Bass Lake?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by rickf, Aug 14, 2007.

1. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    Yes, I searched.

Does anyone have anything around the Bass Lake area?

Thanks
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ask over on the D37 message board, the Orange County dualies or Larry Langley used to put on the Hi Sierra 25 there. Also the SMTS passes through (see GPSXchange) also the Pacific Crest Quest (search AdvRider) passes through there. The forest may have a map of the Miame trail system north of Oakhurst.
  3. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  4. ghostbuster2

ghostbuster2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have any tracks but we used to camp at Gaggs Camp and ride in the woods from there.
  5. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    Nev er been there before and we are staying with friends at their home on the lake.
    Don't want to hang out on a deck all the time.
    I assume it's all 'street-legal' only up there?

Thanks for all the input. Any maps you guys recommend?

Thanks again.
  7. youngster

youngster Traction Boy

Oddometer:
    I just used the AAA maps when I go up there with the Dualies.
  8. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went thru the area on my VFR on the way out of Yosemite. South of Bass Lake the road gets rougher. Wish I had a Uly!

[​IMG]

Coolest road was the climb out of Powerhouse One. :clap

[​IMG]
  9. ghostbuster2

ghostbuster2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Miami OHV area is green sticker and street legal. There are some trails there that can get you, especially if you are riding a big bike. Gaggs camp is also green sticker and street legal. I would go to the NF website to get a map of the legal green sticker routes to avoid a ticket.
  10. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    this might have to be filtered down to 500 points depending on the gps. Real nice area
    i cant remember what the deal is with fuel but it could be a cluster@#@#. Somewhere in there there is a place with a 1920s style pump that may or may not be open

Attached Files:

11. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess it does show only 120 miles.
    I doubt there is any approved gas above Oakhurst.
  12. TRAILDUDE

TRAILDUDE TrailMaster

Oddometer:

Thanks for the track...Been wanting to ride there for a while now!!! I think I will do this track next month :clap Any recommendations for hotels close by ?
  13. bilmunson

bilmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    we stayed in Oakhurst (10 miles south of the start), Days Inn ($140) and everything else is expensive because of prximity to Yosemite. i don't know the name of the samll old style place that the Dualies used for ride headquarters and their BBQUE, but it was right at the start of the dirt and had RV parking.
  14. youngster

youngster Traction Boy

Oddometer:
    Jone's store is where we gassed up for the bass lake ride. It is one of the really old pumps where they hand pump it into the glass at the top and then gravity feed it in to your tank. Really cool. Good food there too!
  15. MCassle

MCassle Eager for Beaver

Oddometer:
    Sierra Sky Ranch is the name of the place where Larry staged the (now privite) BassLake250 dual sport rides.

Recently tried to stage at a forest service road off of Bass Lake road, that has been used on BL250 routes in the past, and now it is posted as a 'non-motorized zone' by the FS :(:

Would recommend a street legal dirt bike to make decent loops in the area, as you will have to travel over pavement at times.

This is an awesome area, but I know of no clubs or anyone involved in the inventory process with the FS ... so kiss this area goodbye in another decade or so. Ride it while you can ...
  16. youngster

youngster Traction Boy

Oddometer:
    Larry is one of the guys inventoring this area for the NFS. They have the maps and are attending the meetings--with maps that have the trails on them.
    Like this one. The tree sluice. Used to be lined with boards for sliding logs down the hill
    [​IMG]

Or this one... The trail goes off the the right and up

[​IMG]
  17. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for doing the inventory....And documenting the use and history of the trail.
  18. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Don't bank on Jones Store for gas......we rode up there over the 4th of July and got shut out.........with gas prices rising through the roof they're reluctant to spend the $ to have any 55 gallon drums brought up unless notified in advance that a big group will be coming through on a given date........so give "Vern" notice if you have a decently sized group (see waypoint properties/comments for phone #'s - NO PHONE AT STORE)

Wagner's Store is fairly reliable for gas (see waypoint properties/comments for store phone #).....If you wind up at Jone's and you're SOL on gas......you can drop down to Wagner's by riding ~18 miles of pavement.....mostly downhill.....

Trip Report/Photos: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5070

Subset of our tracks attached (I can't give it all away :lol3 ).......(FYI - the HW tracks are no problem on small dualsports.....riders on bigger ADV bikes will be challenged in sections unless your name is Riceless :rofl )

Remember - The FS may be closing half of the trails up there in the coming year or so.......please remember to poject a good/responsible image........ride SLOW through campgrounds and close all gates behind you.....be a good Adventure Rider "Ambass(lake)ador" :norton

Attached Files:

19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    +1 - Much of Miami OHV area is a rutted mess........it's too bad because some of the single track in there could be really sweet if some trail maintenance was done......it appears lot's of folks have headed in there when it was too wet and no trail maintenance has been done since......

There's so much other stuff to ride up there up there (if you have a street plate) that I wouldn't bother heading into Miami OHV on your plated bike, especially if it's a big pig of a bike.......the stickered bikes/quadtards can have that area to themselves as far as I'm concerned.....
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer: