Honda PCX: coming to the US

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cogitate, Sep 17, 2009.

1. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
  2. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    So is this going to slot above the Elite and Below the SH150?

Notice the family design language in the X shaped headlight. It is also in the new VFR1200.

Honda seems to be getting its groove back.:clap
  3. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice looking scooter but why no flat floor? I love the flat floor on my Kymco Agility 125, I have hauled a wide variety of things on that floor, from skateboards to cases of beer to garbage.
  4. cogitate

Oddometer:
    I guess because its marketed as an "upscale" scooter, so the owner won't be hauling skateboards, beer and garbage. :lol3

I read somewhere that there is storage there, prolly for your bottled water and chai tea latte.
  5. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    SH 300 please.
  6. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    I'm always glad when manufacturers introduce new models, but this one looks like just another generic maxi type scooter, in the same way the generic cruiser market bikes all look the same.

I know it's not a maxi in displacement, but it could be a kymco, or any of the chinese maxi imports.
  7. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Honda is not known for making showy, flashy scooter choices. They are known for making safe, conservative designs that they make for twenty years with no major changes.

I am ot sure if this is good or bad. The SH300 looks like a good option . I find it funny that they brought in the little ones; but, they know better than me how many of each style they sell.
  8. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty sweet looking scoot. I shudder to think of how it will be priced.
  9. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    I both agree and disagree with you. Honda hasn't really made flashy scooters, but they have made original scooters until the last couple US models. Honda used to come out with original scooter designs. Yes, they took their time coming out with new things, but new things generally looked "new".

Back in the '80's they moved away from the Cub and moped look with original looking Elites, Helixes and Sprees. Scooters languished for a long time and Honda was no different. Then in the early '00's Honda came out with the Silverwing and Reflex, which took obvious design cues from their motorcycle line. Likewise, they brought out the Ruckus and Metro, which paid homage to the past (Italian, Cushman and Motra), but were quite an original turn.

Unfortunately, Honda's 3 most recent US models--SH150i, Elite 110 and PCX--are not original. At best they are smaller versions of the decade old Silverwing and Reflex concepts. Brooktown Geezer is correct in noting that these 3 scoots could easily be KYMCO's.
  10. cogitate

Oddometer:

Prolly half way between the 2999 Elite 110 and the 4500 SH150. So, maybe 3700? Water cooled, fuel injected, Honda quality? Dealers and reliability? I think this will be a good one for many folks.

Then, they can move up to the probably 5, 999 dollar SH300 (I am guessing on the price).

Maybe they will stick a VTR250 in there as well for us.
  11. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    I love the looks.

[​IMG]

Matches the new VFR1200F.

[​IMG]

The displacement is just right for a city run-about, a good companion to my Super Blackbird.

[​IMG]

I'm putting away more coins in the jar. As long as the (Thai) quality is very good, I can see myself buying.
  12. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Bandit240

Bandit240 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that thing is evil looking.
  14. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    So Honda abandoned the midsize scooter market when they ditched the Elite 80 and 150, and now they're coming back with a dearth of scooters in a very comparable size range - 110, 125, 150? Pendulum swung the other way, I see.

Seems weird to have 3 scoots of comparable displacement like this. I wonder how they'll end up being differentiated featuerwise.
  15. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow, that thing looks great... I wanna get one of them!!!!
  16. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    From http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24970

2010 Honda PCX 125 - ~ 100 mpg with FI and a catalytic converter... And destined for our shores next year. Minus Start/Stop however.

Honda has begun production and will offer its all-new scooter, the PCX, in Thailand beginning this November. Thai Honda Manufacturing, a Honda subsidiary that manufactures motorcycles, power products, and components in Thailand, will serve as the global manufacturer for the PCX and is planning to begin exports in early 2010.

With the global market in mind, the PCX was designed to provide both an ease-of-use customers expect from a scooter and innovative styling. In addition, the basic design such as the frame and engine are common for each market to achieve a significant increase in production efficiency.

