlock plus it's light for a modular-1619gms (lrg).

Size comparison:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Lots of standard features and easy to operate chin bar release/shield removal.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I usually cycle in a new lid every three years and I feel this will be a functional addition.
  17. kwthom

Oddometer:
    One short hour long ride, very nice fit much less noise than the Symaxx ii this replaced. Longer ride tomorrow, more info when I return.

Small screen, fat fingers...you know the routine!
  18. Tazzio

Tazzio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I replaced my damaged Symax with the RPHA MAX. I'm maybe not as critical about the noise as some here are, because I never had a real high dollar helmet. It seems a little quieter than the old one, and it does not hurt my ears like old Symax did on day long rides. I had the Scala Rider on the Symax, and was worried it wouldn't work on the RPHA, however I installed it, laid the speakers in without a problem. Wore the helmet every day during the summer, speakers stayed in place. It's lighter and the ventilation is much better than the Symax. The interior sun shield works much better than anticipated. I would buy another one. I believe for the price it would be hard to beat.
  19. kwthom

Oddometer:
    A short review...

TL;DR: I like it! :thumbup

This is replacing a five year old SyMaxx II. Construction is much, much nicer than I had read about it elsewhere on-line. The standard cheek pads in the XL that I got are a wee bit snug; but that's what you want in a brand-new helmet - snug.

I've only temporarily installed a Performance Series J&M Headset (using clamp mount for now...), but there is a bit of a catch.

As I mentioned, not a lot of room - at all - between the EPS and the clamp, so a bit of juggling is required, since there's also a small catch mechanism that holds the center part of the cheek pad between the EPS and the helmet shell. That took me about 30 minutes to figure that out. Why does that matter? Positioning of the microphone for it to work properly means that it needs to be right at your mouth. Not an inch away from it, not two inches. My longer review, I'll include a photo that explains this a bit more.

An inmate from another forum shared with me quite a bit of information on the method he used to mount his J&M gear to his helmet. I wanted to put mine to use now, so I'm still toying with mimicking his install method (thru the shell) a bit later.

I've only had about five hours of use with the helmet. I like it; very quiet compared to the SyMaxx II that's now retired, how long that lasts, I don't know.

Thanks for the info from the esteemed inmates here for your opinions on this lid as well. :ricky