Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Stop That
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Entire thread on SDAR; http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11177-bass-lake-2011/page__view__findpost__p__110690

My portion:

Chris, Brian and I headed up to Oakhurst on Thursday night and rode over to one of my favorite areas on Friday morning - Whiskey Falls. There's no shortage of single track in that area.....

Adjacent to lush/beautiful meadows....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Streams......

[​IMG]

Through (many) trees.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

up rock walls......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hung out at Whiskey Falls for a bit and Chris was "encouraged" to step up to the new guy hazing ritual of walking behind the falls.....no big deal....it was hot out and he was game

[​IMG]

See Brian up top?

[​IMG]

We reached Jones Store about 3pm......Brian and Chris were cranky by now as these boys wanted lunch long before we rode ~100 miles/7 hours......I had a few more tricks up my sleeve......didn't snap too many pics......here's one in a fern garden along the trail

[​IMG]

We went down to the Stewards of the Sierra fundraiser/registration on Friday night after dinner at El Cid (good Mexican restaurant in Oakhurst). Dan Yuknavage (D37 GPS Geek) and I held a short/fundamental GPS seminar then broke off separately to answer some individual rider questions.....hopefully we helped a few folks.....

On Sat we rode straight out of our host's property and up into the Miami OHV area.......neither Brian or Chris had ever ridden west of Hwy 41 so I was anxious to show them some of my favorite trails in that area......

Big Rock Trail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ask Chris/Brian about the story behind the below pic.....

[​IMG]

We ate an early lunch at the Triangle store then headed back to Russ's house via another semi secret trail.......no pics (but Chris does have some video of this and other trails......I need to start bringing my go-pro!).......

Rest stop near the end of Sat's ride.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great tri-tip dinner/raffle put on by the Stewards on Sat night......there was a guest speaker from CORVA (Amy).....I was shocked to hear CORVA only has ~3,500 members.... Good folks/cause.......please consider joining if you're not already a member......

Sunday morning Chris and I headed over Shuteye Peak.....we cut over to Central Camp on a few dirt roads then headed up to the Peak.....unfortunately Chris picked up a nail along the trail but we were on our way after ~20 minutes.....

[​IMG]

WOW, I'm embarrassed to say this was the first time I rode up Shuteye in the 10+ years I'm been making my annual pilgrimage(s) to Bass Lake......really fun trail near the top with rock steps to hop up and views galore.....about three quarters of the way up you pass by this magnificent wall then bounce up through the rocks/ledges to the summit....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris making his way up through the rocks/steps

[​IMG]

We soaked in the views and BS'd with the guy in the fire tower for a bit up top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we jetted back to Russ's and loaded up for the return to San Diego.....too short of a trip......I'll be up again NOT soon enough......I love it up there on the edge of Yosemite......STILL my favorite place to ride in CA.....

Carnage report. The new guy (Covered in Bruises) lost a radiator guard, a kickstand, a rear turn signal,.....and a tad bit of "I never fall" pride......but he still remembers how to change a flat...

The kid broke his skid plate into 4 peices and was a bit worn down by Sunday morning

The WR250R goes.....you know the rest.....anywhere :lol3
  3. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Nice Chris.... but man... what a boring bike we all have.. you just get on it and ride it.. we don't get to have all that "extra" fun out on the trail.. pay all that extra money for an orange paint job.. and then don't have to touch our bikes before we go ride again.. we must of all gotten ripped off...why would anyone want to buy a WR/X...?!?

:rayof
  4. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    As I read through this thread(upto page 135now) it is interesting to note who still has a wr250r listed in their signature!!

A few more months and I will be getting one too!!
  5. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
  6. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
  7. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ilco X248 YM63 from the local locksmith, cheap.

Sarah

8. bhd1223

bhd1223 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea Sarah. I didn't even think to look at the spare for a code. Mine has the same code which makes sense since it's an Ilco.
  9. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    20 minutes because "I" brought tools/CO2 :lol3

The fire spotters at that location stay up there for 10 straight days......then someone drives up in a truck, flips the keys, and the spotter who was there drives back down.......lonely job.......he would've talked our ears off ALL DAY if we had stayed longer :lol3
  10. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I applied for the fire lookout jobs actually, I'd love the solitude personally. Just read a great book about it too call Fire Season.
  11. bhd1223

bhd1223 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes. Another question from me. I thought I installed my Flatland radiator guard until I tried to put the tank shroud back on. I'm thinking I did something wrong so those of you who have put one of these on please look at the below pictures and tell me what I need to fix. The problem is it's not possible to put the front shroud bolts back in with the guard in place. They prevent the bolts from being able to be placed through the holes in the shroud and align with the tab/nut things on the radiator. Also, the lower rounded tab coming off the side of the radiator which appears to serve no purpose is actually resting on the guard. I'm not sure you can tell that from the pictures. Thanks for any help you can provide. Is it possible that I just need to tighten the bolt and nut on inside to compress the rubber a bit more?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  12. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had essentially the same problem, so I ground out the lower opening a bit with a Dremel, and cut a narrow slot in the lower plastics mounting hole with a side-cutter. I was able to get the upper bolt in, but now I can put the lower bolt in and slide on the shroud before I tighten it. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I didn't have a problem with the tab on the rad, but I'd just carefully bend that back a bit if it's in the way.
  13. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    wow. that's sweet! do you have a build thread for your bike or anything?

14. bhd1223

bhd1223 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I need to head out to try and find some plugs to build a cable for the new welder but I just wanted to inform everyone that I modified the radiator guard so I'm able to tighten/loosen the shroud bolts from outside the guard. When I return I'll post up the pictures and mention what I did.

So here goes. I took a file and filed down the spots shown in the following pictures to allow access to the bolts using a L shaped allen key from outside the guard. I started on the lower with the shroud off and after I was able to get the bolt in by hand I put the shroud on because I was able to also get the upper bolt in by hand. I then ran into the problem of tightening the bolts. To solve this I just filed at an angle to try and get straight access to the bolt head. On the lower I was successful but I left the upper as it is just a little off straight because I didn't want to take away more material. I was already getting closer to the bend at the front than I wanted to so I decided it was good enough. Onto the pictures. First is the file, second the lower, third the inner part of the upper, and last the outer part of the upper. On the lower section you can see that I had to remove a good deal with the different curve before I even filed from the side. On the top the only filing was from the side.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  15. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't bolt the shroud on , just use thin zip ties. That way if you fall hard on the right side , the zip ties will break , and will save your radiator. If you use the bolts , the radiator can get squished. I have always used the zip ties , the shroud is perfectly secure.
  16. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    +1
  17. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Took my WR250R to the Central ADV rally, heres some pics.

Saltydog86 on the Northern Highlands route:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My WR nice and dirty.
    [​IMG]

Fun riding!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty decent scenery up there!
    [​IMG]

I even got to test a prototype rack!

[​IMG]
  18. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wiconsin the most beautiful place on earth!!
  19. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    i'll trade ya :deal

:D
  20. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    10cup--hope you figure the key thing out, could be a real PITA.
    Looking forward to your RR hope the weather holds for you like it did for me.
    Ride safe.