2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    Yes, not a fail, or deal breaker by any means. Just tiresome always topping off the tank, but doable. If you are going off pavement..(god forbid..isn't it dusty out there??..:patch) you will have to look into carrying extra fuel.

A little like my 1800 VTX..no fuel gauge..none :huh. Now people said at the time "all you have to do is watch the mileage or just pop the cap off and look"...and they are right.
    But it is still stupid when that could have been so easily fixed from the jump.
    Cant wait to see the beast in person.
    Gary
  2. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    My bikes:
    73 cb350
    77cb 550
    74 cb750
    75 cb 500T
    92 TDM....

Bikes come with gas gauges and big tanks?

Never in my life have I run out of gas on a bike, and that includes on some pretty long trips in remote places. Being prepared and situational awareness goes a long way. When I do heavy commuting on a motorcycle I will fill up a5 gallon can at the house in case I am on R and not wanting to go to the station mid week.
  3. jitterymonkey

jitterymonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree.
    This bike is a great base for personalization.
    Want a tourer? Build it.
    Want a Cafe' racer? build it.
    Want to make it a hardtail chopper? No, wait,don't do that to this bike.:lol3

I'm sure the after market companies will start cranking out more exhaust,
    suspension,handle bars, seats & fairings soon.
  4. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Where yat in NOLA? I am in Metairie.
  5. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Talked to one of the larger dealers in the south yesterday, they are expecting 5 in March, have 4 sold already... I think the big CB will be a hit.
  6. The other Ferret

The other Ferret Motorcycle nut

Oddometer:

I dont think anyone would have complained about a little more capacity, however one of the design criteria is that the rider be able to see the two outside cylinders while sitting on the bike. This was important to the designer (probably more than it would be to potential owners, but not our call ). This determined the width. The front of the seat and back of the steering stem determine the length, the top of the motor borders the bottom, so the only place to get any additional capacity is in height. Make it too tall and it loses perspective. Personally Id have rather had it a little wider, but I can live with it..or I will live with it.
  7. jly51

jly51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :eek1I don`t think the size of the tank or whether it has a gauge matters much-it`s the dummy with his hands on the handlebars.I ride a Yamaha Tenere with a 6 gallon tank plus a guage witha mileage countdown,I ran dry less than 2 miles from home.HEAD SLAP.:eek1
  8. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    I hadn't thought about why the width was designed as it was, but that makes sense.
  9. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I was looking on Honda's powersport site, and saw that the Shadow RS 750, has a 2.6 gallon tank. Wonder if owners on a Shadow forum are at this minute complaining about that tiny tank on their bikes? Maybe so, maybe not. Probably not...

The Harley XR1200 I had got 43mpg and had a 3.5 gallon tank. Found that was sufficient amount of fuel, because riding a naked bike sans windshield for a hundred miles was plenty, before a wind blast respite was needed. tomp dd50
  10. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? I found the windblast on my FZ1 to be much more fatigueing than the clean air flow on my naked GS.
  11. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Yep double bubbles and small stock screens are bad for turbulence. The worst I've ever had was a 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050. Nothing helped it... I guess I'm just getting older, and holding myself up against the wind pressure on the chest and neck area gets tough after a while...tp
  12. The other Ferret

The other Ferret Motorcycle nut

Oddometer:
    I use a cut down shield on my FZ1 and my ST 1300. I generally like my head in clear air, but like to keep it off my chest. A small clear silhouette spitfire windshield should be plenty in the spring and fall, and totally naked in the summer on the CB 1100.
  13. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    I live in the northwest... The location is more in regards to my free time then my physical location.
  14. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought i was the only one who rode like that...
  15. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    Tried a windshield on my DR yesterday, had the exact same result as when I tried on on my 919; seemed to dump the air in one spot rather than spread it out, and helmet noise was much louder... I'll be staying nekkid,
  16. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    I thought I was the only one who thought that.
    Of course my abs of steel aren't what they used to be either :rofl
    Gary
  17. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People love to bash Honda for making such bland bikes, for making bikes with no soul, for not keeping up with the times, for continuing to put out bikes that are way past what most would think of as a sensible product life, and so on. Funny how many hits, comments, and enthusiasm there is for a bike that should epitomize Honda's booring reputation. :wink:
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    true dat! and sometimes the gas isn't where it was supposed to be. I was running low in Iowa a couple years back, planned to get gas at the next exit - but the exit was closed. The next two exits were also closed. :eek1 I made it to a pump, though. On the way back thru Wyoming, three little towns in a row where the only place to buy gas was either out of business or closed by the time I got there. I made it to a pump, just as the proprieter was shutting down for the day.

But you can plan for these things. To me a small gas tank is not really a problem for travel. Just carry a couple gallons of extra gas, just in case. Where it would be a problem is having to fill up the bike every time I rode it. In any case, it's not a deal breaker.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a comment - this thread is one of the most civilized discussions on ADV.

Perhaps what they say is true: You meet the nicest people on a Honda
  20. M3-SRT8

M3-SRT8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL! Very good. Perhaps you are right.

Besides, what's to fight about? Maybe it's because we're a bit older, on average, and with nothing to proove.