the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to fitting the new screen.

[​IMG]

Decided to ditch all the standard lights, mounting brackets and hardware and start from scratch.

[​IMG]

Cockpit view is a bit agricultural. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Low and high beam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For what its worth this set up weighs 2kgs and the stock light and screen etc weighs 1.5kgs, give or take. :D

And before someone jumps in, no I don't think its ADR compliant. :deal But what on my bike is? :lol3
  2. BadDogMax

BadDogMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sargent low seat. It's nice and low, and very comfortable, but there's not a lot of foam on the pan so you feel more vibration than the stock seat. I have thought about getting a regular height seat with softer foam to get rid of the vibes.
  3. Motodeficient

Motodeficient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why am I the only one who doesn't complain about the stock seat? Its a dirtbike, not at barcalounger. The stock seat is fine.
  4. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Once I rode 200 miles in a day on the stock seat and it was terrible. Airhawk pad changed it all.
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't mind the stock seat, still using it. I did add the cheapo Wally World seat cover though and that helps but I rode plenty of long day on just the stock seat with no complaints. We'll see how I feel after a 14 day trip this spring though, my feelings might change then.
  6. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    With only perhaps a half a dozen aftermarket manufacturers, producing alternatives to the stock seat,
    it's probably just some kind of misunderstanding.

You're typing from a sawhorse I believe... :wink:

644DR
  7. Motodeficient

Motodeficient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you build it, they will come.
  8. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I kept my stock seat a couple years when I was doing short DS rides mostly in western NC where I lived at the time.

Then I started doing 500 to 600 mile days three or more days at a time. The stock seat was fine for an hour at a time with standing mixed in. It was not good enough for 8 to 10 hour days though. With my wide corbin, I'm ready for whatever... Utah sounds nice in April....:D
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    You are not alone my friend.
  10. KaceCoyote

KaceCoyote Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer:
    Where can I get it, and how much does it cost?
  11. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    cuz you're a hardass? :lol3

seriously, when i bought my dr, it was a 70 mile ride home; halfway, i knew i would be buying a new seat. i know the dr is a dualsport & not a barcolounger; i also know it's not meant to be a torture dewice...

as always,

ymmv,

doug s.
  12. Tech23

Tech23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I agree a fun bike should not be such a PITA to ride.

Tech23
  13. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    So we have hardasses and those who are more sensitive and know their inner person? :evil
  14. fizzerfz1

fizzerfz1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are few like you:lol3...but not all butts are made the same.

About 15-20 minutes was the max I could take before screaming for help.:cry
  15. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I think it's this:

http://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=RRXR650F

75 euros = just under $100 USD

EDIT: it seems that shipping is either $35 or 35 euros, I can'te tell which. The bottom of this page says:

"XR650 RallyRaid Fairing, also fits the XR400 just a quick note we need your zip code to give you a acurate price for shipping, approx shipping prices, usa & canada = �35.00, OZ & new zealand = �40.00, holland, france, spain, portugal = �25.00 uk = �10.00"

16. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done a couple of 500 mile days on the stock seat, and it's doable, but for me, an aftermarket seat makes a big difference in my comfort. So does bar risers, heated grips, wind screen, etc. Personal preferences.

17. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a Laminar Lip 'B-King' windscreen from Procycle to replace my Parabellum 25" (or compliment it). The Parabellum is really nice, but way tall, and I thought I wouldn't mind looking through the screen but I do. I read other reviews that the lip puts clean air on the helmet and removes the wind pressure from the chest, hopefully this remains true for my 5'8" frame. I've tried so many shields so far, and just cant find the right one. So far I've had:

A cheapo eBay scooter shield- good protection, vibrated the bars a lot;

the dual sport shield from procycle (in various positions), too much helmet buffet, no protection;

spitfire (in various positions), too much helmet buffet, no protection;

23" parabellum, good except got some nasty buffeting on my helmet at highway speed. and finally;

25" parabellum- fine other then looking through it annoys me, and it looks dumb being as big as it is.

I'm tired of searching :cry
  18. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, I emailed them with some questions about shipping. Within minutes, I had a reply.

Shipping to Canada/USA is 40 pounds... That's $63 USD. However, if you order more than one, then subsequent screens are shipped for 12.50 pounds ($20 USD).

Oh, and they keep stock on hand in red and white. Other colours are available to order (and I assume this would take a bit longer).

19. fizzerfz1

fizzerfz1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it is time to try something shorter...

I am 5' 8" too and have been searching for the perfect windshield forever. I have tried about 4 or 5 till now.

This FZ1 shield seems to do the work for most part. It blows at your neck, but no buffeting You can find this one cheap or maybe free from the FZ1 owners (this is from the gen 1 FZ1 which is from 2001-2005).

Try it out if possible.

[​IMG]

This is not very tall and seems to do the job for me. Not adjustable and needs holes to be drilled in the fairing though.

From what I have seen, there are a lot of factors that will factor in when trying to find the perfect windshield. The height, weight, seating position, etc... So something that can work for me may not work for another person even if he is of the same height.
  20. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not alone. I'm fine on it too, whether riding dirt or riding across the country.