86 honda ch250 roller weights

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by honda_dood86, May 1, 2013.

1. honda_dood86

honda_dood86 dood

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a 86 honda elite 250 I am rebuilding the variator, I need new roller weights but all I can seem to find are the standard 24x18 22gram stock style roller weights, I was thinking since I am a 300 lb man that I would maybe need more quicker take off as I have not rode the machine yet as the clutch was burnt up which I have replaced also but now im in the variator and looking for a lil performance, like I said have not rode yet maybe the stock roller weights size will suffice,Should I just go with the stock ones or what?
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    If your rollers are in good shape why not clean things up and put it together and try a ride? You can leave the drive cover off for a little while, so if you decide to experiment it will be pretty easy. I'll bet it does fine. There are very few things you can do to a ch250 to improve performance. Craig Vetter did a huge project trying to improve a Helix with an aerodynamic body and mods to the machinery, and finally pretty much decided that the Honda was what it was and there were limits on what you could get from it. He did get quite a lot of top speed and fuel mileage with a whole body fairing, and he changed the gearing in the rear transmission.

http://craigvetter.com/pages/470MPG/Last%20Vetter%20Fairing.html
  3. honda_dood86

honda_dood86 dood

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice I didn't think there were much performance upgrades for it, as I couldn't find anything really other than some "performance" roller weights I think were called dr.pulley brand they have an oblong shape to them rather than round I guess they just slide in and out rather than roll in and out I don't know. I am just gonna order some stock roller weights to replace the originals as the originals have flat spots on them I think some original replacements will be just fine. Thanks again for the feedback. Also what type of lithium grease does everybody use just some regular ole white lithium in a tube or what?
  4. peibarry

peibarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't use any grease in it. Honda changed their tune on the use of grease in the variator. Scrub it out clean of the old crappy grease and put your rollers back in. Be careful to hold that center hub piece when reinstalling or else one of the rollers may flop over on you and put things out of whack.

Pozzi's CH250 tech tips explain the process really well. Full cred to him for helping me out on my CH250
  5. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try some 21G Dr Pulley Sliders.
  6. honda_dood86

honda_dood86 dood

Oddometer:
    So is that from experience then on not using no grease at all on your roller weights? And Warney do you actually or have you actually used a set of the dr. Pulley rollers and if so did you notice any difference in anything?
  7. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I use the Dr pulley sliders in my Honda helix with No grease. I cannot remember off the top of my head what weight they are but I really like them, lots of power on take off and when they lay over its like shifting into a high gear. I have gained better top end. The helix will cruise comfortably at 70 with Room to spare.

It took a few trys to get the correct weight sliders and the ones I didn't use I sold on eBay for Damn near what I purchased them at.
  8. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running six 21g Reflex rollers on my Big Ruckus. Made a huge difference in acceleration when those were installed.
    Short word on rollers and sliders...
    Honda CN250 Helix uses six 23g rollers.
    Honda PS250 Big Ruckus uses six 26g rollers.
    Honda NSS250 Reflex uses three 21G rollers and three 31g rollers and a different "stepped" variator.
    Honda CH250 Elite uses six 22.6g rollers, smaller than Helix rollers.
    They are all 250cc, make similar power, similar drivetrain.
    Differences in variators on all of them.
    There is a ton of information on rollers/sliders/clutch springs/contra spring tuning on totalruckus in the Big Ruckus section.
    If you are after quicker acceleration use lighter rollers or Dr Pulley sliders.
    http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58815
    http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27877
    You can spend hours learning from a fellow on totalruckus in the Big Ruckus section named BRed, he is a guru.
  9. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Don't bother with stock because you ve already got a good mod Dr pulley sliders instead of rollers. Slider Get you going faster and often give you a little better upper speed depending on there weight. You would be paying 30 bucks or more for them Normally. You would be far better with you 300 pounds to go out and buy a set of used Cb 350 shocks and fit them to your elite 250. Randy P ch250 tech tips show you how. You ll find the stock shocks are just crapped. 30 bucks for a set of shocks. In case you don't know the cn250 clutch etc fits the ch250 . If your being cheap you can find a china cn250 clutch with bell for 75 bucks at scrappy dog scooters online. Look for cfmoto 250 helix parts. You also going to want to fit a new muffler gasket which is 4 bucks because they burn out so easy. Doe you have the OEM service manual for ch250 yet? If not head over the ch250 yahoo group and you ll find it under files. Save yourself 40 bucks .
  10. honda_dood86

