F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. DonHS

DonHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again OMG. I'm placing an order.
  2. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Nice, did you go with the 18" or 20" model?
  3. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    18"
    I'm 5'8"
    I think 18" would be good for most people.
    I think the madstad site has the height v. screen size suggestions.
  4. AngryRed

AngryRed Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer:
    Yeah they do. I found it after I posted the question.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Therefore for riders under 6'0" (<183 cm) we recommend this 18" (450 mm) shield which measures 17-3/4" tall (451mm) x 16-1/4" wide (413mm). For taller riders 6'0"/183cm and above we recommend the 20" (500mm) shield which has the same width, just an extra 2 inches of height.

[/FONT]
    So the 18" smoked version is looking more and more like a winner.
  5. RedRoad

RedRoad SoCalRider

Oddometer:
    Cee Bailey's Enhanced 22" windscreen for F800GS

Had this windscreen for about a month now. It really transforms my riding experience, on the freeway at 85 was a real challenge and now it's relatively effortless. Some background, I spent a good 100 plus hours researching shields. I settled on the Cee Bailey based on positive responses from other ADVRiders as well as a general effort on my part to support local "California" business. I plan on riding to Canada from California this Summer and was definately looking for something to help support those 3-4 hour stints on the major freeways. I'm 6'2" with a short inseam 32". So I could be more like an average 6'3"-6'4". The 22" screen pushes the air up and over me. I have a bout 2 inches of clean air over the top of my helmet. I wear a Shoei Hornet DS and can now ride with the shield up and some decent shades. I can also shoulder check for lane changes without having my head torqued back. All around a good choice for my longer trips. As far as around town riding, it would be nice to have a shorter screen. At <65 I really didn't have any issues with the standard shield. With the 22" screen those short trips around town feel a bit hotter in the +80 weather.

As for general dissadvantages to larger screens, theres definately some visual polution with the top edge of the screen in your lower vision. The top edge vibrates in the wind and you definately see it while riding. It's kind of like visual noise pollution. Youalso really notice the bug pollution on the screen and need to clean it regularly. I suppose this is better than all those dead bugs on your jacket and in your face.

Install was relatively straight forward though the instructions were poor at best. Cee Bailey's should put some more effort into a better install guide.

All in all a good choice for the big trips and highway travel.:clap

A few pics of the big 22" screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. vidd

vidd how was your lamb?

Oddometer:
    I really dont mean to be an ass, but I will say it. that thing just looks silly, comes off like a photoshopped snot bubble in a wind tunnel on a already 'distinctive' bike. Im barely 5'6 and the stock screens hate me, they are out to get me with a vengeance, but ... damn ... the answer has to be elsewhere
  7. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Britannia Composites Mirage 2 since November and I just put the new smoke windscreen on too. The original screen was good but there were circumstances where you could get the "right bad mix" and there was still a bit of buffeting (or actually dreaded XD peak vibes) for me.

The new screen is a big improvement!! It's a little wider (3/4" on each side), comes down lower and has a different scoop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the greatest pics but you get the idea.

It works better in every situation. Wider, taller air pocket than before and less wind at the shoulders than before too. I even find I can now run my screen about an inch lower than before and get better coverage. There are times when I'm riding that it's so calm and quite behind the screen I'm shocked...honestly!

I'm 5'10" FYI and I think this newer screen will work much better for taller riders too. I still have about 2.5" - 3" of height adjustment left.

One of favorite things about this fairing is that you can slide down the screen for off-road very easily (less guillotine :eek1). I don't even have to stop. I can push down on each side sequentially and push up form the bottom to put it back up for road use or fine tuning on the fly.

I'm not using the upper dash as a GPS mount though since I use a 60CX on a Ram mount so I can't comment on that.

Very happy with it!! :D

Dave
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. The most effective aftermarket screens for the tall(er) folk will also look ridiculous. I'm 6'2", I have the second to tallest VStream which doesn't look too horrendous, but it's also not tall enough for me.

Even looking at some other manufacturers, like this Cee Bailey's, and for my height, the screens are huge and very 'distinctive' to use your term :D
  9. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you know anybody with the Madstad, ask them if you can try it. It has a built in laminar feature that kicks the air flow up higher than a slab screen does.. I am 6' and have my 20" shield all the way down (below chin) for the summer and it's still face shield up smooth. Winter setting is up 2" (mouth level) just for cold protection and I could still raise it up another 2" if I were taller.
  10. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know anybody else with an F800GS, let alone one with a Madstad shield installed :D

Looks like I didn't do my homework and should've got the Madstad. I think the VStream will hit the Flea Market in the next few weeks... it's a great shield, if I was about 6' or so. Ducking down the slightest bit results in clean air and nearly no wind noise. I will probably make up some spacers to see if changing the rake helps at all since it's soooo close now.
  11. Second chance

Second chance Adventurer

Oddometer:

I've been very pleased with my Mirage 2 also. I'm 5'8" tall and I have about 4" left to raise the screen when I have it adjusted for riding on the road. Huge improvement over the stock screen. I feel it is well worth the extra money over some of the other manufacturers screens. And I think it looks like it belongs on the bike unlike others I have seen. Just my 2 cents.
  12. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm happy with my Mirage 2 as well ... I'm 5'11" but have a long body and I usually run it all the way up on the road and all the way down off road. The new screen looks even better. I have another Britannica Composites screen on my XChallenge and I like it as well. Well worth a look if you are in the market for an adventure riding screen. :clap
  13. charlett

charlett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far, I am very pleased. Such a huge improvement over stock. This is the only aftermarket screen that I personally thought actually looked good enough for the BMW F 800 GS. Definately overpriced but you only live once right? Anyway, here is a quick video... enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8awgxxyqy0c
  14. RedRoad

RedRoad SoCalRider

Oddometer:
    Agree it is not pretty but not every thing that works is. This screen is for my long trips and not every day riding....
  15. vidd

vidd how was your lamb?

Oddometer:
    Sure. And know that I (almost:D) envy you and your screen everytime I find myself on the highway with the 800gs
  16. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What angle do you run yours?
  17. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About the same angle as the front forks. I think it looks better there. In my experimenting I haven't found angle to be super critical-as long as it's not straight up.

I do think the that the bottom of the clear shield should be a inch or highter than the bottom of the black flyscreen. This forces the air hitting the flyscreen up behind the clear shield and enhances the laminar effect. The tilt can be used to maintain this gap while keeping the top of the shield at the level you like to ride with (Moustache for me).

The tilt can also be used to adjust the screen out for over size hand guards.
  18. Saint998

Saint998 n00b

Oddometer:
    The screen you have shown for your F800GS, can you please tell me how much taller it is than the stock screen ? Also any ideas/weblinks on where I can get one ?

Has it proven much better than the stock screen ?
  19. ceebaileys

ceebaileys Shield Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    Here's some ideas and a weblink of a F800GS enhanced windshield: http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/650_800gs_twin_ehws.htm

There's also this standard one too: http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/650gs_twin_ws.html

Hope this helps! You can PM if you have any questions
  20. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    We just did a 3 day 1300km trip (over 750km off-road) and the fairing performed great...and I finally have some better pics so you can see the shape of the new tinted windscreen a little better too.

[​IMG]

I left the pic super-sized too.

I believe it's about 1" up from the lowest position here. As I mentioned before you can adjust it on the fly fairly easily by hitting it from the top to get it down, or pulling up on each side sequentially to move it up. That way you don't have to stop and it keeps it out of the way for more technical riding.

Dave