This Tenere gets its TKC 80s

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Jeremy L, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Jeremy L

Jeremy L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful weather in Seattle could only mean one thing...

It was time to swap out the tires for TKC 80s… now for a ride in the woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front tire, rear tire. Ready to go.
  2. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll bite. Why shouldn't I put a magnet near that part?
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think you've had enough time to wear those tires out first - they still look brand new.

I bet if you had asked for volunteers, you would have had a taker or two. :lol3
  4. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    +1 :ear
  5. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Because you'll demagnetize magnets for the ABS sensor (or eff up their polarity) and then the front ABS will be no worky worky?

On another notice: it's not a bad looking machine but why oh why did they have to make it so freaking heavy?
  6. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because it's design brief was to make a bike that can travel around the world through most crappy roads fully loaded, RELIABLY.

So it was built tough.

It's was never meant to be o poser bike, even if 90% of people that buy one probably won't need it.

As YAMAHA puts it (in slightly strange english)....

It was a clean sheet design, from what I heard and they seem to have succeeded.

Cheers
    Graham
  7. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Well, it really boils down to the type of riding you want to do. Heavier bikes have mass and develop a nice momentum. I find it less tiring on longer hauls and comfortable on gravel roads and the likes :dunno

There is always the little brother with the 660 Tenere...:D

Always the same problem, too many bikes and not enough money and time...:waysad
  8. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
  9. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    In a really inbelievable manner, it feels more nimble and way more stable than its 660 brethren.

Oh and for those planning to ride TKC's just ask your dealer to fit the bike with it from start, i should not cost you a penny then.

@ Jeremy:
    Did the transmissiondamper stick in the wheel or did it flop out with you too?

So to say are the rubbers of it still snug fit with yours?
  10. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh that's probably it.
  11. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO...........how was the woods ride?
  12. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for sneak peeks of all the hardware you are prepping for it. Looks mean with those tires. We need muddy pics or it never left the block.
  13. Jeremy L

Oddometer:
    The Super Ten is some bike. Had a great time out in the woods, and my friend David from Peckhammer TV captured some footage of it.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8c8cg8IzMU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8c8cg8IzMU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Concerning the magnets -- yes, you're right, interference with the ABS would become an issue.

@R3B: Did flop out at first, but when we reassembled we put the rubbers back first, then the plate, etc.

@Dastard: You know I won't refuse you some sneak peeks of the products we're developing. You can check out our skid plate, crash bars, and the side stand foot.

The side stand foot is already available, and the other two products are in development.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you go to Canada to buy the bike? What did it take to get the title in the States?

Thanks
  15. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    I like the crash bars. They look great. I like the ability to remove stuff without removing the bars. This thing has a glove box? Is the rear wheel locking at 1:03 and 1:10 of your video? Did you make a switch or is it just so soft that you can get away with that?
  16. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    It's a loaner from Australia I believe, and I just guess that Yamaha has already done it's USA homologation homework.

Just guessing :)
  17. Don in Lodi

Don in Lodi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He's being funny about how the whole right side comes off to access all the electronics under there. Crash bars too close and the cover won't come off. I too am curious how he got one into Seattle.
  18. hoebster

hoebster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ALTRider bike is on loan from Australia!!! They will be sending it back in December some time. I have been to their shop and asked them of this. This is factual information!!! THey might even be at the IMS show in Seattle come Dec 10-12.
  19. Jeremy L

Oddometer:
    @Dastard: Thanks, we're pushing hard to get these things developed. The rear wheel did lock -- the ABS can be turned off, just doesn't have an easy switch.

@DakarBlues: Yes, we borrowed the bike from our dealer in Australia, Adventure Moto. They saw the parts we'd developed for other bikes and were excited to assist us with the Super Tenere.

@Don in Lodi: Actually, we will make sure there is enough room under the crash bar to remove the side panel.

@Hoebster: AltRider will definitely be at the Seattle IMS, so you should come by and say hello. We're planning to have the Super Tenere at our booth in Seattle and hopefully at Long Beach, as well.