The PCX is unique in that it is equipped with a newly developed low-friction, water-cooled, 4-stroke, 125 cc single-cylinder engine. It achieves a fuel economy rating of ~ 117 mpgUS (a European Motorcycle specific test cycle). Part of this capability comes from its “idling stop system,” which automatically stops the engine when the motorcycle comes to a temporary stop (except for the U.S. model.) The PCX conforms with current exhaust emission standards in Japan, Europe and the U.S. thanks to Honda’s electronic fuel injection system (PGM-FI) and a catalytic converter installed in the muffler.

The PCX will be the world’s first 125 cc model which will be equipped with the ACG starter which combines a cell motor and alternating current generator and helps achieve the compact engine size with a significant reduction of starter noise.

All PCX models will be equipped with the CBS (Combined Brake System for the front and rear wheels) which helps achieve stable braking performance.

With the PCX, Honda will strive to create a new market in ASEAN countries and plans to introduce the scooter to Japan, Europe and the US as an affordable small-size commuter with an excellent balance of various features including environmental performance, user comfort and quality.
  17. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    From http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/The-Honda-PCX-125i-Scooter-the-Powerful

The Honda PCX 125i Scooter, the Powerful Little Giant

Tuesday, October 06 2009 @ 08:48 PM ICT

Contributed by: news
    Motorcycle ReviewsThe Honda PCX 125i is pretty close to the best two-wheeler Honda has ever made. The price is not exactly known, but some people with knowledge are saying it would not be much more then the Honda AirBlade-i, for that you get a nippy low emission 125cc state-of-the-art 4-stroke engine with the latest on electronic fuel-injection, which means little running costs and a very convenient transport package, the Honda PCX under-seat storage is relatively large, its larger wheel and the front brake, and with the Combined Brake System, brakes are remarkable stronger and better than on anything Honda had on offer in Thailand.

As with a lot of Honda's, the Honda PCX is fitted with a key slot cover for better protection against theft. The overall look of the Honda PCX scooter has a smartened up look as well, it has more the looks of one of the larger Honda scooters.

The Honda PCX is also the first Honda scooter which is equipped with Honda's new CV-Matic, which is a reliable V-belt transmission design, which offers a complete shiftless convenience transmission without losing unnecessary energy by doing so. The Honda PCX is complemented by a electric starter, which due to the latest re-designed PGM-FI (fuel-injection) systems will start the Honda PCX 125i under all weather, humidity and temperatures, although there is a kick starter, just in case you forget to turn of the light I guess...

The kick starter on the Honda PCX 125i can be really useful because you can't bump-start an automatic. The Honda PCX 125i seat is big and especially long enough to carry a rider and pillion in more then reasonable comfort, which is not always so on scooters in the same class.

It's a shame we cannot inform you about the Honda PCX colors, Honda only showed us a white with light brown patches, but knowing Honda they have there ears open and probably doing research right now.

I do like the Honda PCX 125i, forget the skeptic tone you hear from me before. In fact, we're chosen it to prepare a cost comparison that will pit it against most scooters available on the Thai market to see how commuting costs, convenience and ecological impact compare. Obviously the Honda PCX 125i will win, but be prepared for a shock when you see by just how much it wins!

The Honda PCX 125i is Honda's answer to green, ecological and save-the-world, it is so efficient with fuel that you may forget on which fuel it can run. For this Honda has printed clear labels near the fuel intake... Just in case, you seriously forget.
  18. Quickv4

Quickv4 Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer:
    Dickinson, Nort' Dakohtah- Orig. from Wiscowsin
    WHY CANT WE GET THE &*^@$^@$ HONDA CUB!!!!!!!!!!!! You can still get those things elsewhere, but NO, us Americans cant get a brand new one. Im getting sick of "transformer" scoots being imported here.

If Honda would bring the cub (or import the postie bike "trail 90") here, id buy it in a heartbeat.

Rant off...

[​IMG]
  19. approachbears

approachbears 250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer:
    Just go buy a new SYM Symba or an '82 Passport and get your nostalgia kick over with. Or just get a new Honda Ruckus if you want new and Honda.

Also, in a lot of "elsewhere" the riders have moved onto things like the Honda Wave or Honda Biz, which are "transformer" looking updates of the Cub underbone.
  20. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    and honda still has a gaping hole between the 150 and the 600 Swing in the US.

they've been selling a 400 Swing in eurupe for years. why not here?