SPOT HELP - Regional Map

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by s1marks, Aug 25, 2011.

1. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    This post is currently a Work in Progress - Spotwalla have update their system. New instructions and FAQ to follow shortly provided their is sufficient interest in the continuation of this idea.

New Spotwalla Site : https://new.spotwalla.com/lp/e3ab-2fa59-6840/view?id=45&lat=45&lon=-119&zoom=5

The above link will take you to a map of the Pacific Northwest region with the SPOT location of inmates who have signed up with spotwalla (free service) and joined the ADR riders location page.
    dirt_350 likes this.
  2. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    That is sweet!
  3. ID650rider

ID650rider MC enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Agreed - WAY cool! just be careful with what information you put up there if you're worried about big brother.:evil
  4. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    Spotwalla has 2 featiures which minimize security risks.
    The first is that you can choose which types of messages you want posted to the MAP page I posted above. You can post HELP, Custom messages, OK Messages and Tracking. If you are going to post HELP messages you need to post at least one of the other 3 so that other inmates can see that help has arrived and you don't need further assistance.

The 2nd feature is that you can restirct ANY messages from being posted for a particular area (the size of which you get to choose). With this feature you can protect your home address by making sure that messages from say 'within 2 miles from home' are never posted to the map. You can also protect things like your work pace, your granny's house and houses of ill repute.

S1
  5. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    Thanks S1, this needs to be a sticky..
  6. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    Thanks Biped. I agree this would be a sticky if folks would actually sign up for it. Funny, imates will pay $100 for a SPOT (or therabouts), $100 per year for service, maybe an extra $50 for Tracking, but the FREE stuff that could really make the thing useful........:scratch

S1
  7. Craig McCurdy

Craig McCurdy BIGMAC

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm signed on and will show up as "CAM".
  8. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    I'll do it!!
    Is that like, "hold my beer and watch this?"
    Just lemme finish my RR before I take on another internet project.
  9. HondoTX

HondoTX Rode hard. Put up wet.

Oddometer:
    I am in no position to help, but he sent a distress signal today. Is anyone on that? Wallowa National Forest Road 4260

<TABLE class=text-small cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>Date:</TD><TD>2012-06-15 13:05:43</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>TZone:</TD><TD>America/Vancouver</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>Coords:</TD><TD>45.78964, -116.73683</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>Bearing:</TD><TD>0° N</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>Source:</TD><TD>SPOT</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD>Type:</TD><TD>HELP</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    09. Broken Down or Bike Damaged. Send Truck+Ramps+Strong men/winch to come and haul me and my bike out of here
  10. HondoTX

HondoTX Rode hard. Put up wet.

Oddometer:
    Stand Down. He just sent an OK message.
  11. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we took cate of it. It was another rider with him that had broken down on the way to Dug bar. Brian at the log cabin took his truck and me and Crossthreaded went with him to assist.

All is well.
  12. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    If you're a SPOT user, don't forget to get yourself signed up on WhereAmIRiding.com so you have an easy to remember link for your family and friends as well as an extra set of 'eyes' on you while you're riding. SPOTWalla is also a great resource to see everyone that's opted in all at once.

Check THIS guy (LeiPar) out, started in Finland and he's gone through Mongolia and in Southern Russia near Babushkin at the time of this post.
  13. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Way to go guys.
  14. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Mark, been meaning to sign up for this. The discussion on the SAR thread makes this very timely.
  15. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    Seems there are some people who want to revive this and put their name in the pool. I hope it helps anyone who needs it.
  16. Ed

Ed Shunpiking Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using the spot service for a couple of years and had an inactive spotwalla account. Just added myself to this. I think it's a great Idea.
  17. Deanman

Deanman Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just recently activated my new Spot gen 3 and joined the location page. Pretty cool use of the technology.
    I've also set up a Spotwalla account, and agree it is a better way to manage the Spot data than the page at findmespot.com. I also signed up for the assistance list, so I think my bases are pretty well covered.

Thanks to all who thought this stuff up and volunteer their time to make things better for everyone:clap
  18. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done! User ID Sp3.
  19. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Signed up too, this is very cool!

"WW"
  20. EOKYLE

EOKYLE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone fix the map? I can't see it anymore for some reason....