Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. RMAK

RMAK The Magnanimous

Oddometer:
    Frog, you are saying some pretty controversial things on the Scrambler Cult Forum. :lol3

I owned a Bonneville and now run a Scrambler. The Scram has TPUSA 904 BB kit, 813 cams and flatside carbs. Maybe your extensive experience didn't include any with performance upgrades. Mine moves down the road in a pretty respectable fashion for a beginner's bike.

I can say that in stock form none of the Triumph vertical twins I've owned and rode had awe inspiring performance compared to most bikes with more modern technology. My buddy's 600 Multistrata Ducati could probably play whoopass on just about any of the Triumph mod classic line.

Part of the fun with these bikes (in my opinion) is to invest something of yourself into them and see what they can do.
  2. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    well frog I disagree. I've owned a Trophy 900, a Tiger 1050 and now currently a Tiger 800 XC. My 06 Scram has plenty of get up and go. I have BC mini cones and the air box removal kit on mine. I frankly think you are just trying to stir the pot but whatever does "blow your skirt up" works for you.

If you want to bash Scramblers this probably is not the place, we all love them. We can bash them all we want because we own them and enjoy them for what they are...FUN!

In this age of everyone claiming to be an expert in something you might better stick to Thruxtons..lol:lol3
  3. FrogAndTrumpet

FrogAndTrumpet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bug, don't get your knickers in a twist mate, I'm not Scrambler-bashing! I just asked if anybody had turned a Thruxie into a Scrambler and when somebody asked why, I gave my reasons. If I really disliked Scramblers I wouldn't even consider turning a Thruxie into one. :D Personally I like the look and ergonomics of the Scrambler - and so does my poor old back - and in fact it's one of the bikes I'd consider if my Silk Road trip ever gets beyond the wishful thinking/early planning stage. :thumb

Come on, relax and have yourself a pint on me! :slurp
  4. Mastodon

Mastodon Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely agree about the ergonomics of the two bikes. I had a '07 Thrux for my first bike, and while it was fine for commuting the 15-20 minutes each way to work, it was terrible for distance. I did a 3 hour trip from DC to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back, and by the time I got home, I could barely move, stiff from the cramped position. I decided then that it wasn't the bike for me, and the next weekend traded it for the Scrambler.
    Now I can ride for 8-10 hours at a time without issue.
  5. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps I have an answer. Seem that, for what I have seen on the web, the Shark Retro is for the Bonnie (upper one) and the Bahia is for the Scram (second one).
    What do you, guys, think of that?
  6. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    hey Frog, no hard feelings! It is snowing hard, blowing and cold here and I probably am neck deep in riding withdrawal. I was caught in an ornery mood I had to defend my Scram! I appreciate the offer of the pint anyway. If we meet some day I'll buy you one!:lol3
  7. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    I've owned bikes spanning a range of capabilities, the one with the heaviest foot in the hooligan camp was a K1200R.
    I currently own an ST1300 and a 2007 Scrambler. So I have some experience with slightly overweight, slightly underpowered all-rounders.
    To me, the Scrambler is a bike that essentially says: let's keep it under 75mph and enjoy the scenery. It absolutely nails that design brief. I rode a Thruxton a few times, and honestly, with no offense to anyone, I found that bike to make far less sense than the Scram when you consider it really inhabits the same speed and use parameters. Sure it's nominally a what, racer? and the Scram is a "dual sport"- but let's be serious. I've also ridden a Ducati GT1000, and that fucking thing will get you killed, again while designed for more or less the same riding world. I confess I did like that bike, though. But still...

If we're being honest, there's a bit of posing going on with whatever bike you're describing. Mostly, in the design realm, to cover up the necessary compromises. For me, the Scram is a pretty nice set of compromises. Mine has a few mods, maybe makes another 4-5 HP, I don't know. It does the job.
  8. AZ Air Hd

AZ Air Hd Air heads R 4ever!

