Raingear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by chaco, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chaco

chaco n00b

Oddometer:
    My google fu is not so good. Does anyone have recommendations for rain gear to be put on over riding leathers? Thanks!
  2. Robert^

Robert^ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in Portland, ride in the rain very often, and have been considering the same. This is what I have found:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-valdez-parka

It is Pro-Shell so the first layer is not only abrasion resistant but water doesn't get behind it. I am looking for nice leather with some armor. There is also the Icon brand of raingear which should also be on Revzilla.
  3. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
  4. Dcc46

Dcc46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a Frog-Toggs convert. I always thought they looked ridiculous and felt cheaply made. I broke down and picked up a set on sale and I have to say wow I was wrong. Well they still look a little strange. But they hold together well, keep me dry and most important , THEY BREATHE VERY WELL.
  5. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    Frogg Toggs work well. Treat 'em with a bit of respect and they will last quite a while.
    We also use them at work up and down ladders all day in the rain. The crew likes them way better that the old stand-by yellow rain suit.
    That said, for regular use a "real" waterproof riding kit is the way to go.
  6. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I used a BMW ProRain3 before I went with Klim gear (which is waterproof Gore-tex).

[​IMG]

It never leaked for me. I thought it was expensive ($135) but worth it when riding through some cold, hard rain. The suit seems well made and durable. Just my $0.02.

Edit: You do look like a huge banana, though.
  7. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus 1

Got caught w/o rain gear on a ride back from Shelton to Spokane. Never again. I've had this suit for over a year and it's been great. Looking like a banana is okay with me as long as I'm dry. :lol3

Pete
  8. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    You will be seen, that's for certain! :D
  9. izzy's

izzy's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will this suit fit comfortably over a riding jacket with armor? When the rain starts and you are on the side of the road how fast and how easy is it to get on?
    Izzy
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I bought a larger size than my jacket size and I can easily get it on over a riding jacket with armor. No problem. It would probably take less than a minute to get on and zip up if you were standing on the side of the road.

It's always best to try one on, if you can. How big are you? Height? Weight? I am going to be in Little Rock this weekend, and if you were anywhere near my size I'd be glad to meet you and let you try on my suit.
  11. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW Klimakomfort suit.
    I have version one,they are now advertising version 2.
    Original is Goretex,not sure newer one is,as they certainly don't mention that in the ads.
    My version has kept me dry thru some serious storms,including a good thunderstorm crossing over the Million Dollar Hwy on a summer afternoon:eek1

JR356
  12. izzy's

izzy's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'0, 175 lbs..
    Your offer to try yours on is very nice however if you can compare my size to you and recommend a size that will probably be sufficient.
    If you happen to be in West Little Rock we'd like to invite you to try our restaurant called Izzy's, been in business since 1985 and one of the biggest family owned restaurants in Arkansas. Check out our website,
    izzyslittlerock.com and we'd love for you to give us a try. I'm usually not there on Saturdays but I guarantee our staff will take great care of you.
    Sincerely,
    Robert Isbell
    Izzy
  13. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite, Izzy. I will try to stop in.

I have an XXL and even with a motorcycle jacket underneath, it's probably a size too large. For you at 6' and 175, I would say a Large would work and you could still wear a motorcycle jacket underneath. I don't think you'd need an XL... it would probably be too baggy.

I hope this helps.
  14. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    BMW Pro Rain 3 One Piece suit...

It fits easily over my mesh gear, and even my backpack!

Takes about 3 minutes to get on.

I've only needed it once, but it was on flooded streets here in Mexico with buses and trucks throwing up walls of water. I had a few damp spots, but since it was the equivalent of jumping in a swimming pool, I think it was acceptable. It comes with a mesh bag, and packs up pretty small condisering it's pretty heavy material.

My daughter calls me bananaman, but I have no problem with yellow when visibility is reduced.

It's all packed up, but I think it's a large, which is my normal size (6'1", 33" inseam, 43 chest and 26" Arms, 185 Lbs). I bought it while on a business trip to the US, so didn't get a chance to try it over my gear. I put on the next larger size in the store, and it was ridiculously long and big.
  15. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    My advice is to buy a size larger than you think you need in Raingear. Putting rain gear over leathers is a royal PITA, and in my experience, a size larger is much faster to put on. Faster is better when you're on the side of the road trying to get your rain gear on. YMMV though.

Maybe my experience is uncommon, but I would suggest staying away from Nelson Riggs rain gear. I bought a two piece rainsuit and only wore it a handful of times before multiple seems were coming apart and it was leaking. However, on a positive not, it was the failure of this rainsuit (and others before it) that gave me the push I needed to get an Aerostich Darien two piece suit so that I won't have to bother with rain gear any longer.
  16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I use a Sidi K-Out suit (I think it's now been superseded by Sidi with the K-Out 2 suit). It's a very clever and simple two piece design with the jacket long enough to properly cover the pants while avoiding puddling in the front crotch area. I am 6'3" and 216 pounds, got an XL and it fits easily over any of my gear; air-mesh, full leather or full textile with thermal linings. It goes on easily and quickly and if you shop it around, there are some great prices out there. My only issue has been to learn how to fold it properly so it all goes back into its carrying bag. If you're conscious of weight and packing light, I don't know how it compares to other rain suits but it's not very light when stuffed into their bag. I wouldn't want to schlepp it around in a backpack but in a pannier or bag, it shouldn't be an issue.