Titling a Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by KneeDrachen, Feb 6, 2009.

1. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Afternoon All-

Hoping you can help me out. I am SO close to purchasing a Patrol, but just have one question. I called a dealership and they said the Urals don't come with titles, they come with MSOs which is a "title before it becomes a title." Can anyone explain this to me. Has anyone had any problem obtaining a title using a MSO instead of title?

Thanks.
  2. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    All state laws are different. Talk your local DMV and Highway Patrol office.
    I had the same thing with my Royal Enfield. The dealer did some paper work, but Ihad to take a pile to the DMV. A month later a title came in the mail.
  3. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    Your local DMV will take the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) and issue a title from it.
  4. ReCycled

ReCycled Long timer

Oddometer:
    This should be a simple answer, however you chose to live in NJ:lol3

It seems they've recently revamped the DMV and now they're looking for new ways to screw things up. Here's a thread about a NJ resident's still unresolved titling of a used Ural purchased from a PA dealer; http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5865

Its as if you bought a Chevy but NJ won't title it because the VIN# says it was manufactured by General Motors not Chevrolet!?!

This is evidently a legitimate concern right now. Are you considering a purchase from the NJ dealer? I can't imagine them expecting to make a sale without registration and title worked out?

ps: You're welcome to buy it and keep it at my house.
  5. uraldog

uraldog vagabond

Oddometer:
    the MSO the dealer gives you is all you need with your Bill of Sale to get the bike titled since the dealer has not "owned " the vehicle but has merely acted as the facilitater for you to purchase the bike from IMZ . this document also proves that the vehicle is suitable for sale in the U.S. and has pasted the EPA and DOT beaurocratic bull shit neccessary the enter the peoples republic :deal buy it and enjoy --ALL new vehicles sold in the peoples republic come with one if it's a legit deal :D
  6. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:

Jayzus...I was actually looking at buying from the Northwest Ural dealership and having it shipped since they have the exact rig I want in stock. The NJ dealership is of absolute no help in getting a rig. . .I'm wondering what I should do now, don't want to be stuck with a rig I can't operate. . .
  7. Sabre

Sabre Cheap & cheerful Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I'm literally just down the street from Ural NW. Why don't I pick up that lovely rig and ride it to NJ for ya? :wink:
  8. ReCycled

ReCycled Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it SHOULD be just that easy. But, there just seems to be a clerical error with the prefix in Ural's VINs in the state of NJ.

I know several Ural owners(new and used) who have registered their bikes in NJ with no problem, but they've all been registered for a few years.

Sorry, I'm not offering a fix. I just wanted you to be aware there MIGHT be a situation.
  9. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    It's definitely not an issue at all to title a Ural in NJ. I've owned four myself.

Which Ural dealer are you talking about, the one in Belleville?

All vehicles come with MSO's, and every dealer I've ever known has taken it upon themselves to furnish title and registration. It's a customer courtesy.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to avoid doing some paperwork and is pushing it off to you. Personally I would demand they take care of it. You're spending a lot of money and it's not like Ural sales happen every day.
  10. ReCycled

ReCycled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eastbloc, the old CMSI bikes are not at issue. In fact, no bike registered before last year is a problem. It appears that last year NJ replaced the DMV with an organization called MVC. They have a list of approved manufacturers that does not recognize "Ural".

When "Ural" did away with CMSI and began distributing the bikes under Irbit Motorworks Inc(IMWA), they had to go through EPA & DOT testing. This is when disc brakes and catalytic converters came in and they were assigned the mfg's VIN prefix of X8J.

The problem is that MVC's computers link X8J to "IMWA" and the paperwork all says "Ural", so it gets rejected. NJ's new MVC is going to have to figure this out, but I wouldn't want a bike waiting in my garage for them to do it.
  11. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    ReCycled hit the nail on the head with the MVC replacing DMV, it was outsourced to a private entity basically rather than remaining a totally government agency. Kind of like government contractors. It is definetly much more efficient as far as time and lines go.

EASTBLOC, the Belleville dealership at my last visit had an old 650 that has been sitting there for at 6 years and they had a Gear-Up and showed no interest in getting me a Patrol. No, what I definetly needed was a Zx-14 or a Hayabusa. I've bought multiple bike from them and it's been a headache every time.

NW Ural had told me they would mail the MSO to me to title in my own state rather than them doing any of the paperwork.....:huh
  12. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    Not to be a joker but maybe YOU should charge THEM the CONVINIENCE FEE. $500 would do it for me. Maybe you can hagle them down more on the price if you have to do all the footwork and paperwork.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Title, and mso transfer must be done in person at dmv. Ural NW is in Washington, Kneedrachen is in New Jersey. Ural NW did all the paper work for Me, but I live in Washington.
  14. wyowillys46

wyowillys46 Petrosexual.

Oddometer:
    Yup. Ural NW mailed the MSO to my credit union and all the titling got done in state.
  15. ReCycled

ReCycled Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't mean to imply the out of state(Ural NW?) dealer was doing anything wrong, they shouldn't be involved with interstate registrations. The best they might offer would be a temporary WA registration giving you (30?) days to sort things out at home. That's how it played when I purchased a new vehicle out of state, anyway.

My point was simply RIGHT NOW there seems to be an issue registering Urals in New Jersey.
  16. heindlengineeringura

heindlengineeringura svman00

Oddometer:
    When we sell a bike, our state (Ohio) requires that we convert the MCO into a title. We give you a an ohio title and your state simply converts it into a title in your state. Ural requires customers to be present at the dealership location to take delivery.
  17. Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in NC. Heindl is correct that IMWA requires over the counter purchase*.
    I went out to Ural NW and did the purchase and flew back home. Ural NW sent me the MSO and I took it to the DMV, no problem.
    * There is a dealer (down south) who trailers a bike over several state lines to sell one in another dealer's backyard.
  18. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    I have a question or two, but first a little back ground info...

In Feb of 2008 I was approved for a loan on a new Ural Patrol (with $1500 down payment) that had a MSO dated Nov 2007.

When the credit union loan officer saw the date on the MSO, I was told that the machine was a 2007 model and as such I would need aprox $6500 down payment due to the Ural being a non current year model.

Is a Ural with a MSO of November 2007 considered a 2007 or 2008?

Have you ever ran into this type of problem before?

:ear
  19. uraldog

uraldog vagabond

Oddometer:
    your Ural is a 2007 as per the MSO but your state may title it as a 2008 cause thats when the rig was first titled --they are two intirely different pieces of documentation--- just as a birth certificate and an Origin of birth certificate are.---- BTW wander when PEBO's is gonna show up :lol3
  20. heindlengineeringura

heindlengineeringura svman00

Oddometer:
    The date on the MCO is simply the date when the ownership of the bike passed from the Importer (IMWA) to the Dealer. If the bike has a 2007 vin number, then it is a 2007. If it has a 2008 vin number, then it is a 2008. Now you ask how do you tell if it has a 2007 or a 2008 vin number. Simple, there is a "U" in the vin number and the number before that indicates the year. If it says *********8U****** then it is a 2008 or *********7U****** then it is a 2007.