Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:

And why is it that on 64 east or west that when it turns to 55 people actually speed up? Or the 295 to 64 east ramp that most treat it like they are exiting pit lane in an F1 car?
  2. markk9

markk9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, no, they are called "Bear Bait".
  3. orgo

orgo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you get hot wearing all that stuff?

No. Actually it's designed so you get cooler as the temp goes up
  4. justdirtyfun

justdirtyfun Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cop Catcher, and always keep them far enough ahead for it to work. At higher speeds that usually means keeping their tailights in sight but no closer.
  5. t-bills

t-bills brushed aluminum

Oddometer:
    New one for me:
    Wearing my red stich suit a lady asked if I am with life flight.
  6. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    "What's your bike's name?"

:hide
  7. doorman

doorman Aimless

Oddometer:
    ^

I see what you did there
  8. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes its good to be the one speeding in front. On the way home from D2D last year, came around a corner and surprised a State Trooper, but he did get radar lock on the guy behind me going to same speed.
  9. babarnette

babarnette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bunch of us from ADV meet for breakfast every Saturday morning. 2 weeks ago the waitress said, "What kind of bikes are those, those aren't normal bikes." Last week it was 22°F with fine snow falling, the same waitress asked if it was possible to ride in weather this cold. So I pulled out my phone and showed her pictures of me riding on ice roads in Alaska this past november at much colder temps.

This next story is very slightly embellished:

I got a new Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel bag for my birthday in Feb. I decided to test it out the next day during a thunderstorm. I decided to swing by McDonalds to pick up supper before going home. After I ordered my food (to go with a drink) I was standing in the lobby with my rain gear dripping on the floor and a guy walks up to me sporting a white dress shirt, dark slacks, and a grey sweater vest with a Harley Davidson logo embroidered on it. He asked me if I was riding a bike in this weather and I said yes. He then explains that he is a Harley rider and he would never dream of riding in weather like this. He then says "You must be a real biker", looks out the window at my Honda XR650L and continues, "what is that a BMW?" I said no and that I was a starving artist and couldn't afford one it's a Honda. When he left I noticed the tag on his Mercedes said "POSER". :lol3
  10. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    So, leaving the gas station this morning I dropped the clutch a *bit* early and killed the engine mid-turn in the parking lot. The bike just kinda slowly went down to the ground :shog

Not one person asked me anything. No one asked if I needed help getting up, if the bike was ok, if I was ok, etc.

Fine, I was ok, the bike was fine, and I picked it right up (its about 500 pounds) but still. I was hoping for at least something from all the people watching. Oh well.

Oh, a trucker driving by did honk his horn in laughter :cry
  11. greenjeans

greenjeans man with purpose

Oddometer:
    Iv'e had several people ask me the same ?, usually i'm in some small town at the end of a long day securing whatever good beer i can find, it's happened maybe 3 times....i wear a darien hi viz jacket...the comment/question is always something like..."where's the fire" i guess i look like a 1st responder....:rofl
  12. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Good thing you weren't pinned under the bike. If that, then they'd have robbed you of your wallet.
  13. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I refer to them as Deer Catchers!
  14. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I've had that happen, but I invite it. :D
    [​IMG]
  15. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I generally call them ... uhh... Jim Moore.
  16. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I found the very same in every small town I've ever stopped with my high-vis cold-weather jacket.

I'll tell ya, while for city use I still appreciate the jacket, the next time I go touring small-towns in Florida, or for an extended trip through states, I will be buying a grey jacket (maybe even the same make/model)... because I do find it a bit embarrassing when out on two-lane roads that have so little traffic crossing them that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

The only benefit I've found from it, out and away from suburbia, is that when I and an 8 or 10 year old showed up at the 7-11's men's room door at the same time, he let me go in first because he thought I was a fireman.
  17. WDG

WDG …Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    I've seen deer wait for the first car, only to smack the next car. :eek1
  18. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the parking lot at Natural Bridges State Park, Utah. A lady could tell from my clothes that I was the guy riding the motorcycle parked up in the lot.
    She kind of wrinkled up her face and said "Why are you riding so far from home on such a little bike ?"
    It kind of caught me off guard. " Little bike ? It's not that small. It's 920 cc and weighs over 500 lb.s plus the stuff I've piled on it. It's about all I can do to pick it up. "
    'Oh, I guess the bags make it look small. "
    WTF ?

[​IMG]

See the tiny bike ?
  19. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    :brow
    Where? :brow
  20. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer: