AFX FX-39 DS helmet?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by stubmw, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhhh.....the plot thickens..

This is a very nice helmet indeed. What are the safety ratings?

It actually looks more dirt/off road/MX'y than the Arai or Shoei.
  2. motostrano

motostrano Supermotoman

Oddometer:
  3. motostrano

motostrano Supermotoman

Oddometer:
    and, just spent some off-bike time in an AX8.

the AX8 is a very comfortable and solid feeling helmet, inside and out. very comfortable liner, good feeling exterior and mechanisms.

because folks are asking, who like to have the option of riding with goggles when needed and with the shield when wanted- you can't fit goggles on the helmet without removing the shield- the opening is too narrow for that, which is easy to do.

joe
  4. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    To avoid confusion.. I think you meant AFX-39

5. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    "thank you sir may i have another."

bp
  6. TodWalnutz

TodWalnutz Pig Rider

Oddometer:
    Noob here but i am in the market for a new lid and i am really interested in the AFX FX-39 because of the price and the aesthetics.

Can you remove the lens but keep the visor on? i think that's where i would want to mount my GoPro
  7. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can. Basically, you can convert the AFX to a motocross helmet configuration, with a peak and no shield, or a street helmet config, with a shield and no peak.

Same with the Zox and the Fly.

BP
  8. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Sharp-eyed inmate Rider_WV just spotted something.....the FX-39 is a private-labeled THH helmet!! And apparently, they did not buy the mold, as it is also being used for an, ahem, "new" DS helmet from Fly! Look:

http://www.thh-helmet.com/tx26.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BP
  9. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    These are starting to arrive, got a few today. This one will be my test mule:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weight for size XL is 3.98 lbs with the booklet attached. Figure 3.75 - 3.8 w/o.

[​IMG]

More...

BP
  10. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Front and back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More...

(sorry for the multiple posts, but my Firefox crashes between 2:30 and 3:30 every day, regularly...no joke....much work lost....so I am hedging...)

BP
  11. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Many want to know if it fits w/goggles UNDER the shield:

[​IMG]

It is a little tricky to locate the strap properly under the side pods for the shield, and they do get tweaked a little. Funny thing is they fit perfectly under the shield, no issues there....

On wearer:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crummy photo. Anyway, on me, there is no problem at all closing the shield with goggles on. In fact, if you look close, you can see there is a lot of room for goggles to fit under, even ones with a deeper frame. Deeper, BTW, woudl mean one that extended farther from the face. But....

[​IMG]

The eyeport opening is not huge. In fact, some goggle frames will require that you run the helmet without the rubber breath deflector. You can see the deflector in this pic:

[​IMG]

This is the helmet with my favorite goggle, a ProGrip 3450:

[​IMG]

BP
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty pictures.....nice!!

BUT....howdo the sizes run? I've never had any luck based on head circumference....always end up WAAAAY to tight....but my head is an XL in Arai, HJC, and Scorpion EXO-700.....will that be XL in FX-39??

Looks like this helmet is the perfect candidate for Roko Quick Strap on the goggles....
  13. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Was writing that up now. The helmet I have is a rep sample, so it is pre-production. I am trying to find out if the unit I have is the final fit or if there are any revisions. Until I do, my comments should be considered accordingly.

Fit on this XL is much, much different and better than the FX-37. Absolutely no forehead pressure, absolutely not short front-to-back like the 37. Perhaps a little large compared to my other XL helmets, but I don't know how much use this got. I will need need thicker cheekpads for sure, and often do on other helmets.

Again, passing along fit info obligates precision, and I do not have that yet. These are just quick observations. But fit seems good, and sizing seems to fall within industry norms.

BP
  14. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Well, its good to see more choices for oval heads. :clap
  15. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    One more question please... If you were to compare the ZOX and the 39, fit wise, are they the same? My issue is that a size large ZOX fits me perfectly, but I like the option of running goggles under with the 39, and the apparent better airflow... hmm, decisions...It so sucks not having a place to try them on :cry

thanks...

16. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Can you show and comment on the chin strap coupler?

I don't care for the one on the 37. The snap on the strap is fussy to deal with snugging it to my tree trunk neck.
    I don't care for the way it interfaces with the D rings and it is difficult to get it snapped like it is supposed to be after snugging it.
  17. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    BRTP4: Do you have 39's on the shelf yet? Wife asked today.."You ready to ride?"..."What about that new helmet?"

I CAN TAKE A HINT!!
  18. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Hello Ko.

We received the first few matte blacks (warning...cell phone pic...):

[​IMG]

and I compared a fresh XL to the sample. Fit is about the same, meaning my comments yesterday stand.

I had previously said the AFX fit bigger than the Zox and most other XLs. I played around with them both for a few minutes and feel that comment is somewhat inaccurate. The AFX is only very, very slightly bigger, if at all. I lost some weight over the winter and it seems to have affected my helmet size. In any case, they are close, and the difference so subtle that it should be considered minimally.

We got a few other sizes, but they are already gone. My apologies but I have to wait til I get more until I compare.

BP
  19. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Here you are:

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

BP
  20. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, these helmets don't have conventional double D rings?