Montesa 242

Discussion in 'Trials' started by DirtViking, Nov 17, 2012.

1. DirtViking

DirtViking SKOL!

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think about a dual shock 242 as a beginner bike.

I found one within striking distance. My budget will allow me to shop for a 5 or 6 year old bike, but since this one is available (and in good shape) I thought I'd consider it.

On the learning side, would it be harder? Better? Doesn't matter?

Would weight be an issue? Parts?

Thanks,

Jon
  2. Woodsy

Woodsy n00b

Oddometer:
    Obviously it will be larger and heavier than new bikes, but I competed on one in the late 80's and did fine against new bikes of the day. One major difference between the 242 and newer bikes is the cable clutch. Going from cable to hydraulic can be a little weird. Threre are parts, but it can be a little more difficult than a new bike. If you are familiar with trials bikes though, you are already used to this. Hope this helps.
  3. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a easy answer NO unless you want to compete in Vintage events.

Engine parts for this model were difficult to get for the 242. My friend in Pa. was happy to get the last known new piston for his bike a few years ago at Mid Ohio swapmeet. Maybe things are better now? My understanding other model Montesa trials bikes have a better supply of parts.

If you compete in Vintage trials I believe the 242 is a GREAT bike, sort of a interim from old slow rev ving heavy bikes and has snappier power and lighter weight.

Enjoy
    Terry

4. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    RUN AWAY !!:lol3:lol3:lol3
  5. noah

noah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought one two years ago for use on my own property to play with. My first trials bike and I had thoughts of doing novice/vintage trials with it, but I just haven't had time to practice. It's a nice bike and truly stock/original. For parts try
    http:///www.southwestmontesa.com/index.html
    I got a complete parts manual from them but it is in Spanish. If you do it, let me know.
    [​IMG]
    Original poster
    [​IMG]
    Mine
  6. GarageRat

GarageRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For any of you Montesa 242 riders, I have been cleaning up the garage lately and came across an engine I took in trade with some other spanish bike parts. The engine number begins with 39M, which I believe makes it a 242. It is coomplete, in good condition, turns over smooth, etc...with electrics. I believe I have a swing arm for this one as well.

Any interest in these items, send me a message.

Thanks!
  7. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    So you did not give us a real reason for wanting the Montessa 242. Do you just want to play around with a trials bike on your property? Do you want to compete in vintage trials? Do you think it would compete in modern trials?

It would be fun to just play on.

It is a competitive vintage bike with the right equipment on it.

It is not the bike you want to be on to go up against today's bikes and courses. It was made in the "NO STOP" era and trials is much different today. Take these things into consideration:deal.
  8. noah

noah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    GarageRat, I sent you a pm a few days ago.

To the OP, did you end up with the 242 or opt for something newer?
  9. haposwald

haposwald Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GREAT BIKE 4 a newbe SCOTT HEAD won at least 1 national Championship aboard won of these.........I believe it was 84 my first experience with National trials. I did a road trip 2 ORE & Wa. from northern Calif.....Watched 3 days of Nationals,Mount Hood,Bridge of the Gods, and somewhere else......Ended up buying a TL250 Honda on the way hom,e.........