Oddometer:
    Greetings from the central mountains of Arizona. I've been enamoured of the Scrambler style since my days of CL350 & 450 Hondas. Currently own & ride AirHead GS BMWs (luv 'em). But still have a hankerin' for a Scrambler in the stable. And since Triumph seems to be the only one to offer a proper Scrambler, here I am. So, questions? What to look for in a used one, cautions, recommendations? And watch out for in a preowned model?
    Any particular years or glitches to stear clear of? Prefer to buy low mileage, mildly farkled. Fuelie or carb?? Thnx any & all, Ric. in Ariz.
  9. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Welcome! What do you want to do with your bike? This thread's seen Scramblers do everything from round-the-world trips to races. Some people like carbs, because they're easier to work on in third-world countries. Some people like FI because it's more reliable when going from sea level to altitude, without needing to re-jet. But for general around town, day/weekend trips, honestly the bikes of all years have been good and reliable.

If they must be segregated, then generally speaking, the blue ones are the fastest, red ones are the sexiest, and the green ones look best dirty.
  10. Dkizerian

Dkizerian Honky Lips

Oddometer:
    And the Black ones are the best all-arounders! :D
  11. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:

Love it since mine is blue/white! My XC is matte green and it does look good dirty!
  12. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    Can't deny the facts!

Anyways, anyone know how many spare amps are available on the bike? I have a Montana, two GoPros, and maybe thinking about getting a third camera too. Is it possible to have them all powered off the bike at the same time?
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if the engines from a Speedmaster/America would fit into the Scrambler as a replacement?

I'm simply asking about physical fitment and any major differences, not necessarily minor tuning etc.
  14. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    I don't see why they wouldn't bolt in. The sprocket cover would likely be different, as would the intake manifolds.
  15. AZ Air Hd

AZ Air Hd Air heads R 4ever!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys & color breakdown. I've got red & black covered, also got a mostly white DR350 & gray DR650. So an army green scrambler would complement the Jeep Rubicon. I ride mostly forest roads & 2 lane hiway between AZ, Utah, N.M., Colo & Baja. Usually solo. Not a racer anymore, leave that to the younger set (check out Taylor Robert#33 enduro & off road pro;-). Got my eye on a Black 2010 w/ low miles, but would have to throw on some blue or green highlights. Has some farkles & arrow exhst - so, what's it worth (yea that's subjective!)? BTW when did they start FI ?
    Were the early fuelies dialed in OK? Better than BMW did the early oilheads?
    Thnx. Ric.
  16. Mastodon

Oddometer:
    I like the Army green ones the best, but I'm biased. A few people had some issues with the ECU tune on the early bikes, saying if the battery dropped below a certain voltage, it wouldn't attempt to start. But I don't think it was ever verified. I have a 2010, which I believe is the 2nd year for the FI. Personally, I think the FI is very well done. The "choke" knob actually changes settings to make it easier to start in cold temps, making it the same as on the carbs. There's even a working idle adjustment thumbscrews.

Price... yeah, that's subjective. For a stock '10, I'd imagine it'd be in the 6 and 7 grand range? Depending on the farkles, that price may change a lot, or a little. But I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at pricing bikes.
  17. syverter

syverter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over the summer I picked up a black 2010 scram with 7k miles, arrow exhaust, power outlet, tachometer, solo seat with rack, and stock seat. Price was 7200 if that helps
  18. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with a friend this weekend to pick up a 2011 with 101 miles not he clock (owner was just too busy to ride), no farkles whatsoever, $7k. In green :evil
  19. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

I run Gerbings heated jacket liner and Powerlet glove liners at full power no problem. Total is something like 110 watts. I turn the heat down in the city or at lower speeds though just in case.
  20. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own both a Scrambler and a Thruxton and love them both! They are different but the same -- the 360 engine in the Thruxton has the classic Triumph sound while the Scrambler has more of a VTwin kind of character -- it sound more like my Ducati Pantah than my Thruxton. The Scrambler has a more torquey kind of power while the Thruxton pulls a little better in the higher revs. For me they are both comfortable and I can ride them all day. Not sure what the big deal is -- if you want a Scrambler with a 360 engine -- great ! -- if you want a Thruxton with a 270 engine great ! We gatta do what WE like. Oh and just to keep things in perspective neither of them are actually fast -- a 675 will suck their headlights out BUT they sre as hell are enjoyable to ride !!