honda_dood86 dood

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for all the feedback greatly appreciated and yes I do have a service manual that i downloaded for free in pdf.file thank goodness for that free download and thanx for the heads up. The thing about the dr.pulleys are that in the stock 24x18 size they only make the stock 22 gram weight it doesn't give you the option to pick a different weight, but if you look at the 23x18 size then that gives you the option to pick a different weight will the 23x18 still fit the ch250 or will the dr.pulley 24x18 stock weight sliders still give a performance gain? Also I seen that in there about the shocks im going to do that.
  11. honda_dood86

honda_dood86 dood

Oddometer:
    I guess maybe nobody knows about if I can use 23x18 rollers in there or not. So I guess I will just buy me a set of the dr.pulley sliders in the 22g weight since that is the only weight they come in for the 24x18 size.
  12. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a '90 Elite 250. Compared to an '87 Elite, this one is much slower on takeoff. This I've verified at a drag strip which gives you 0-60 foot times as well as other data. Trying to get the '90 model to accelerate better I removed 2 of the six rollers. That helped but still not as fast as the '87. Not wanting to run with only 4 of the 6 rollers in place, I've drilled out all the rollers and went back to using 6. With only 4 rollers I had reduced the total weight by 33.3%. I only took out a small amount of metal by drilling and reduced total weight by 9%. I'm satisfied with the way it now runs that I will leave it alone. Not nearly as fast as the '87 but it did eliminate a bog at about 25MPH. I've changed roller in several scooters and haven't yet seen any that couldn't just be drilled out instead of buying new after market ones. Something to consider.
    Anyone know why the '87's are so much faster than the '90's? One thing, I don't know if the '87 I had was completely stock or not, never did take it apart to see. Of the 10 scooters I've owned from 125 to 500cc, that '87 Elite was by far the quickest on takeoff.
  13. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    IF you buy new Dr pully you can sell the old ones on the yahoo ch250 groups or to someone here with a helix or ch250. Guess someone will give you 75% of the cost of them. If I wasn't buying an elite 110 2010 I buy them for my old helix but thats being sold
  14. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    I weigh 340 or so, and commuted daily on a stock '86 ch250. I never felt I wasn't getting off the line quickly enough, at least in the suburban stoplight to stoplight type riding I was doing. I almost always got to the front of the pack.
    The stock rear shocks are what I had the most trouble with. Mine were worn out, and my weight completely overwhelmed them. The whole back end would just squat under any acceleration, especially from standstill. I found a used set of adjustable, correct length shocks from a Chinese 150 that made a dramatic improvement. I had to re-aim the headlight because they were so much stiffer. I know the old timers will say to swap in old Honda 360 shocks, but these are getting to be old parts, although they are płentiful. The Honda swap requires some grinding- the shocks I found didn't. They were $40, iirc. I'll have to go look up the scooter model, I can't remember right now.
    The front shocks aren't so bad, but I found a low mileage set from a late model Helix that swapped right in.
  15. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Id be interested in the model # of the shocks you used Krusty. Sounds a lot like what I need to do.
  16. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm .. got both 85 and 90 Elite 250 .. both accelerate about the same, pretty peppy .. plenty fast enough to accelerate hard, to get in front of traffic into a clear zone.

90 Elite has high performance rollers and kevlar belt installed. which strangely enough after I installed couldn't tell much, if any performance increase.

85 Elite 250 feels more nimble, 90 Elite feels more stable at speed with higher top end. which I suspect is due to sleeker body.
  17. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best performance gains and cheapest is for you to loose weight. Even 10-20 pounds will make a noticable difference. Scooters are a balanceing act, if you gain top speed, you lose acceleration, and vice versa. It is hard to beat the factory for all around good performance.
  18. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    They were from a CF Moto Glory 150 (CF150T-6). Usually, there's a lot of cross branding with Chinese scooters- lots of different model names for basically the same scooter. As far as I can tell, this model has only one name.

If you want to pay a little more, there's a guy in Minnesota who modifies new YSS shocks. He has lots of CH250 parts. http://ch250dude.com/ch250-parts.html?m

Sorry for the thread jack...
  19. honda_dood86

honda_dood86 dood

Oddometer:
    I think I'm gonna get a pair of those shocks from ch250 dude you cant go wrong with an upgrade like that. Also go my variator all clead up grease free and back together got my new clutch shoes installed and the drive face regreased and back together and a new belt all installed waiting for my new back tire to come in before I put the muffler back on and get it totally back together. I am so excited to do this first ride on my new ch250 I vought it and haven't even got to ride it yet can't wait probably be tuesday or wendsday I will post again and tell everyone how it went thanx for the help to everybody on here.
  20. Slickvic

Slickvic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of those rear shocks from him for my 1986 CH250. These are great quality shocks!