2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    If it's for commuting, the new SDR may not be the right bike, but if one wants the epidomy of today's ultimate naked motorcycle, the 1290R has to be IT. Aprilia, KTM, Ducati and MV, may not be practical, but instill the senses more than any motorcycle currently built... And in our hearts, that's what it's all about, affordable or not... tomp
  2. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

That ain't what I said. I said it'd be hard to say no to at that price. They've said folks will be surprised at their aggressive pricing and that'd be my magic "Do it" number. I think it'll be well north of that. Very cool and I love Katooms, but $15K is about my limit for "reasonable" these days, for anything in motorcycling. I'm trying to stay well away from even that. I've had my fun w/the cool, high dollar stuff.
  3. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Were I only going to have one bike, the SD would make much more sense for commuting and everything. Alas, I don't think I can make that commitment.
  4. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I have a Harley, a KLR650 and an R150RT. I''m considering trading them all for the new SDR. Emotions are,a bitch... tp
  5. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Brother, fucking do it. We aren't here for all that long. Do you want to be in your golden years, sitting around and recalling the days when you could ride, and wondering what it would have been like to ride the 1290, or do you want to be remembering the lunacy, the passion, and all the times that that crazy ass bike made your heart skip a beat.

Emotions aren't a bitch. Passion is an emotion, and it is the elixir that makes our lives memorable. Drink it up, my friend.:freaky

Once you have that 1290 howling down the road with one tire up in the air, you wont give two shits about a KLR.:evil
  6. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I have several bikes, as well (Most of which are currently up for sale.). Had a bunch of 'em. The SDR certainly ticks all the boxes, except for ease of ownership, overall economy, and (maybe) reliability. Pretty big exceptions, really. Nevertheless, I say again, IF it's around $15K it's probably worth the leap to me. Something about having the best. Yeh, that emotion/passion thing. Crap!

Alas, the FZ is just way...easier. And probably smarter. Probably...
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

You sound like a salesman.

I'd rather ride a bike that's paid for, than falling for that head-game of "you only live once". There will always be a bigger, better, newer, faster, toy tomorrow. So, even if you buy the "best" today you'll be wishing for something better before long.

I'd rather retire younger & ride more.
  8. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    me too, i had a triumph 1050 speed 3 and while it was fast it started to suck at anything over 70 mph. I have had several ktm twins and while i liked them they were never as good as that triple motor so it will take a whole lot for me to buy a new bike now. I'm thinking the yamaha triple in a bike w/ a 19" front wheel and some wind protection would do the trick
  9. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotta' find what you like. I'm a 17" wheel guy. One reason I never could get into the great V-stroms for everyday, do-it-all bikes. That's why there are different ones out there. All good.
  10. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Is that how one ends up having owned dozens and dozens (and dozens and dozens...) of bikes? Who'd have thunk it? You mean folks actually make up their own minds and make their own choices in life? Yeow!

Easy w/the judgement deal. I wouldn't trade my biking fun for anything. And I'm still set to retire at 50. Very fortunate and thankful, for sure. Folks are responsible for themselves and we're all in different situations. Freedom, responsibility, and the like.

Press on.
  11. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of riding more, I'm outta' here. I hear the mountains calling.
  12. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    UNTIL you have to wrench on it or pay the shop to. I LOVED my GIXXERS but, I always felt a hollow spot while out ridding country roads & I passed by an ATV or Jeep trail.
  14. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    What if (God forbid) you never make it to retirement? I've seen it happen all to often.
  15. El Pescador

El Pescador Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Does one of you have a halo and the other a pitchfork? 'Cause that's how I'm imagining this conversation.
  16. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. EnglishChris

EnglishChris n00b

Oddometer:
    I weighed mine on a bathroom scale the front was 193# rear 195# is this a good method to use? :norton Vin #148
  18. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Ooh, Vin #150+ are lighter.
    TUFF!
  19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:

Besides the verbiage you quoted, there is nothing showing the seat is narrower, but it is obviously taller. This would be good for me, as I am 6'6". I have also sat on the bike, have you? The seat is already quite slim and I really can't imagine making it much narrower without frame mods? I am also quite familiar with Supermotos, raced them for 7 years.
  20. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Local dealer FINALLY got one in and I looked at it yesterday. I was very surprised at how much leg room(6 foot 34 inseam)it had. The seat is VERY firm and I understand why others say it forces you towards the tank.

The bars felt odd to me, like they should be taller but more forward. I'm sure I would get use to them though.

Probably be next spring before I get to ride one........:pissed